iPhone 6 Plus showing up as iPhone 6???

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
All, need your expertise here. I am meeting someone tomorrow to potentially purchase an iPhone 6 Plus. He says it is an unlocked 64GB model, but a few things don't jive:

- I asked for the serial number so I could check support and when I entered the serial number in, it showed up as an iPhone 6, not a 6 Plus. Is that possible? Also, it showed that support on the device ends on 9/18/2015. I thought release date was 9/19/2014, so this is a day off, but that is not as concerning as the serial number.

- I asked for the model number and he said it was MG492ZP/A. When I googled that, it showed up as a 16GB gold iPhone 6 (again, not a 6 plus).

I will also add that he advertised this as a jailbroken device, so maybe that altered some of the info, but I don't know why it would?? I will also add that I checked and it does not have activation lock on the serial number he provided, so that's at least a good sign. Should I be concerned?

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't think jail breaking would change serial numbers. So it probably is a regular 6. At least if you meet with him it is easy to tell the difference unlike between the 5/5S when there weren't necessarily and simple visual clues.
As always I recommend meeting in an Apple or carrier store for your safety and to confirm no issues.

Thank you! Yea, the size makes it obvious. I just find it strange that it's so off. He says it's the same size as his Note 4, so that's a good indication that it's a 6 plus. I've asked him to send me the IMEI and model that's etched in the back cover of the phone as well. Still waiting to hear back.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't sound legit. Unless the seller is not that knowledgeable and doesn't know the difference. In any case it's not what you want. Too many horror stories out there of people getting robbed or worse doing iPhone deals.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't sound legit. Unless the seller is not that knowledgeable and doesn't know the difference. In any case it's not what you want. Too many horror stories out there of people getting robbed or worse doing iPhone deals.

Even if he's not knowledgeable, I don't know how he could mess up giving me a model and serial number. The horror stories are what's giving me pause about this one.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Looks like it's the unlocked A1524 model. It's an international iPhone 6 Plus, not one for the US. I wonder if it'll get LTE on AT&T.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Though it seems you have some valid evidence that could explain the serial # phenomena...I would be very careful with the transaction, and if possible, I would have the seller meet you at your carrier store so that you can have the phone transferred over without any muss or fuss before you hand over a bunch of cash on a phone that has some red flags sticking up for you.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Though it seems you have some valid evidence that could explain the serial # phenomena...I would be very careful with the transaction, and if possible, I would have the seller meet you at your carrier store so that you can have the phone transferred over without any muss or fuss before you hand over a bunch of cash on a phone that has some red flags sticking up for you.

Agree. Always better to be safe and do everything in a carrier/apple store so you can make sure everything is legit and works before handing over your hard earned money.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Agree. Always better to be safe and do everything in a carrier/apple store so you can make sure everything is legit and works before handing over your hard earned money.

I went to meet him. Young kid whose buddy owed him some money and gave him the phone instead. It was a fake! I've read about iPhone clones before but have never seen one until today. At first glance, it looked real from the box all the way down to the device itself. But the device felt cheap and light. Here are other things I notice right off:
- in settings, it showed that I had 31 gb available, even though it was supposed the 64gb model.
- the UI was very laggy, especially when you pull down to do a spotlight search
- the Lightning port is way too big so the charger doesn't fit snugly
- when I plugged into my MBP, it said USB mass storage device found. Lol.

Obviously, I did not buy it. I felt kind of bad for the kid bc he doesn't use iOS devices and had no clue. I told him he got duped by his buddy.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Wow. Was it Gold like the serial number indicated? I've never seen a fake iPhone of any kind.

It was space grey. They make a lot of iPhone clones in Asia and I've read about them but wow, this was a first. It was so obvious after about 3 seconds of inspection. Oh I forgot to mention that the keyboard had squared edges instead of rounded edges.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Dodged a bullet there...you gotta be on your game with sellers these days. People like him, who either don't "know" or knew they were ripped off and they're trying to make some cash back on their initial loss.

I had a lady try to sell me a fake iPhone a few years ago when I was trying to flip iPhone 5's...it wasn't even as good as the one you saw, and didn't even have iOS running on it. She got so pissed when I called her out, but left because she knew I knew. It's pretty sad.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Dodged a bullet there...you gotta be on your game with sellers these days. People like him, who either don't "know" or knew they were ripped off and they're trying to make some cash back on their initial loss.

I had a lady try to sell me a fake iPhone a few years ago when I was trying to flip iPhone 5's...it wasn't even as good as the one you saw, and didn't even have iOS running on it. She got so pissed when I called her out, but left because she knew I knew. It's pretty sad.

Yea. I'm pretty sure this kid was oblivious. He was so cooperative the entire time. He just wanted his money back.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Yea. I'm pretty sure this kid was oblivious. He was so cooperative the entire time. He just wanted his money back.
That's crazy stuff. People are so shady it's sad. Makes it harder for honest people to sell their old devices

Sent from my Gold iPad Air using Tapatalk

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Good thing nothing else happened other than a fake phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea no kidding. I had my husband with me. He is either with me or goes alone on these deals bc iPhones are in such high demand.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Yea no kidding. I had my husband with me. He is either with me or goes alone on these deals bc iPhones are in such high demand.
I have a friend who is always flipping sneakers (I guess people pay a high price for them) on Craig's List. Whenever he does he sends me his location of where the deal is going down just in case something happens. Of course he's half joking but you never know with these criminals.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I have a friend who is always flipping sneakers (I guess people pay a high price for them) on Craig's List. Whenever he does he sends me his location of where the deal is going down just in case something happens. Of course he's half joking but you never know with these criminals.

That's not a bad idea at all. Like you said, you never know.