Mobile Data Used While On WiFi

xybadog

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday I, somehow, used 2MB of mobile data while I was connected to WiFi. I was on WiFi all day and it never dropped so I can't understand why I have this mobile data "leakage". Can someone tell me if this is normal behaviour for a phone to still use a certain amount of mobile data even when connected to WiFi?

This morning I turned Wifi and 3G on at 6.30, while still at home and was connected to wifi before I set off for work. By the time I'd left the house 30 minutes later I'd used 800KB of mobile data even though all my early morning syncing had been done via WiFi.

Is this a known issue? Is it an issue at all or just the way these connections work? I've noticed since getting the iphone (1 week ago) that I seem to be using a lot more mobile data than on my old Android phone. So much that I've just had to increase my o2 Bolt On data tariff.

BTW, I'm getting the usage data from the "My data Manager" app.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
If you have email on, or any apps that regularly ping the net for things like weather, you're going to use small amounts of data constantly.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Bingo. The phone actually reverts back to cellular data when it goes into sleep mode, and like Alli said, you have little niblets of data that are used in a background sense (very tiny amounts like you reflected). Syncing is always done over WiFi if the phone is connected to such...backups as well.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Bingo. The phone actually reverts back to cellular data when it goes into sleep mode, and like Alli said, you have little niblets of data that are used in a background sense (very tiny amounts like you reflected). Syncing is always done over WiFi if the phone is connected to such...backups as well.
I thought so. However, when I asked about that over a month ago, I was told that it does not revert back.

xybadog

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Since Sean posted his reply above I've tested this and he's quite correct. When I wake the phone I've noticed it very quickly changes from 3G to wifi. It is very quick due to the processor speed. I've just dl'd insomnia from cydia to see if that helps. Not tested it yet though.