Did you have similar experiences with Apple in regard to replacing/repairing?

jpxyz

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
so, i've finally got my replacement, but i did have an odyssey until it came to my perfect 6+.

I sent my iPhone to Apple, because of its display. It made a cracking sound when I touched it and at first I thought I'll go with it, 'cause every thing else was fine.
But then the cracking became worse and I also saw inhomogeneity in the display illumination and that the battery capacity is beginning to sink very fast. So I sent it to Apple and described my problems.
Apple took it from Germany to the Netherlands (Breda) and my iPhone was gone for one week, they 'repaired' it.....
I got it back and a letter from Apple as well, in that letter was written that they replaced my Display. The display was new?! replaced?! yellowish?! and scratched (as well as my apple logo on the back). So I called the Apple Support instantly and told them about that, and that the NEW REPLACED display was scratched up very bad, they said I should bring it to the Apple Store..

So yesterday I went to the Apple Store. The employer said she didn't see any scratches, lol. Then she came with a small lamp and I showed her off (then she couldn't lie about that anymore). I told her that I don't buy a phone for all of this money and 100 bucks for accessories for a repair that damages my phone. She told me Apple now repairs the iPhones and replacing isn't that easy anymore?

Well, after spending one hour in that Store, she finally gave a replacement to me and we opened it up together and yeah... That's a perfect iPhone now. Nothing's cracking, no inhomogeneity, not yellowish and a new and better battery (hopefully, my other iPhone did start good as well).

Did anyone else have the same problems? What about replacing and/or repair now?
And did anyone else have a damaged phone after repair?

Last edited:

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: did you have similar experiences with apple? replacing/repair

Sorry about your dilemma and glad it all worked out in the end

I never had any such issues

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

No, I've never had a bad experience at an Apple Store, but I'm glad your situation ended with your satisfaction. Enjoy your new iPhone. ;)

jpxyz

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site

thanks JustMe'D :D

I didn't have any problems with Apple or the Apple Store either, until now.

But did anyone here of that? That Apple now repairs the stuff and doesn't replace easily any longer?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Apple announced, after I believe the iPhone 5 was released, that they were going to move to repairing certain aspects of the iPhone before immediately offering a replacement (broken screens being the #1 reasoning I think). So yes, this is the norm now...it's apparently a two fold change...it keeps stock in the stores for problems that legitimately require a replacement, and it allows them to guarantee you a quick turn to get you back up and running properly without risking the event of the store not having stock to simply replace your device (which has happened).

They even implemented entirely new screen replacement machines in the stores (obviously behind the scenes) to keep up with demand.

Apple overhauling repairs program, will replace iPhone 5 displays in-store for $149 | The Verge

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Usually when I go in store, they replace it right there and I am out with a working phone that day. It sucks to have to wait a week and have the issues that you described.

Fit24

Trusted Member
Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I've never had a bad experience when visiting an Apple Store for repair. I'm glad everything worked out for you.

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
It's been a while since I've had to have a device warrantied. Back then they just replaced with a refurb. I was in and out in less than 30 minutes. I always go to a store if I can (I'm lucky in that I'm near a couple) so I can inspect the device (repaired or refurbed) before I leave the store. One time I had to ask the guy to keep going back and pick something that didn't have a completely run down battery. (I don't care that a device needs to be charged - I care that if a Li based battery is left at 0 charge, it degrades quicker. The first couple of devices were completely dead (wouldn't wake up until plugged in for 10 minutes).) So, going to a store is my preferred way. I haven't ever dealt with having to ship the device off.

Bluegrass54

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site

From EU. Per Apple support Instructions, (defective sleep button) UPS picked up my I P 5 in prepaid box with apple label to ship to repair facility in Holland. UPS advised Phone was received. Rec notice from Repair Fac that phone was there and here is where the horror show started: they had wrong SN and IMEM for my phone. Called Customer service and after several referrals they asked; if phone bought in France, it wasn't; bought in US; and was this second phone.
Finally spoke with some contact in Cork Ireland who seemed to be sympathic and said she would would look into it Few days later she reports my phone with real SN is lost!!!. Said after investigation would send replacement; Phone i sent in was 32 GB phone I got back was 16. They meaning the repair facility just seemed unable to reconcile that they had the wrong phone at least it was not my phone. Now I will try to get another replacement. Should have taken it to Apple store. I have invested hours of time on trying to fix an Apple Mistake. I think all these yahoos are contractors or something. If they the repair facility is so high tech, part of their name how can they lose a $700 phone, never find it, get SN wrong, ship me wrong phone.
Just received Phone call from Apple that they will retrieve the wrong phone via UPS, upon proof that it has been shipped, send me a New I Phone 5S.That is acceptable and I hope it works smoothly.
Perhaps I spoke too early. Still waiting on them to pick up wrong phone they sent me and deliver the new 5S. Seems that the various international depth can not talk or coordinate with each other. 19 days without a phone!!
Make that 29 days without phone. My Contact went on leave for 2 weeks; have alternate who I hope is aware; old phone shipped and received by Apple; no word yet on replacement Phone. Very slow, disorganized, non customer oriented service.
Replacement phone 5 S 32 GB brand new received yesterday. 29 days.
Decided that Apple was responsible for me not having my phone for 29 days so wrote letter to Corporate HQ in CA on 13 July. Basically outlined in detail the issues with the repair and loss of phone; asked for some credit for purchase of I phone 6. No reply received as of 3 August. I am getting feeling Apple is really about selling their products and repair is not important. It is important if they want to have repeat customers.
Have not received a reply from Mr Cook or his representative. Did receive e-mail from some Apple Rep in Germany asking about the issue. tried to call him several times, always busy. He called me but I was away. Sent him 3 so far unanswered Emails asking about the status. No reply. Not surprised as this is pretty normal for Germany customer support. It is misnomar to even call it Customer Support; should be Customer Frustration.

Last edited:

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
No I've always had good experiences with Apple. The home button on my 3G phone stopped working. I took it the Apple Store and received a replacement. After wards I was having lunch at a nearby restaurant and I noticed that the wifi was not working properly on the replacement. I took it back to the store and the staff were very Apologetic. I was given another replacement and the genius personally did the set up and made sure that it was working correctly before I left the store.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2