Is your 5c showing its age?

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I've got two 5c's, one is stock iOS 8, the other is JB iOS 7.1.2. The one I updated to 8 is very slow and seems to almost stutter. The one that is still on 7.1.2, even with the massive tweaks, still runs flawlessly.

Anyone else experience a slow down or performance hit when moving to iOS 8?

Is it time for me to move up?

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Interesting. I'm not really sure it's your 5c showing its age. After reading many post concerning iOS8, it appears that some idevices run great and some run not so good with iOS 8.0.2 installed. Not sure why. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones as my 5s is running GREAT with iOS 8.0.2

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
That's why I'm thinking I might get another 5s or a 6. In your honest opinion, if you were me, would you wait until more bugs are worked out with the 6? Would you get another 5s instead? Or would you just jump into the 6 and hope for the best?

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
My 5S is running flawlessly on iOS 8.0.2. It's fast and smooth. iOS 8.1 is going to be released Monday give that a try.

mactracker1138

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I noticed a bit of a slowdown when I still had the 5c but nothing too severe. For what it's worth, my iPad Air gets lags at times from the latest iOS update so it could be software related. I'd wait till 8.1 comes out and see where to go from there. I expect that that update will work out a lot of the kinks in the system and things should be a bit smoother. Hopefully anyway.

Last edited:

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
My daughter's 5c is silky smooth on 8.0.2. It hasn't lagged at all that i am aware of.

I think iOS 8 as a whole has been a disaster. I hate it on my 6. I haven't noticed any lag on ether my 6 or iPad Air. Just annoying bugs that I'm not used to seeing on iOS releases.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
My daughter's 5c is silky smooth on 8.0.2. It hasn't lagged at all that i am aware of.

I think iOS 8 as a whole has been a disaster. I hate it on my 6. I haven't noticed any lag on ether my 6 or iPad Air. Just annoying bugs that I'm not used to seeing on iOS releases.

That's what is keeping me from being decisive. Even if my original 5c has slowed down, it's still very reliable. I'm concerned about these bugs as I'm not even sure it's all software issues with the 6. I've been seeing a lot of hardware related posts too.

I just don't know what to do. I need to call the Apple store and see if they do T-Mobile JUMP!. Then ask if they do a restocking fee just in case I get a reaction like I did with the 5s.

My 5c (Both of them) will stay with me. I'm utterly attached and still love them both.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
That's what is keeping me from being decisive. Even if my original 5c has slowed down, it's still very reliable. I'm concerned about these bugs as I'm not even sure it's all software issues with the 6. I've been seeing a lot of hardware related posts too.

I just don't know what to do. I need to call the Apple store and see if they do T-Mobile JUMP!. Then ask if they do a restocking fee just in case I get a reaction like I did with the 5s.

My 5c (Both of them) will stay with me. I'm utterly attached and still love them both.

What hardware issues have you read about the 6? To me, they're all related to iOS 8. I wouldn't attribute it to hardware at all. The 6 feels nice in the hands like the 5c. I loved the 5c when I used it a few weeks before giving it to my daughter. Great form factor.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
What hardware issues have you read about the 6? To me, they're all related to iOS 8. I wouldn't attribute it to hardware at all. The 6 feels nice in the hands like the 5c. I loved the 5c when I used it a few weeks before giving it to my daughter. Great form factor.

Dead pixels, weird bright spots, odd vibration, screen bleed, and a few other things. Not quite sure if those are common.

I'm not around much so can you tell me? Have most users had a flawless experience or is it common these odd one offs?

If it's mostly just software, that can be fixed. I'm just concerned with things that can't easily resolved. Thanks!

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Dead pixels, weird bright spots, odd vibration, screen bleed, and a few other things. Not quite sure if those are common.

I'm not around much so can you tell me? Have most users had a flawless experience or is it common these odd one offs?

If it's mostly just software, that can be fixed. I'm just concerned with things that can't easily resolved. Thanks!

I think the things you mentioned are rare. Hardware wise, mine has been awesome. Software leaves something to be desired. Those are fixable. Even the hardware can be replaced under warranty. You have to decide if you can live with a bigger device. It's quite a bit bigger than the 5c.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I think the things you mentioned are rare. Hardware wise, mine has been awesome. Software leaves something to be desired. Those are fixable. Even the hardware can be replaced under warranty. You have to decide if you can live with a bigger device. It's quite a bit bigger than the 5c.

That's also a really good point you made there. That's why I got a 5c in the first place. My Note 3 was just too big to use as a phone. I've absolutely loved the size and feel of my 5c(s). Perhaps trying a 5s again would be in my better interest?

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi Sept ! I updated my 5C to iOS 8 & then to iOS 8.0.2 ( never did 8.0.1) both by OTA and I have to say I must be one of the lucky ones, as well as my hubby's 5C. We both have had good luck with the software running nicely on our idevices. I'm sorry to hear yours has been laggy. Have you tried doing a restore at all to see if that clears up any nitches?

If you haven't I would give that a try :)

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
That's why I'm thinking I might get another 5s or a 6. In your honest opinion, if you were me, would you wait until more bugs are worked out with the 6? Would you get another 5s instead? Or would you just jump into the 6 and hope for the best?

Honestly, that's a tough decision...If I were you and had as many devices as you have, I would probably go with the 6/6+....I think...SMILE

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Hi Sept ! I updated my 5C to iOS 8 & then to iOS 8.0.2 ( never did 8.0.1) both by OTA and I have to say I must be one of the lucky ones, as well as my hubby's 5C. We both have had good luck with the software running nicely on our idevices. I'm sorry to hear yours has been laggy. Have you tried doing a restore at all to see if that clears up any nitches?

If you haven't I would give that a try :)

My second 5c did a full restore due to an error. Then it updated. It's working 100%. I'm thinking my other one isn't due to residual info from it being an OTA.

At least my daily driver is good. I'm very happy with that actually.

When 8.1 comes out, I'll be restoring my original 5c with it before putting it on my daily driver. Hopefully it'll be okay to OTA the daily driver if I find 8.1 stable on the original.

parker5011

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

My 6 is incredible, and I couldn't imagine going back to any of the 5's. iOS 8 has been buggy but nothing too crazy.

iPhone 6 sending this your way!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77