Buying your 5s outright.

rellyrellz

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Do anyone you have second thoughts about spending $649, $749 or even $849 for your 5s. I've spend $700 once for a phone brand new. I cannot see myself spending that much again for a phone. Not that I cannot afford but it is pretty expensive for a phone. Just curious on others thought.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Consider a few things when asking this question...

- Buying a phone outright means it is not locked to a carrier...this in turn means better value when you try to sell it, and an easier sell (since it's more widely usable)
- Buying a phone outright means you can walk away from a carrier if the service becomes poor and you want to try something else without the need to pay termination fees.

...and let's face it...looking at the list of things you have in your signature, you're no stranger to spending big bucks on high ticket items from Apple. Why such a sudden distaste for expenditure if you've purchased a Macbook, an iPad (x2) and a Mac Mini...all of which cost close, equal or more than the iPhone without contract. This is a pocket computer...the abilities of which are understated by the common place of the device itself. To be 100% honest, given how much phones USED to cost back the days of brick nokias and other prehistoric models...$700-$900 for the iPhone is a damn steal.

rellyrellz

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Consider a few things when asking this question...

- Buying a phone outright means it is not locked to a carrier...this in turn means better value when you try to sell it, and an easier sell (since it's more widely usable)
- Buying a phone outright means you can walk away from a carrier if the service becomes poor and you want to try something else without the need to pay termination fees.

...and let's face it...looking at the list of things you have in your signature, you're no stranger to spending big bucks on high ticket items from Apple. Why such a sudden distaste for expenditure if you've purchased a Macbook, an iPad (x2) and a Mac Mini...all of which cost close, equal or more than the iPhone without contract. This is a pocket computer...the abilities of which are understated by the common place of the device itself. To be 100% honest, given how much phones USED to cost back the days of brick nokias and other prehistoric models...$700-$900 for the iPhone is a damn steal.

I wouldn't put the iPhone and the computers in the same group. I can agree with you as far as the iPads. I do understand what you are saying. I asked this because I'm looking to maybe get a 5s and the ones on eBay, so many are either bad imei or iCloud locked. I'd rather buy brand new. I like getting the most GB size and that 849 plus tax makes me cringe a bit lol.

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I paid $849 for mine. It didn't really give me pause, but I would have preferred to have been able to use one of my upgrades that I cannot use because I'd lose my unlimited data with Verizon. I don't want to switch carriers so I'd be fine with a contract, but I need to keep my unlimited data (I usually use at least 6GB per month) so I'm forever stuck with full retail.

kazp3r17

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Do anyone you have second thoughts about spending $649, $749 or even $849 for your 5s. I've spend $700 once for a phone brand new. I cannot see myself spending that much again for a phone. Not that I cannot afford but it is pretty expensive for a phone. Just curious on others thought.

paying the full retail price is worth it, if your. Not the type of person to go and buy a new phone every couple of months ( how I use to be lol). But as for buying used on ebay id look for someone with high reputation and good feedback usually you can find a good one for around 5 or 600.

but my suggestion is to check swappa.com. Only worthy devices are sold on there so no need for cracked screens bad esns etc.

Sent from my Gold iPhone using Tapatalk

thatgirl87

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I bought mine outright and it was worth it. I don't think I'll do it again, though. I got insurance when I bought the 5S, so I'll never have to go back to using an old phone and waiting for the next phone to come out if something happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I bought my 5S outright. No regrets, even though it's a down payment on a NYC coop.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I paid $1130 for mine ( gold 64gig). It's pretty expensive here in Australia. Crazy I know but I love my iphone. Most people I know wouldn't spend that that money on " just a phone ". But in my books it's worth it.

anon(161369)

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
I have that $30 tmobile plan so spending almost 900 on a phone wasn't too bad especially since it's unlocked

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vjh425

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I finance my phones through T-Mobile, so if I pay the entire phone off, I do end up paying full price. Alternatively, I can pay half of it off and trade it in towards a new phone. This works for me.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I suggest Swappa as well. It's getting to be too many shysters on eBay. Gotta be careful. You could get a box of rocks.

Sent from from my iPhone 5

serglb

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
I finance my phones through T-Mobile, so if I pay the entire phone off, I do end up paying full price. Alternatively, I can pay half of it off and trade it in towards a new phone. This works for me.

Same here. That's what I might do for the 6 since I already paid off half of my phone.

Sent from my Gold iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

kazp3r17

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site

I have the same thing through sprint thinking about paying it off tho and keeping it

Sent from my Gold iPhone using Tapatalk

mwboost

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm in Aus and the prices at the moment are about $856 16GB $990 32GB and as mentioned above about $1100 for 64GB.
First 5s i bought wasn't even in the box lol. Got one on contract now.

clcoupe

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Got mine out right ?709 64gb. With a contract the same as I am on now with many mins, texts and unlimited data (current ?15 pm) would have been about ?1200 for a ?50 pm + upfront handset price, contracts in the UK are crazy for the 5s ??? per month for nothing different just making more money out of people that want to pay monthly.
So I saved money and I have the piece of mind I got it from apple direct so any problems with it they will sort out asap it can't be blacklisted unless I blacklist it. It is 100% legally mine I can get and claim on insurance as I have the original receipt.

I was going to save ?200 to buy it on eBay but if I got a phone from a poo bag who blacklisted it not long after I got it, I would have to buy a new one anyway so not a saving at all.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Aguaski

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I sold my iPhone 5 on eBay for $450 then paid $750 for my iPhone 5s. I was out about $300 which is what I would have paid to sign a new 2 year contract. Best of all I still have my unlimited Verizon data plan. I plan to do the same thing when the next iPhone is released this fall.

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I buy every phone out right. I never sign cell contracts. That's why these companies continue to rip people off and offer poor service because they have you in these contracts that are hard to get away from

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I buy every phone out right. I never sign cell contracts. That's why these companies continue to rip people off and offer poor service because they have you in these contracts that are hard to get away from

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Or you can get lucky and score a nice plan on a 2 year term...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398629171.833676.jpg
$80/month + $10/month for phone insurance that also includes water damage.

Sent from my iPhone 5S or Jailbroken 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk