What Sean said is correct. You can have your fingerprint setup right now to only use for App Store purchases and not have to have fingerprint unlock enabled.

But, if I'm understanding correctly, are you saying you don't even want to have a passcode setup to unlock the phone? The only way you will be able to setup fingerprints for anything would be having a passcode enabled.

For example, I just completely removed my passcode and turned off fingerprints. I then enabled only app store fingerprint and it asked me to setup a passcode again. Even with the phone unlock toggled off, sliding to unlock requires you still to use your passcode to get in.

Bottom line: You'll probably be able to use the fingerprint for only Apple Pay, but there isn't going to be a way around sliding to unlock without a passcode.
    That's what I was afraid of. Bummer. I pretty much despise having lockscreen security. Looks like I won't be using Apple pay. The fingerprint scanner on the GS5 sucks, but at least they let you use it solely for Paypal without forcing lockscreen security.

Apple seriously needs to rethink some of their policies.
    09-13-2014 10:58 PM
    To be totally honest, I just tried it without the fingerprint or code password where you slide the screen...there was more effort involved in sliding the screen than there was placing my thumb on the sensor and having it unlock in that fashion. Not to say your preference is wrong, but the difference to me was favorable towards the fingerprint scanner really (in terms of speed of access).

It's also become habit for me now so that's another thing entirely.
    09-14-2014 12:16 AM
    To be totally honest, I just tried it without the fingerprint or code password where you slide the screen...there was more effort involved in sliding the screen than there was placing my thumb on the sensor and having it unlock in that fashion. Not to say your preference is wrong, but the difference to me was favorable towards the fingerprint scanner really (in terms of speed of access).

Agreed. In fact, it’s become such a habit that I get frustrated when my iPad doesn’t open immediately. Then I remember that Touch ID has not yet been implemented on the iPad Mini.
    09-14-2014 12:24 AM

It's being forced into using lockscreen security at all that turns me off. I don't get company mail on my phone because of the requirement and I certainly shouldn't be required to use it just to use the fingerprint scanner for other things. I have never lost a phone and someone would have to kill me to take it. I simply don't need it and have no desire to have to use it every time I want to check a text message.

It's easy for you because you're probably using the home button to wake the device. I always use the power button to lessen the wear and tear on the already over-used home button because every mechanical part has a limited number of uses and I have had friends who had home buttons go bad on their iPhones.

Lockscreen security and app security should be two separate things. It's that simple. One should not necessitate the other.
    09-14-2014 11:07 AM
    It's being forced into using lockscreen security at all that turns me off. I don't get company mail on my phone because of the requirement and I certainly shouldn't be required to use it just to use the fingerprint scanner for other things. I have never lost a phone and someone would have to kill me to take it. I simply don't need it and have no desire to have to use it every time I want to check a text message.

It's easy for you because you're probably using the home button to wake the device. I always use the power button to lessen the wear and tear on the already over-used home button because every mechanical part has a limited number of uses and I have had friends who had home buttons go bad on their iPhones.

Lockscreen security and app security should be two separate things. It's that simple. One should not necessitate the other.
    I get where you’re coming from. You’re entitled to your opinion. But the way it’s implemented it way that Apple chose to do it. It is what it is.

With regard to the overuse of the Home button, all I can say is that I’ve been using iPhones for a long time. I have owned every model. I’ve never had a Home button fail for any reason, including "wear and tear". Again, just my experience. YMMV.
    09-14-2014 11:40 AM
30 12