New battery needed, where to get one and which is best?

upandatom

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
My battery has been dropping by 15 or 20% at a time lately and also 30% charge is the new 0%, making my phone shut off when it reaches 30%. So I brought it into the Apple store and they did a diagnostic, my battery is failing. Of course I didn't get Apple Care and I'm about 2 months out of the 12-month coverage, I'd be on the hook for $79 plus tax to have the battery replaced.

I did a little research and it looks like a really simple job to swap it out myself, but it got me wondering if I can trust the aftermarket ones from ebay or if there's a trusted source to pick up aftermarket batteries. Also, with the new iOS being such a battery hog, is there any kind of higher capacity battery I can replace my stock one with, giving me more battery life?

Any and all help is appreciated!!

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
My battery has been dropping by 15 or 20% at a time lately and also 30% charge is the new 0%, making my phone shut off when it reaches 30%. So I brought it into the Apple store and they did a diagnostic, my battery is failing. Of course I didn't get Apple Care and I'm about 2 months out of the 12-month coverage, I'd be on the hook for $79 plus tax to have the battery replaced.

I did a little research and it looks like a really simple job to swap it out myself, but it got me wondering if I can trust the aftermarket ones from ebay or if there's a trusted source to pick up aftermarket batteries. Also, with the new iOS being such a battery hog, is there any kind of higher capacity battery I can replace my stock one with, giving me more battery life?

Any and all help is appreciated!!

Look into local shops they can do it quick and have all the tools it will be cheaper than apple. But on a side note 79 bucks is not bad and apple stands by their work and uses oem parts that you can not get anywhere else. If I was in your situation I would just pay the 79 bucks

IAmSixNine

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
79 bucks is on par with parts and labor.. Id have them do it.
Also dont fall for higher capacity batteries. The larger capacity the larger the physical size.. There is only so much room in there. So no you wont find a higher capacity battery for an iPhone.

got556

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Ifixit has the how to and the tools/oem battery for around $27 iirc. That's what I plan to use if and when I need a new battery.

Sent from my JB'd iOS 7 iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I'd get the original OEM battery from Apple. It's just like this question: Should I replace my retina screen with Apple or not? You know Apple will install the retina not a cheap alternative.

nabans

Banned
Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
If I were you, I would let them do the job and pay $79 because I don't want to make my iPhone a brick with my own hands. It would be better if they made the brick, in that way, I would get a replacement :)

If you want more battery power, consider purchasing an external battery charger. In this way, you will have the charger always with you as a case cover and as a battery charger.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2