USB Storage question

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I bought the 16 gig thinking that it would be plenty as I came from a 16 gig pre2 and am starting from scratch leaving my 3 thousand pics on my laptop and all the text messages behind not by choice really.

Question is I'm realizing that the OP has already taken a huge chunk of space as well as large size apps. I'm down to 10 gigs in just three weeks and I haven't even jail broken it yet. How much space will that eat??

I should have grabbed the 32g for an extra hundred dollars

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I bought the 16 gig thinking that it would be plenty as I came from a 16 gig pre2 and am starting from scratch leaving my 3 thousand pics on my laptop and all the text messages behind not by choice really.

Question is I'm realizing that the OP has already taken a huge chunk of space as well as large size apps. I'm down to 10 gigs in just three weeks and I haven't even jail broken it yet. How much space will that eat??

I should have grabbed the 32g for an extra hundred dollars

It will depend on how many jailbreak app you opt to store on your device. Furthermore, although you purchased a 16 GB model, you did not have 16 GB of available storage space because iOS and the native apps used some of that space. Anyway, the 16 GB model is plenty for 'me', but I'm not the type that stores thousands of photos, videos & audio files on my phone nor do I keep text messages forever. :)....but to each his or her own. As for the 32 GB model, well, you'll know what to get the next time you upgrade, right?...:D...Take care and have a great Easter.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
thanks for the reply

I just didn't expect over two gigs out the starting gate....is it possible iOS is holding space for future updates?

I've been reading about the jailbreak apps I'm only interested in a few and I will take your advice on what I will keep which will end up being everything I'm a confessed bit and byte hoarder with USB keys to old Zip disks full of data I end up saving everything...if I can't save it I screenshot it

Question: I heard about itunes backup of your iphone ...can I back up itunes and then delete in the future to save space?

I see icloud limits your backups unless you pay a premium so I will only enable certain things to the cloud

I'm in a two year sprint contract so I'm thinking long term.....

and yes JustMe'D I will go big on the iphone 10 :cool:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
thanks for the reply
You're very welcome.

I just didn't expect over two gigs out the starting gate....is it possible iOS is holding space for future updates?
No, not to my knowledge.

I've been reading about the jailbreak apps I'm only interested in a few and I will take your advice on what I will keep which will end up being everything I'm a confessed bit and byte hoarder with USB keys to old Zip disks full of data I end up saving everything...if I can't save it I screenshot it
Hey, a lot of people are the same way so have at it, my friend. It's your data and your device...:)

Question: I heard about itunes backup of your iphone ...can I back up itunes and then delete in the future to save space?
iTunes backups are saved on your computer, not your iPhone, and yes, you can delete iTunes backups. I recommend you take a moment an read the information found at the link below:
iTunes: About iOS backups

I see icloud limits your backups unless you pay a premium so I will only enable certain things to the cloud

I understand...(laughing)...Take care, my friend, and have a great Easter...:D

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
thanks for the reply

How much free space do you have now? Jailbreak and the tweaks don't take a lot of space but it depends what tweaks there are complete themes that are pretty heavy. I find most people I know with the 16GB find it constrictive on space. Any apps and media you buy in iTunes is kept in your account so deleting it off the phone doesn't mean you will lose them. If you use iCloud and turn on the backup then that will save your text messages etc.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2