One-Handed Use of iPhone 6 Plus (w/ Video)

Big Dookie

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
I made this video for some people asking about it in another forum, but I figured some of you guys might find it helpful as well. Just a quick video I shot of myself using the 6+ with one hand, and some of the stuff you might actually do on a day-to-day basis.

Note, I'm not saying that this is the best way to use the 6+, just that it is possible for those who are acclimated to one-handed use. For reference, I am 5'10" and have what I would consider average hand size for my height, and I am using my non-dominant hand in the video.

Hope this helps for people who are still on the fence and getting hung up on this issue.

Big Dookie

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I think you could probably rest them on the back instead of gripping it like I do, but I know for me at least I definitely feel less secure that way. Much of how comfortable you are probably depends on whether or not you have a good grippy case on it. If I was confident it wouldn't slide off of my fingers then it would be fine, but for me, the bare iPhone 6 feels slippery as an eel. Thus the death grip I employed in the video.

Big Dookie

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, when I'm using two hands this is how I do it as well. This is definitely meant to be a 2-handed phone for sure. But at least it's not impossible to do most things one-handed as well if you need to.

xoxojess

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I use the resting on the back method because my hands aren't big enough to grip around the sides and use it one-handed.

Same here Karen. To be honest though, when I got the 6+ I realized that I rarely use my phone one-handed. It's an odd thing but for some reason, I always seem to have a hold on it with both.

terreos

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
The only time I find myself one handing my 6+ is to read manga, web browse, and select music. Everything else I've been using two hands. I can type using one hand if I position my fingers in the middle back of the phone. But with the phone being so slippery feeling I try only to do this when I'm sitting.

Big Dookie

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
Same here Karen. To be honest though, when I got the 6+ I realized that I rarely use my phone one-handed. It's an odd thing but for some reason, I always seem to have a hold on it with both.

It's actually interesting when you think about it. What are the situations where you really NEED to use your phone one-handed? Most of the ones I can think of are probably situations where you probably shouldn't be using your phone at all anyway.

• Walking down the street (not paying attention to your surroundings)
  • Driving (Everyone knows the dangers of driving while using your phone)
  • Dog Walking (or any situation where there's something in your other hand that you should be paying more attention to)

Etc..

For the most part, most situations where you have to use one hand are probably situations where you shouldn't be using your phone at all. There's only one real exception I can think of here - probably the most obvious one that no one wants to talk about. But let's just say that in that particular situation, the larger screen outweighs any usability concerns. :redface:

Lesawags

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Boy, seeing how far your them reaches, makes me wish my thumbs were longer. Lol.. I'm a girl and use it one handed with most things as well. I think I'll look into plastic surgery.. Maybe get a thumb extension. Have you guys noticed that a lot of people hold there phone in their non-dominate hand?? I find that interesting. I was born a lefty, but was made to stand in front of my desk ( in kindergarten) with my left hand behind my back, and learn to use my right.. this was in 1973.. In PUBLIC school. Awful.. I can now use both hands pretty much equally.. But I hold my phone left handed and use my left thumb.. Sorry off topic..

Big Dookie

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
Boy, seeing how far your them reaches, makes me wish my thumbs were longer. Lol.. I'm a girl and use it one handed with most things as well. I think I'll look into plastic surgery.. Maybe get a thumb extension. Have you guys noticed that a lot of people hold there phone in their non-dominate hand?? I find that interesting. I was born a lefty, but was made to stand in front of my desk ( in kindergarten) with my left hand behind my back, and learn to use my right.. this was in 1973.. In PUBLIC school. Awful.. I can now use both hands pretty much equally.. But I hold my phone left handed and use my left thumb.. Sorry off topic..

That's actually an interesting comment. I made a point of holding in my left hand because it was non-dominant and I assumed that would make it more difficult. But thinking about it... I almost always hold it in my left hand when using it one-handed. So I just tried doing the same gestures in my dominant (right) hand, and what do you know, everything felt a lot more difficult!

I think it has to do with the idea of people using their phone as a periphery to whatever else they're doing. If you're eating, you obviously need to use your dominant hand to use the fork or whatever, and meanwhile you're playing Threes with your phone in your other hand. Over time, your non-dominant hand grows accustomed to the gestures and everything needed to operate a phone efficiently, and it becomes the standard way of doing it. Kind of like learning to play the guitar I suppose and training your non-dominant hand to navigate the fret board and memorize chord positions.

In any case, that's messed up about being forced to use your right hand, haha. My father-in-law was forced to do the same thing when he was younger, and now he's mostly ambidextrous. Crazy stuff.

cruiz1022

Aug 15, 2008
Visit site
When I type on my Note 3 I place 3 fingers on the back of the phone and my pinky holding the bottom area for balance. Let's me reach the entire screen, but I did notice the iPhone is taller.

Big Dookie

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
Big Dookie, sir.... You have freakishly large thumbs.

But thanks for the video.

Hah, I really don't though! At least I've never considered them to be.

For reference, since this is something we can all visualize, I cannot palm a standard sized basketball. I've tried for years, but my hands just physically aren't large enough to manage it. So unless my thumbs are just way out of proportion to my other fingers, it's tough for me to classify my hands as anything other than average sized.

Maybe they are disproportionate though. Any way I can use this new-found superpower to my advantage?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2