Used Apple Pay with debit card and terminal still asking for PIN?

Agpe17

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't be more pleased with ApplePay.

Just went to CVS for some bread - they have self-checkout registers there. I was literally in and out in about 1 minute. ApplePay worked like a charm!

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Found a subway today that had NFC and I was prompted for a PIN. I cancelled it and tried it again after telling the cashier I needed to rescan. She reset something on her end and I tried it again and was not prompted for a PIN.

jaweston12

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Yes, it happened to me at Walgreens yesterday. It must be because I had my debit card on file with Walgreens before Apple Pay came into being.

Perhaps my card is linked to my Walgreens Passbook account and Walgreens runs my debit card through just for good measure. Otherwise, at a never-before-used merchant, I don't think I would need to enter my PIN code.

metacuate

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Yes, it happened to me at Walgreens yesterday. It must be because I had my debit card on file with Walgreens before Apple Pay came into being.

Perhaps my card is linked to my Walgreens Passbook account and Walgreens runs my debit card through just for good measure. Otherwise, at a never-before-used merchant, I don't think I would need to enter my PIN code.

They don't get your debit card number... Not even your name.

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
My credit union is not set up for me to use Apple pay. I've tried to load my card but it keeps telling me that my bank hasn't been added yet and to try back later.

rdubmu

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I went to Walgreens yesterday to try out Apple Pay.....I have a Chase debit card....it worked fine but I still had to input my PIN. I thought my fingerprint was supposed to kill that?? Anyone else had this happen to them?

Same thing for me, it asked for a pin

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Just to update a little on this thread. I recently switched out my credit card terminals for newer ones as of yesterday. They're equipped with NFC and accept Apple Pay without a problem. I tested the debit method. It seems that once the customer makes the tap, the vendor still has the choice of whether to charge the transaction as a debit or credit. It seems that no matter what, if you're being charged in debit form, it requires a PIN. That's just what debit is.

By the way, no matter how much the sale is, the debit fee on our end is only 15 cents flat on the sale as opposed to a percentage on credit. Which could be why many vendors still choose to charge you debit. They just get charged less.

rdubmu

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Opposite for me. I pay 15 cents for a debit transaction whether the customer is paying $1.00 or $1,000

Actually we are talking about the same thing... Credit charges %, so it is cheaper under $25, debit is less expensive after $25 as it is a fixed cost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robbrick

Dec 12, 2003
www.dimensiondvd.com
Trader Joe's still asks for a PIN when using Apple Pay for my groceries. I don't mind. It keeps me safer. But I'll agree, it's not as quick having to enter a PIN.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77