If the next iPhone did not have a bigger screen. How would you feel?

Metro1088

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm happy with the screen size. I'd have a problem if my iPhone was bigger. I used Nexus 4 for seven months and I never really got used to how wide it was. 4" is perfect for me.

StayClassy101

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Thank god I purchased the iPhone 5 when I did, but the matter of the fact comes down to the increase in screen size would allow more internal space for hardware and battery expansion. Saying this it is confusing that Apple continues to insists its in the right on screen size. I have a note 3 that even myself switch to when upset by the size of my 5 but always switch back because of iOS. The previous years where Apple mocked products for being "plastic" and then comes out with the 5c which really is just recycling internal hardware to create a bigger profit margin. I believe Apple has lost sight of what really matters and that's the customer.

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
On any device a mophie is huge but with a S4 it's far more noticeable than on a 5S.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Yeah, the S4 Mophie is very noticeable, I'm sure the new case with storage by Mophie will be more noticeable on the 5S when it is launched.

jkeitz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I sure hope they don't go bigger. My 5S has a perfect screen size. I want a PHONE not a TABLET (I have an iPad for that). I want a phone that fits in my pocket not one that comes with a trailer hitch!

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I sure hope they don't go bigger. My 5S has a perfect screen size. I want a PHONE not a TABLET (I have an iPad for that). I want a phone that fits in my pocket not one that comes with a trailer hitch!

So many differing sentiments on this. I really think Apple is going to release at least 2 sizes. It seems like it would be so smart for them to do that and I can't think of why it would be a bad move.

Sent from my liberated Titanium iPad Air LTE 

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I think a larger size would bring in more new customers however most existing customers are content with the 4", one-handed use design! *raises hand*

RicanMedic78

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I also think they're going with 2 sizes this year. I think it fits into their pattern since they follow the same design scheme with the ipad as well. I have been against it in the past and always liked the idea of one iphone to rule them all (no pun intended)! I always fear that following in Blackberry's footsteps and watering down the line can be dangerous. But in the end, I think if they market it similarly to the way they present the ipad mini and the ipad air, I think it can work, as long as nothing is sacrificed. But I think Apple knows this.

DaMacGuy

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I have the 5 and I'm pretty comfortable with it after using a 4 for two years. It could go a little bigger, like 4.5" but I think it wouldn't be as convenient any larger than that. No phablets please. I have an iPad mini if I want a tablet.

Arelunde

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I was terribly disappointed when the 5 came out with only a 4-inch screen. I thought for sure Apple would be at least 4.5 to compete with other flagship phones. The 5S was hard to justify, although I did buy one, because the improvement increment over the 5 was so minimal. I'm REALLY hoping the 6 will have at least a 4.6 and maybe even a 5 inch screen. In between my 5 and 5S, I had a Moto Razr Maxx HD and it had an incredible 4.6-inch brilliant screen. Unfortunately, it was Android and I'm totally immersed into the Apple ecosystem with a MBP and iPad Mini. So back to the iPhone. Everything about Apple products is quality and that counts for a LOT. But it's time to offer a larger screen for many reasons - not the least of which is an improved experience, particularly with web use.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
So many differing sentiments on this. I really think Apple is going to release at least 2 sizes. It seems like it would be so smart for them to do that and I can't think of why it would be a bad move.

It's good that we're actually getting sentiments from both sides of the fence on this one.

All we've been hearing about in the tech press for the last year is 'Apple NEEDS to make a bigger phone or they're doomed', 'bigger iPhones are on the way', 'Apple needs to make a phablet', etc. However, I'm personally of the opinion that the 'everyone wants a bigger phone' crowd is an overall minority. A very vocal minority, but still not speaking for the majority of people. Then again, that's how the tech press tends to be in general. At least this thread and corresponding iMore article has at least more than a few people stating that they are perfectly content with the current size for their *mobile phone* device (emphasis on 'mobile'), and don't want to have to operate their phone with two hands.

If Apple can fix the fixed resolutions issue with their current implementation of app creation *WITHOUT* causing fragmentation issues (if I wanted to have to deal with fragmented app compatibility issues, I'd go back to Android), then I'm cool with them making a phablet ON THE CONDITION that they also offer a smaller choice that retains the current physical width of the current phones. Not all of us have massive meat hook monster hands that can palm a basketball who need a massive screen to operate it. I don't want, nor need, a phone built for a giant. If I need a larger screen, it can wait until I get to my iPad.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, the S4 Mophie is very noticeable, I'm sure the new case with storage by Mophie will be more noticeable on the 5S when it is launched.

I generally prefer external battery packs when it comes to iPhones. If Apple makes so much effort making their devices so thin I want that to stay on in my usage experiences.

If I'm looking for the ultimate in protection for the iPhone, Lifeproof cases are thinner and they probably could last through a World War (ha).

However, Peter Cohen from iMore showed this really nice case that echoes what I truly like about Apple device cases, the PDP graphic cases:

Peter's favorite tech: 2013 holiday gift guide | iMore

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It's good that we're actually getting sentiments from both sides of the fence on this one.

All we've been hearing about in the tech press for the last year is 'Apple NEEDS to make a bigger phone or they're doomed', 'bigger iPhones are on the way', 'Apple needs to make a phablet', etc. However, I'm personally of the opinion that the 'everyone wants a bigger phone' crowd is an overall minority. A very vocal minority, but still not speaking for the majority of people. Then again, that's how the tech press tends to be in general. At least this thread and corresponding iMore article has at least more than a few people stating that they are perfectly content with the current size for their *mobile phone* device (emphasis on 'mobile'), and don't want to have to operate their phone with two hands.

If Apple can fix the fixed resolutions issue with their current implementation of app creation *WITHOUT* causing fragmentation issues (if I wanted to have to deal with fragmented app compatibility issues, I'd go back to Android), then I'm cool with them making a phablet ON THE CONDITION that they also offer a smaller choice that retains the current physical width of the current phones. Not all of us have massive meat hook monster hands that can palm a basketball who need a massive screen to operate it. I don't want, nor need, a phone built for a giant. If I need a larger screen, it can wait until I get to my iPad.

Good point there, but some people do like two handed devices and USE them effectively. Even the dainty hand ladies, ESPECIALLY the dainty hand ladies in my country. :)

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Good point there, but some people do like two handed devices and USE them effectively. Even the dainty hand ladies, ESPECIALLY the dainty hand ladies in my country. :)

That may be so, but there's a difference between choosing to use a device two handed and having no choice to use two hands because one handed operation is difficult

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
That may be so, but there's a difference between choosing to use a device two handed and having no choice to use two hands because one handed operation is difficult

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app

Well, two things.

1. People make compromises all the time to accommodate their most desired feature of any product. Some require less of people and some more so. You do this, I do this, everyone does this. Some people compromise to the bigger screen devices by forgoing effective one handed usage. It isn't because they necessarily are looking for a two handed device, or vice versa, they just happen to make the compromises necessary to use the Note 2s or 3s of the world.

2. Secondly, they could be loving styli from the start, although yes they could be the minority. This is why device diversity is better for these people, they have choices and therefore the compromises to deal with (see how it linked there) entailing those choices.

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Well, two things.

1. People make compromises all the time to accommodate their most desired feature of any product. Some require less of people and some more so. You do this, I do this, everyone does this. Some people compromise to the bigger screen devices by forgoing effective one handed usage. It isn't because they necessarily are looking for a two handed device, or vice versa, they just happen to make the compromises necessary to use the Note 2s or 3s of the world.

2. Secondly, they could be loving styli from the start, although yes they could be the minority. This is why device diversity is better for these people, they have choices and therefore the compromises to deal with (see how it linked there) entailing those choices.

Absolutely. iPhone users that wouldn't mind a larger screen compromise so they can use their iPhone and spend more money on a tablet for the bigger screen experience. Lots of compromising going around.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2