Restore as New, but save layout? Save battery?

bergman

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
I've read a number of postings that attest to the value of setting up a new iOS device as a new device rather than restoring from the previous device. On my 5th iPhone and 3rd iPad I can imagine that the restore process may bring along some unwanted baggage. However, I have so many apps and I have them organized as I want them. Is there a way to save the app layout, restore as new and then "reinstall" the apps in the same layout? My iPhone5 battery has not performed as well as others report so I'd like to restore as new without the major hassle of reorganizing my apps.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, you can restore your device as new but you will also have to restore from a backup to get the results you want.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
There's always a reason for a restore though, therefore you should ALWAYS restore as new!
I. M. (not so) H. O.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
That's why restoring as a new device is always a bit of a somber suggestion.

I disagree. Restoring as new, although an inconvenience to some, has been known to fix a myriad of problems. Personally, I backup my device often, but I rarely restore from any of my backups. I prefer to restore as new. :) It keeps me from dealing with unnecessary issues, in my opinion.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
There's always a reason for a restore though, therefore you should ALWAYS restore as new!
I. M. (not so) H. O.

Like you, I'm a huge advocate of restoring a new and until I see a reason not to, I'll continue to restore as new. :(

anon(3733516)

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I disagree. Restoring as new, although an inconvenience to some, has been known to fix a myriad of problems. Personally, I backup my device often, but I rarely restore from any of my backups. I prefer to restore as new. :) It keeps me from dealing with unnecessary issues, in my opinion.

I didn't mean that it's a bad idea, I just meant it's a total pain.

daneg

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Is there directions how to restore after setting it up as a new phone?

Even if you set it up as a new phone and dont do a restore you can still get your contacts, music that you bought and apps without paying for them again correct/

col_bris

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Yes providing you back up before yu restore your last back up can be restored by a new sync

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk in Australia

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Is there directions how to restore after setting it up as a new phone?

Even if you set it up as a new phone and dont do a restore you can still get your contacts, music that you bought and apps without paying for them again correct/

Yes.

The instructions can be found HERE.
As for your purchased apps and music, they will be available to you without having to re-purchase them. Your apps will be located in the "purchased" section of the device's App Store app. When you initiate the App Store, select "Updates" at the bottom right corner. Afterwards, you will see "Purchased", and when you tap on it, your purchased apps will appear. For your music, initiate the iTunes app, select "More" in the bottom right corner and then "music". Select "Purchased" like you did with prior to see and download your previously purchased music.

bergman

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
LivieS - Great post. Thanks! My needs are much simpler. I'm not into games and don't care about the local data. However I have a lot of apps (some used very infrequently). I just want to put the same apps back in the same places to save the tedious task of reorganizing. is there a technical term for the layout and app inventory? This seems like a great feature for Apple to offer or for a developer to produce.

Hey, I'm with the iPhone Backup Extractor team at Reincubate, we work with iTunes backups on a day to day basis. Our users ask about apps all the time, and we have been able to help in many cases. I can tell you restoring as new means you will definitely start from scratch. If you want to keep your old layout and settings, I reccommend restoring from a backup, this will will revert everything on the phone to the moment and settings of the time when your backup was taken (this will bring back all the other stuff in your backup as well).

If you want to start anew, Apps can be downloaded again from the Apple store, it's no problem, you don't have to pay for them again. But if you want them in the shape they were before (i.e. keeping your scores for games and such) you can extract appdata from the backup and then get it back to your iPhone. Here's a guide on how you can do that:

How to restore app data and high-scores back onto your iPhone

If I can be of help furthermore I will be happy to guide you.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77