Tip to make fingerprint recognition more consistent

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Like many here I set up two fingerprint profiles, one for my left thumb and one for my right thumb. The advantage is being able to unlock my iPhone with either hand. One thing that I did notice is that my grip made a big difference with how effective the reader was with each hand. So I created two more profiles one for my left thumb in a slightly different position and again for my right thumb. With four profiles programmed (2 for each thumb) I have noticed that my iPhone 5s is now working 100% of the time. Thought this may help those of you who are finding troubles with accessing your iPhone 5s based on grip.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Like many here I set up two fingerprint profiles, one for my left thumb and one for my right thumb. The advantage is being able to unlock my iPhone with either hand. One thing that I did notice is that my grip made a big difference with how effective the reader was with each hand. So I created two more profiles one for my left thumb in a slightly different position and again for my right thumb. With four profiles programmed (2 for each thumb) I have noticed that my iPhone 5s is now working 100% of the time. Thought this may help those of you who are finding troubles with accessing your iPhone 5s based on grip.

Great tip can't really do with mine have it set up for my right and left thumbs and index fingers.

Carried by a raven from the Wall.

IIJBII

Jul 24, 2004
Visit site

I did this multiple times and still touch ID fails about 70% of the time. I'm wondering if I have a bad device/sensor?

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I did this multiple times and still touch ID fails about 70% of the time. I'm wondering if I have a bad device/sensor?

You might, I did notice that it is a "fingerprint magnet" - Lol excuse the pun ... I wipe it off a bit more than I wipe my screen off.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Great tip thanks. I have two profiles for each thumb and it works 100% but four is even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I noticed that when I set up my fingerprint, so I set up both my thumbprints in the same manner I typically hold my phone. I only have 2 profiles but they work perfectly.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Mine works 99.99999% of the time on the first try...my wife doesn't use hers, but hers was working with the same consistency when we tried it. Maybe a bad sensor? Maybe you didn't give the sensor enough variations of placement when you set up the finger print initially? I did the placement from every angle I could, and haven't had any problems.

Donnee

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
When setting mine up I moved my thumb / finger around quite a lot as opposed to just lifting it up and down as the demo shows and it seems to have done the trick.

If anything I find it annoying as I normally press the home button to check for notifications and the damn thing unlocks... Never thought I'd be complaining of a finger print sensor that's too quick!! (Firstworldproblems much?)

kd7irm

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
One profile can hold more than one finger, try it. You can put all of your right hand on one profile and as long as you move your fingers position while trading the sensor it will work and is about 90% correct on five fingers with one profile.
Each press on the sensor while training need to be the next finger in succession and needs to be in the same order every time while training. Kinda neat and impressive that it is that flexible.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Motorbones

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
When I was setting up my finger profiles I was sure to use different positions of each finger so that I would have a broad print of each one. It worked really well. You can also remove a finger profile that isn't working well and reenter it into the phone moving the finger around broadening its profile..

chippy19977

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
Great tip! I was having issues with touch ID working properly as well. I had 4 fingerprints stored. Both thumbs and both index fingers. After several failures I deleted all of them and then stored ONLY my left thumb and now it works every time. Not sure why, but having only one fingerprint saved in settings resolved my issues.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77