No Handoff or Continuity for iPhone 6 or 6+ in UAE

ckalli

May 11, 2011
Visit site
facetime is blocked in UAE. all models by default have no facetime app.

from what i understand hand off and continuity for calls etc requires facetime to activate or use it. without the app there is no way to get it.
thats really bad on apples part. the best features of ios 8 will not be available for all of UAE. it will just push more people to buy from the grey market and avoid apple stores.

and the biggest apple store in the world is planned to open in 2015 in dubai.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
facetime is blocked in UAE. all models by default have no facetime app.

from what i understand hand off and continuity for calls etc requires facetime to activate or use it. without the app there is no way to get it.
thats really bad on apples part. the best features of ios 8 will not be available for all of UAE. it will just push more people to buy from the grey market and avoid apple stores.

and the biggest apple store in the world is planned to open in 2015 in dubai.

The only part of handoff and continuity (actually two different features) that requires FaceTime is the phone call continuity. It requires FaceTime audio to work. Everything else is totally independent from the FaceTime app.

How is any of this Apple's fault? They developed/perfected the technology and implemented in their products. Your government has chosen to block the technology upon which it?s based. That is not on Apple, it?s on your government. Not sure how you can point your finger anywhere but at your political leaders who won?t let Apple's technology work within your country's borders.

ckalli

May 11, 2011
Visit site
not my country not my government. ill happily point a finger. but i still think apple is at fault too.

apple should clearly state the following wont work (there is a tiny * with fine print that says facetime doesnt work, but its common knowledge).
skype has made its way through what ever government regulations, im sure with enough effort apple could also.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
not my country not my government. ill happily point a finger. but i still think apple is at fault too.

apple should clearly state the following wont work (there is a tiny * with fine print that says facetime doesnt work, but its common knowledge).
skype has made its way through what ever government regulations, im sure with enough effort apple could also.

Do you live there? If you do, then it is your government.

Do you know the other laws and restrictions of living there? Ignorance of the law is no excuse. Again, this is NOT Apple's fault, rather it’s on the government. If there’s ANY notification on the packaging/notes that indicate there could be an issue, they did their job. And you say "its (sic) common knowledge", then I really don’t see the issue - you knew it (common knowledge) and Apple told you (tiny * with fine print).

Seriously?

ckalli

May 11, 2011
Visit site
the 6 and 6 + are not out yet. im curious to see if the packaging will mention anything about continuity not working in UAE.

its not about knowing the laws or whos fault it is. just wish apple would do more to get past a law that for eg. the people at skype have overcome.

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
the 6 and 6 + are not out yet. im curious to see if the packaging will mention anything about continuity not working in UAE.

its not about knowing the laws or whos fault it is. just wish apple would do more to get past a law that for eg. the people at skype have overcome.

Could it be something as simple as Microsoft allows them to intercept and eavesdrop on Skype communications where Facetime/iMessage are generally point to point encryption with no way of being able to intercept/listen? (This is based on my understanding that Facetime/iMessage are encrypted from device to device, which may not be completely accurate.) If true, do you want Apple to weaken the security to allow governments to eavesdrop?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

Does it matter? It’s not like you don’t already know about the government blocking the service (unless you’re posting this from a time machine).

CycloneFW

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Could it be something as simple as Microsoft allows them to intercept and eavesdrop on Skype communications where Facetime/iMessage are generally point to point encryption with no way of being able to intercept/listen? (This is based on my understanding that Facetime/iMessage are encrypted from device to device, which may not be completely accurate.) If true, do you want Apple to weaken the security to allow governments to eavesdrop?

I would imagine it is similar. I seem to recall a few years ago that RIM/Blackberry had to move some servers into the UAE because the encryption didn't allow interception and it was either allow it, or be blocked in the country. So a server there is decrypting within the UAE borders now on Blackberry devices.

http://m.phys.org/news/2010-10-rim-uae-averting-blackberry.html
"This is the market that we are so excited about," he said, avoiding any reference to the problem with the UAE's telecom authority, which had set an October 11 deadline for RIM to allow them access to its encrypted data or face a ban.

http://mobile.eweek.com/c/a/Securit...-as-RIM-UAE-Strike-Deal-on-Encryption-435456/
Canadian-based RIM had been negotiating with the small emirate's Telecommunications Regulatory Authority since early August. Calling it a national security issue, the government agency had claimed the company was in "non-compliance" because its encrypted servers, based in North America, inhibiting local law enforcement's ability to monitor and access customer data.

It's unclear what concessions RIM has made to UAE, since the company has to ensure its business customers continue to trust the level of confidentiality and security of the system. It may have agreed to re-route the country's traffic through a local-based server, as it is supposedly investigating in India.

Or as IHS Global Insight telecoms analyst Shardul Shrimani told the Associated Press, it is possible the UAE was granted "limited" access to encrypted BlackBerry data.

HASN

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
It is Apples fault, when the issue was going on with Blackberry, Apple took the easy option out, introducing their new iPhone then on all the middle eastern versions without Face Time. This is a whole region with some 20 or so different countries with different regulations. Instead they could have left it to the regulators to block the service like many other blocked VOIP, tango for instance dose not work in few middle eastern countries.
Now to add insult to injery they are introducing new features that will only work if you do have face Time activated on all devices and will deprive anyone with a middle eastern version of iPhone from those features.

Last edited:

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
It is purely Apples fault, when the issue was going on with Blackberry, Apple took the easy option to out and introduced there new phone then blocking Face Time on all the middle eastern versions of iPhone. This is a whole region some 20 or so different governments with different regulations.

Yeah. I totally blame Apple for following the laws and regulations of the countries where they sell their devices.

HASN

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
No but I blame them for taking the easy option out with disregard to their customers, there is no unified regulation in the region of 20 or so countries, Apple decided to eliminate face time to avoid any issues that might arise. Their Laptops sell with Face Time and there are my apps installable on the iPhone that can replace FaceTime.

T_TY

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Actually it is in part Apple's doing.

VOIP has strict regulations primarily because there is a monopoly on the services (or there was a monopoly). To use VOIP, apple would have to pay a royalty or premium per device or something of the sort. I mean, honestly, Apple could petition the TRA (Telecommunications Regulatory Authority of the UAE) and tell them they have adhered to the laws and have always removed Facetime, but as they evolve and develop, they are seeing their users and developers using Facetime in creative ways that are making removing it unfair to users of the region. They could say that the features of Facetime have gone beyond basic VOIP, and by having the TRA ban the app (which it hasn't, Apple's just taken a precautionary measure to prevent being banned), it is robbing it's citizens of an authentic apple experience.

But whatever, that's just my opinion. What do I know.

mpshah

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm from Dubai and I do not agree with the OP.

Apple is not to be blamed here, it is the TRA (Telecom Regulatory Authority) which makes all these decisions like whether or not FT should be allowed. For example, Viber is blocked by the same authority, so is that the app developer's fault? No it is a decision taken by the local authorities to block VOIP apps like Viber.

I've been a long time Apple user and make it a point to buy the iPhone's from the grey market as they are imported from UK, HK, etc where FT is enabled.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
I'm from Dubai and I do not agree with the OP.

Apple is not to be blamed here, it is the TRA (Telecom Regulatory Authority) which makes all these decisions like whether or not FT should be allowed. For example, Viber is blocked by the same authority, so is that the app developer's fault? No it is a decision taken by the local authorities to block VOIP apps like Viber.

I've been a long time Apple user and make it a point to buy the iPhone's from the grey market as they are imported from UK, HK, etc where FT is enabled.

Look at that. Someone from there that is knowledgeable and makes sense.

HASN

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
That would have been absolutely fine if TRA to blocked face time, at least one could use it when overseas or by using a VPN, however there was no reason for Apple to illuminate it completely and prevent you from installing it, and this is the case for the whole middle east region not just the UAE.