If I didn't preorder, am I just screwed?

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So I didn't preorder the phone on Friday because I'm still feeling out wether I want the 6 or 6 plus. ( leaning towards 6plus because that seems to be the one apple is focusing improvements on. But don't know how I'll be able to pocket it.)

But now I'm wondering if I just screwed myself by not making a decision and preordering on Friday. Now we're gearing orders are getting pushed back to October or further. Is it even worth ore ordering anymore as opposed to just trying to walk into a store to get one?

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
So I didn't preorder the phone on Friday because I'm still feeling out wether I want the 6 or 6 plus. ( leaning towards 6plus because that seems to be the one apple is focusing improvements on. But don't know how I'll be able to pocket it.)

But now I'm wondering if I just screwed myself by not making a decision and preordering on Friday. Now we're gearing orders are getting pushed back to October or further. Is it even worth ore ordering anymore as opposed to just trying to walk into a store to get one?

I'd try the store on Friday, and if you can't get what you want, then order it. Or pre-order now and try your luck at a store on Friday (can always cancel the order, right?).

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

Not if you head out right now to your local Apple store and set up camp.

substring

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
At this rate, if you preorder now, you probably will not get the delivery until November to be the earliest. Just saying

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
What if I went for the 6?

The 6 seems to have better availability than the plus, so chances are better in picking one up on Friday (still probably want to get to whatever store early) or getting it sooner if ordered (looks to be 7-10 days on the Apple Store).

terreos

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Go ahead and order what you want. And try getting one in stores friday. If you don't get what you want then you have one for sure whenever stock comes in for shipment. If you don't order one you're gonna have to wait longer.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
As an fyi most Apple stores get stock in each day after a release. So you can call to see if they have the device you want and then get it. They work hard to replenish the stores stock and shipments come often.

michikade

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm hearing that you should be able to get a 6 without much issue from any carrier, especially if you order it. You may be limited to a certain size though -- some stores are only going to have 16gb, for example, at launch and others have all of the 16gb preordered so they only have the larger capacity ones. It depends on your area, and carrier footprint.

For example: With Sprint right now:

You can get a gold 6 in all 3 capacities on or around the 19th.
You can get a gray or silver 6 in 64gb or 128gb on or around the 19th.
You can get a gray or silver 6 in 16gb in around 3 weeks.
You can get a 6+ in any color and capacity in 4-6 weeks.

(These dates come from their preorder pages, confirmed with a call to corporate).

I'm hearing other carriers have similar timeframes.

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
The wait won't be 6 weeks forever - it happens like this every time. This is part of the marketing paranoia to get people to buy. Great products but also great marketing machine. A similar thing happened with the 5S, you might fear in November the wait will be until January, but with the 5S 6 weeks after launch I just walked into a store and bought one!

Think about it - right now scarcity sells more phones, as the early adopters like us go after the new phones in a feeding frenzy. After the initial surge, scarcity doesn't sell phones, it scares away the next level of buyer. So stores will have to be stocked at some point. That's also absolutely true for Christmas, very few people will order a phone to tell someone your gift will be here in January or February. If you can't get your hands on them, you won't buy them for Christmas.

So be patient, you will be able to buy one.

anon4757448

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
As an fyi most Apple stores get stock in each day after a release. So you can call to see if they have the device you want and then get it. They work hard to replenish the stores stock and shipments come often.

I've been told this by an Apple associate before. I know my local Apple stores usually have lines for several days after launch.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Verizon is at the end of October, 28th I think and AT&T is November 2 - 27th which is a wide gap in time but oh well. I am trying the local AT&T store on Friday and will see if they have any 6 Plus 128GB color is not an issue. If nothing then I will just pre-order and wait. Tired of Verizon and since I opted to pay off my current iPhone and sell it instead of "Edging Up" I have to wait 30 days so at that rate I might as well kick them to the curb and go with AT&T which has better resale anyways.

mnicole03

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site

I preordered on Friday and I was given a November ship date so I don't think it makes a huge difference whether you pre ordered Friday or not

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
If you want one of these devices on Friday, you're going to have to go to a one of the stores selling it...ordering it online right now will not get you an iPhone this Friday.

michikade

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Here's what I'm seeing on apple.com ---- still showing in store pickup for Friday for a Plus. May be worth a look anyway - this is in my area which is south of Houston, TX (4th largest metro in the US) so you may have something available. Obviously the stats listed here are for the 64gb version but the same thing is listed for all colors, sizes and carriers.

2014-09-15_2250.jpg

jonquiljo

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Even picking up at a store is going to be a long wait. If you can order for pickup, I would do so. If you don't, then you are looking at December. Apple is really good at driving up demand by creating shortages. They are real pros at it. It's human nature to want what you can't have. You'd think by now that they would know how to meet demand. But the fact is that they don't want to. They release a phone or phones when they only have about 5 million to sell. These are sold out the first day, and then some. Now they want to build 90 million iPhones by the end of this year. They probably have a big portion of China working on it. They could have done all this 3 months earlier or later and met demand, but that wouldn't create such a cult following. So it is likely all back ordered phones have yet to be built. They are really really good at this, and as a result, 4 days after the release (or is it 3) they have people waiting into 2015. I buy their stuff because I like it. But I don't like their sales tactics.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2