My phone is connected to my home wifi network & when I hit the power button I see LTE in the status bar. Why if I'm connected to wifi (it changes back to wifi when I have the screen on for a little bit or if I unlock it)?

Sent from my Gold iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    05-14-2014 10:03 PM
    That's a problem with all the iPhones. Does not happen all the time. But it's a big drawback when it comes to battery life and data usage. I used to have cellular on for app updates and this failure cost me lot of unnecessary data charge.

If anyone of you think you don't have this problem. Try resetting your data usage for zero and see.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using iMore Forums mobile app
    serglb likes this.
    05-14-2014 10:16 PM
    My phone is connected to my home wifi network & when I hit the power button I see LTE in the status bar. Why if I'm connected to wifi (it changes back to wifi when I have the screen on for a little bit or if I unlock it)?

It's a built in battery saving policy by design.

https://www.google.nl/search?q=wifi+...ions.apple.com

You can find similar answers when you read the threads on apple support communities
    05-14-2014 10:29 PM
    Battery saving policy ?? How come it saves battery when connected to the cellular data. Still it's a drawback.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using iMore Forums mobile app
    05-14-2014 11:01 PM
    Because cellular data in sleep mode only drains battery when in use, as wifi constantly drains battery to stay connected. That's what I read in those threads.

05-14-2014 11:06 PM
    It's a built in battery saving policy by design.

https://www.google.nl/search?q=wifi+...ions.apple.com

You can find similar answers when you read the threads on apple support communities
    Thank you!! Man, that's pathetic. (Not to be a fanboy or anything) but androids at least have the choice

05-14-2014 11:23 PM
    Because cellular data in sleep mode only drains battery when in use, as wifi constantly drains battery to stay connected. That's what I read in those threads.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/15/uputadap.jpg
    It's always been odd to me because when I had an iPhone and now Android.. I don't see much difference in the drain at all with wifi on or not.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using iMore Forums.
    05-15-2014 04:57 PM
    The wifi doesn't fully turn off... it goes into "hot stand-by" - and is still connected when the screen is off.
    serglb likes this.
    05-15-2014 05:05 PM
    Since iOS 7 my phone stays connected to wifi even while locked and I have cellular data on. I should note that on my 5S that I only get DC-HSDPA in my area LTE is not available in my area yet.

Sent from my Jailbroken 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    05-15-2014 06:00 PM
    Since iOS 7 my phone stays connected to wifi even while locked and I have cellular data on. I should note that on my 5S that I only get DC-HSDPA in my area LTE is not available in my area yet.

Sent from my Jailbroken 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    Mine stays in wifi too & I have LTE in my area. It probably depends on the carrier too
    05-15-2014 11:59 PM
    It doesn't depend on the carrier. It's completely normal.

When your iPhone is locked, it stop using wifi to save battery.

You may ask: doesn't LTE spend more battery?

When wifi is on, it is spending battery all time to stay on, LTE/4G/3G or any other cellular data only spends battery if sending data, if not it saves battery.

AND... Your iPhone connects to the wifi sometimes to check if there's any app update to do and things like that.
    Tartarus and serglb like this.
    05-17-2014 05:56 PM