^ Oh yeah, I don't do that. Every Apple device I buy just falls right into my hands. I live just feet away from an Apple store in my university town.

That'd being said, I reviewed the 5s and c before I purchased of course. And I figured I wanted something a little different this time, since I was coming from the 5.
    10-31-2013 01:21 PM
    We already know it just happens to be more available in some cities than in others, and that's natural. One person here suggested driving 30 miles to find one. Not everyone is going to be doing that.

I've never had to "hunt" for Apple devices, and I don't intend to start now.

The longer the 5s was out of stock, the more attractive the 5c became, which it was already.
    There's no issue in preferring the 5c, it's a great device. A 30 mile drive is about 15min...if you're not willing to drive 15min. to get something you want, there's literally no reason to even have this discussion with you. 100 miles? Sure, I'll give you that it's a bit of a stretch, and you might not want to drive to that location only to find there are no devices left for the day, but 30 miles? Come on. I've gone further than that on a bicycle just working out...you're acting like we're telling you to drive to a different continent.
    I agree with both of you. The distance one is willing to go to get what one desires is 100% a personal choice. For the record, I wasn't recommending one drive 30 miles, I simply stated that is how far I personally had to go for mine. When shopping for my 5S, I was fully prepared to drive up to 150 miles if I found one, simply because I was impatient to get what I want, and fully aware of the effort I might have to put in to get what I want, as soon as possible. If I was slightly more patient, I'm sure I could have gotten a 5S at the closest Apple Store to me within another 24 to 48-hours... but I jumped on the first one I was able to find within my personal distance limit.

You may never have had to hunt for an Apple device before, but with demand for the 5S so ridiculously high... many people are willing to hunt for them. Getting a 5S without putting in extra work was more or less dumb luck around the first weeks of launch. But getting a 5S period was, and is, very possible for everyone, if you put in the effort.

and as others have mentioned multiple times: If you purchased any carrier locked 5S full price, it will be unlocked. If you had any problems getting it unlocked, you have a 30-day window in which to return your device, no questions asked.

Apple Help - Returns and Refund - Apple Store (U.S.)
    10-31-2013 01:22 PM
    Personal life stories are not important to me. I'm not an iPhone collector. I was a bit ticked off by the handling of the 5s, so I got the 5c.

I mean I was in the Apple store on launch day, they had phones. They just didn't have the SIM free unlocked option.

I've already seen the 5s.
    If you wanted a particular iPhone wait until it's available. It's that simple. There are folks here that wanted the Gold 5S and willing to wait for it. In fact enjoyed waiting for it.

#Naked Tuesday
    10-31-2013 01:24 PM
    Personal life stories are not important to me. I'm not an iPhone collector. I was a bit ticked off by the handling of the 5s, so I got the 5c.

I mean I was in the Apple store on launch day, they had phones. They just didn't have the SIM free unlocked option.

The 5S release was handled identically to every previous iPhone release in terms of offering a SIM free, unlocked version...so you must have been ticked for several years now (redundantly I might add). Fortunately, it seems, you were able to buy the phone you preferred anyways, so why are you so hung up on trying to find an error on Apple's part with the way the 5S release went? So it wasn't readily available for YOU...so the gold version was hard to come by? Apple was selling more than they could produce, and this is now a problem? LOL! Boy that really sucks for Microsoft too, since they have a huge problem of having sold out every one of their Day One edition Xbox One's. I bet they're really hating life right now, LMAO!
    10-31-2013 01:28 PM

See my quote above. Any iPhone you buy at full retail price will be unlocked. You chose to pass up on getting a 5S on launch day, over semantics.

^ Oh yeah, I don't do that. Every Apple device I buy just falls right into my hands. I live just feet away from an Apple store in my university town.

That'd being said, I reviewed the 5s and c before I purchased of course. And I figured I wanted something a little different this time, since I was coming from the 5.
    That is part of the problem. Expecting a device that is in the kind of demand as the 5S to "just fall in to your hands" is absolutely relying on dumb luck. People are willing to drive countless miles to your university town to buy the 5S's out from under you.
    10-31-2013 01:29 PM
    no thanks lol
    Then stop ******** about the availability in your country
    10-31-2013 01:31 PM
    Then stop ******** about the availability in your country
    bit late, this is already over and done with... :S
    10-31-2013 01:35 PM
    People are willing to drive countless miles to your university town to buy the 5S's out from under you.
    It's not that serious. I think that would be a waste of gas.

When I heard that people were camping out weeks prior, I just thought that was crazy. lol they didn't even improve the battery life. lol
    10-31-2013 01:36 PM

If you expect every Apple device to "fall right in your hands" that's some spoiled brat $hit right there friend. Seems as though you are upset that you didn't get a unlocked 5S.
    10-31-2013 01:43 PM

As we keep posting over and over and over, Apple has carried the SIM unlocked iPhone 5S and 5C from launch day, Sept 20, 2013. All you had to do was pay full price for the Verizon, ATT or tmobile phone (not sure about Sprint).
    So please stop saying they didn't have it. That is factually incorrect.
    10-31-2013 01:45 PM

When I heard that people were camping out weeks prior, I just thought that was crazy. lol they didn't even improve the battery life. lol
    People have been camping out for iPhones since 2007. Whats the shock in that. It happens every year like Xmas
    10-31-2013 01:46 PM

Now I know you're just trolling. Nobody was camping out for "weeks." I suggest we stop posting and let this thread die, guys.
    dazr87 likes this.
    10-31-2013 01:49 PM
    Now I know you're just trolling. Nobody was camping out for "weeks." I suggest we stop posting and let this thread die, guys.
    Well a few people did get in line at the 5th Ave NYC store a couple of weeks early. But yeah, very very few did and I'm guessing they were getting paid.
    10-31-2013 01:52 PM

Lots of people thought the 5S was going to be a flop. "Oh it doesn't have a bigger screen" "It's just an iPhone 5 with a 'S' on it" Despite the pessimism, Apple had almost double the 5S's available for purchase on launch weekend, compared to the iPhone 5 release last year.

The demand was higher than anyone could predict. Even Apple.

Because the demand is so high, people are, on average, having to work to get what they want, when they want it. What might be a "waste of gas" to you is perfectly reasonable to others in the pursuit of what they desire. Some are getting it by dumb luck, but overall luck has little to do with it. It takes effort to secure a 5S. No luck necessary, unless you are unwilling to put in the effort.

Really, it is very simple:

If you are willing to put in the effort, and are impatient, you will find a 5S for in-store pickup.

If you are unwilling to put in the effort, but are wiling to be patient, then a 5S will come to you eventually by ordering online.

If you are both unwilling to put in the effort, and are impatient, it will take pure dumb luck to come across a 5S in the closest Apple store to you.
    10-31-2013 02:00 PM
    I fully expected to be able to get either of the phones at the drop of a hat. And I'm only going to call once or twice, Apple employees say, "No we don't have—" That's it.

It's funny how you guys are ignoring the fact that the SIM free version is available for one phone but not the other.

Of course I could've gotten the 5c T-Mobile contract free and Verizon, but I didn't. I got the unlocked option.

There is no unlocked option for the 5s, and you can't deny it.
    10-31-2013 02:22 PM
    I fully expected to be able to get either of the phones at the drop of a hat. And I'm only going to call once or twice, Apple employees say, "No we don't have" That's it.

It's funny how you guys are ignoring the fact that the SIM free version is available for one phone but not the other.

Of course I could've gotten the 5c T-Mobile contract free and Verizon, but I didn't. I got the unlocked option.

#Naked Tuesday
    10-31-2013 02:34 PM
    10-31-2013 02:36 PM

We are not ignoring it. We are simply affording it the attention it deserves in this discussion, which is very little. When buying at full retail price, the label of "SIM Free" is a purely semantic issue.

As I provided in another thread, the model number and supported LTE bands and carrier services between the AT&T, T-Mobile, and SIM-Free Unlocked version are all the same. If you get a carrier locked 5S, and get it unlocked since you've paid full price, it is technologically identical to a SIM-Free model. This is true of the 5C which has the option for SIM-Free.

No one is denying that the 5S is not currently available as a SIM-Free version, and the 5C currently is... we are simply pointing out that a 5S does not need to be SIM-Free to also be unlocked.
    10-31-2013 02:40 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	YouCantDenyIt1990.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	41402
    Space Grey, Gold or Silver. Which one did you get?

#Naked Tuesday
    10-31-2013 02:45 PM
    I think one thing you are very unclear on, is that SIM-Free is the only way to get unlocked. SIM-Free means exactly what the name implies. That when you buy the phone, it does not come with a SIM card... hence it is SIM Free.

When you buy a carrier version of the 5S, and get it unlocked because you paid full price, the only difference between it, and a SIM-Free version, is that it came with a carrier SIM. Use the SIM tool, pull the SIM out, throw it overhand at the nearest wall, and your carrier unlocked 5S is now SIM Free.
    10-31-2013 02:49 PM
    I think one thing you are very unclear on, is that SIM-Free is the only way to get unlocked. SIM-Free means exactly what the name implies. That when you buy the phone, it does not come with a SIM card... hence it is SIM Free.

When you buy a carrier version of the 5S, and get it unlocked because you paid full price, the only difference between it, and a SIM-Free version, is that it came with a carrier SIM. Use the SIM tool, pull the SIM out, throw it overhand at the nearest wall, and your carrier unlocked 5S is now SIM Free.
    Word
    10-31-2013 02:52 PM
    Yes, there is. I have one, took about a minute to fill out this form and send it through...

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/cli...msAndCondition

...that's just one, effortless option.
    10-31-2013 02:57 PM
    Yes, there is. I have one, took about a minute to fill out this form and send it through...

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/cli...msAndCondition

...that's just one, effortless option.
    Thats too much work for Auturi. It has to fall in his hands from the Apple Angels.
    10-31-2013 03:01 PM
    I fully expected to be able to get either of the phones at the drop of a hat. And I'm only going to call once or twice, Apple employees say, "No we don't have" That's it.

Yes we can deny it. Because that isn't true.

]As we keep posting over and over and over, Apple has carried the SIM unlocked iPhone 5S and 5C from launch day, Sept 20, 2013. All you had to do was pay full price for the Verizon, ATT or tmobile phone (not sure about Sprint).
    So please stop saying they didn't have it. That is factually incorrect.
    10-31-2013 03:42 PM
    ^ I'm correct.

Maybe I don't shop the old fashioned way, because I'm younger but literally it is not on their website or app. Geniuses will also turn you down. And if somebody bought me an "unlocked" iPhone 5s bought from AT&T or Verizon for Christmas, I would take it back and get the Sim-Free version. I will never walk into a carrier store, and come out with an iPhone. It's simply from Apple or nothing. My way or the highway.
    10-31-2013 03:46 PM
145 ... 23456