Clean speaker and mic holes

soren203

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone when I got my iphone last September the first thing I did was put it in an otterbox defender. Today I took it out of the case for the first time and I found dust had been accumulating in the speaker and mic holes at the bottom of the phone. Any idea how to clean dust out? I've tried blowing and shaking but it won't budge. It's really bugging me!

IAmSixNine

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
We use small paint brushes like you might find at hobby lobby or other hobby stores.
if the bristles are long cut them down bout half way.
I also think home depot has some for detail work.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The little brushes that come with Hearing Aid Cleaning kits works great for that. Actually, the kit has several useful cleaning tools that work great for iDevices.

Sent from from my iPhone 5

MacintoshDan

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I use a little vacuum made for keyboards I got for free on Black Friday at circuit city many a year ago. Also use a gittos rocket blaster I have for my DSLR.

Sent from my Space Gray 16 GB AT&T iPhone 5s using iMore Forums

Lea Davis

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
Hey everyone when I got my iphone last September the first thing I did was put it in an otterbox defender. Today I took it out of the case for the first time and I found dust had been accumulating in the speaker and mic holes at the bottom of the phone. Any idea how to clean dust out? I've tried blowing and shaking but it won't budge. It's really bugging me!

Hi I had the exact same problem I tried many things and eventually gave up then I came up with a soloution i got an old tooth brush cut the bristles very short and and rubbed it, all the dirt came loose and I just blew it out
Worked just fine

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Wouldn't compressed air just blow the dust into the internals?

The iPhone's internals are pretty well sealed off. I've been using compressed air to clean out the ports on my iPhones for years and any dirt and dust usually flies right out of the device.

mintgreenlover

May 15, 2016
Visit site
But what if you don't have compressed air?I'm worrying because I have cake in my volume holes what other method could I use to get rid of it? And will the cake go internally inside the phone while cleaning the volume holes?

j_mantyler

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site

I don't know about the bottom speaker but the earpiece speaker at the top of my iPhone 6 Plus, I use a piece of duct tape, stick it on and push the tape into the speaker and pull it, do this a few times and it will make it good as new. I came up with that idea a few weeks ago when I pulled my iPhone out of its defender case. I did this because I work in construction and over time so much dust and debris got in there that I couldn't hear people in a phone call. I can hear them like the phone is new now. I still haven't figured out anything for the bottom speaker. But I will soon figure it out because I do not like the idea of blowing it into my phone, you can't tell me that blowing the dust with compressed air won't allow the dust to go in the phone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234