My weekend: From iPhone 3g to Galaxy Note 2, to iPhone 5!!!!!!

ctdog

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi all, new guy here!

Anyhow, I was due for a phone upgrade and decided to do it this weekend, here's what happened: I've had my iPhone 3g since day one. Was getting bored with it, then when the iPhone 5 came out, I went and looked at it and wasn't impressed, not "new" enough. At the store I saw, played with and fell in love with the Samsung Galaxy Note 2. The device is freaking awesome, the 5.5" screen is amazing!!! Here what soured me though:

1) Google Play has (IMO) a lousy selection compared to iTunes. I like a lot of older TV shows (Lost in Space, Night Stalker, etc) and only iTunes has them.

2) Several apps I dowloaded came with, to me, scary security warnings about how my text and/or credit card info could be captured. The devs might have put that in there for legal reasons, but still it worried me that maybe security isn't too tight.

3) The keyboard, excuse my language, SUCKS! Not at all intuitive, it made writing texts, copying & pasting, etc, a real pain. I tried several keyboards, all required too much effort.

Let me say again though, the Note 2 is awesome, and I LOVE that 5.5" screen. What drove me back to the iPhone is that it just works, is intuitive in the controls, and iTunes (IMO) has a superior selection. If Google can improve their offerings, and make the phones controls more user friendly, they'll have a world class product! As it stands right now though, the iPhone is simply the best. At lease to me:)

jbs4life97

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I had a different experience, but same outcome.

I had my iPhone 4 and was due for an upgrade. Wanted to try something different and went for the Nokia Lumia 920. It's a nice phone, but WP8 - while being a nice OS, it still needs a lot of improvements and I didn't' feel like an being an early adopter (as I was with Android, and wow.. Android when it first came out was the WORST experience I've ever had with a phone - to the point where I couldn't make phone calls because the OS was so glitchy and bugged.)

Anyways, I went to the iPhone 5 and couldn't be happier.. you really can't go wrong with an iPhone.

steveh552

Trusted Member
Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I just moved from android to the iPhone 5 but my reason is different than yours. I had a Galaxy s3 and it just would not hold a signal here at my house, was told Samsung has weak radios and so I thought I'd give the iPhone a try and what a difference it makes. I love having signal, the smaller screen is hard to get use too.

As for the security warnings you get with android, I'm sure if required you would get them with apple

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to iMore!! Enjoy your stay!!

Former BlackBerry user here. Very happy with my iPhone - don't see myself going anywhere for a very long time!

MrszBerry

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
2) Several apps I dowloaded came with, to me, scary security warnings about how my text and/or credit card info could be captured. The devs might have put that in there for legal reasons, but still it worried me that maybe security

Oh wow!! :eek:
This is scary!! This may be what happened to me!! Makes me rethink the whole android thing. Not cool
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Vanti

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
You still had an iphone 3g?! Dont get me wrong the story was touching an all but i feel like their are some gaps.... Did you get the iphone 3g and use it as your main phone for four years?

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi all, new guy here!

Anyhow, I was due for a phone upgrade and decided to do it this weekend, here's what happened: I've had my iPhone 3g since day one. Was getting bored with it, then when the iPhone 5 came out, I went and looked at it and wasn't impressed, not "new" enough. At the store I saw, played with and fell in love with the Samsung Galaxy Note 2. The device is freaking awesome, the 5.5" screen is amazing!!! Here what soured me though:

1) Google Play has (IMO) a lousy selection compared to iTunes. I like a lot of older TV shows (Lost in Space, Night Stalker, etc) and only iTunes has them.

2) Several apps I dowloaded came with, to me, scary security warnings about how my text and/or credit card info could be captured. The devs might have put that in there for legal reasons, but still it worried me that maybe security isn't too tight.

3) The keyboard, excuse my language, SUCKS! Not at all intuitive, it made writing texts, copying & pasting, etc, a real pain. I tried several keyboards, all required too much effort.

Let me say again though, the Note 2 is awesome, and I LOVE that 5.5" screen. What drove me back to the iPhone is that it just works, is intuitive in the controls, and iTunes (IMO) has a superior selection. If Google can improve their offerings, and make the phones controls more user friendly, they'll have a world class product! As it stands right now though, the iPhone is simply the best. At lease to me:)

#2 The warnings are standard warnings the Google requires its devs to divulge to users installing the dev's app.... or would you rather they keep it a secret?
#3 I have the Note 2 also, and I find the keyboard (a special build of Swiftkey) to be fantastic. Did you notice that not only did the keyboard auto correct, but it also would present you with a possible next word based on the context of the sentence you are typing? That is truly amazing IMO. The IOS keyboard is the only keyboard you get on the iPhone. 3rd party offerings are nice to have. Choice is nice to have.

Did you play with Google Now? If you didnt, then you missed something special.

Cant argue with Google Play... but its getting better everyday. You probably dont consider android user friendly because you are allowed more flexibility than you do with iOS. I can see that being an issue. Sometimes a lack of choice/options makes life a lot easier for the user. I totally get that.

Having said all the above, the iP5 is a great phone. Enjoy it!!!

cckgz4

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Had the Lumia 900 before this. Loved everything about that phone but was missing Instagram, multiple music sources (Amazon Music) and book apps (Nook??), and other app selections. Went and did an early upgrade for the 5 and have been happy ever since. I have a huge library in Nook while having some stock on the Kindle. I have a Spotify account, I have a few albums on Amazon Music, I have some albums on Google Play, and my library is growing on iTunes. It's nice to have variety available to you versus having to use multiple devices.

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I went from all the iphones including the 5,,, but became underwhelmed by the iPhone 5,,,,,,, I then got the GS3 but I was drooling over the Note 2,,,, so I picked up the Note 2 and am pretty hooked now.

The Note 2 is an amazing phone hands down.

Do I miss my iPhone 5,,,, yes,,,a little,,,,, but not enough to make me go back to it.

I still Love my iPad and iPad mini,,, those are keepers,,,,, but I am thinking about returning the Nexus 10 I just got,,,, the Nexus is a very cool tablet but I think the iPads are still the better pick.

Yea,,, I'm one of those weirdos that like both iOS and Android.

Cheers
Davyo

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I started with an original first gen iPhone it was my first smartphone although I did have a relatively smart Motorolla Ming lol. I loved the iPhone and then went to an iPhone 3G I already knew that I would always use an iPhone as long as Apple kept making them. While I had my 3G, skipped the 3Gs, I decided to try a Nexus with FroYo and damn after a month I couldn't stand it anymore. The experience was horrible and so rough. I just wanted to test Android for the hell of it my 3G was still my daily so I sold the Nexus and since then I upgraded to an iPhone 4 and then the iPhone 5. I always skip a generation because I never buy my phones on contract so I make it last for at least two years before upgrading. The old saying first impressions last sums up my experience because I will never personally use Android again it just doesn't offer me anything.

ctdog

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

1) Yep, I had my iPhone for 4 years before changing. Once I like something, I tend to stck with it.
2) The Note 2 IS an awesome device, but it simply didn't meet my needs via the keyboard or Google Play selection. I tried several keyboards, none were nearly as intuitive as the IOS keyboard.
3) The security aspect of Android made me uneasy. Yes, I know, no phone or system is immune from attack. But it for sure seems Apple has a pretty good grasp on security.

Neither Apple nor Samsung, or any other device, is perfect. I've had my share of problems with my iPhone(s), but for me, they simply work the best.

snookasnoo

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
As for the security warnings you get with android, I'm sure if required you would get them with apple

And you would be wrong. Apple does not allow apps to collect your data willy nilly as Google does with Android. This is part of what they check for before allowing an app in the app store.

pstmstr

Nov 23, 2008
Visit site
I tried a Note 2....twice but returned the 2nd one to Verizon this week and will be sticking with my iphone 5 with the hopes a larger iphone will be released later this year. Love the big screen and Android has came a long way since the last time I tried it. I'm now on a JB iphone and enjoying the best of both worlds.

ctdog

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
The Note 3 will no doubt be an awesome phone, as is the Note 2. Where Apple destroys Samsung is ecosystem. Google Play STILL does not have Amazon Instant Video, and the movie & TV show selection in Google Play is lousy. Like I wrote before, in addition to new shows, I like a lot of older stuff, and only iTunes and Amazon has that. If Samsung got rid of Google/Google Play, and started it's own OS, then I'd have to think they'd cut deals with Amazon, film studios, etc. The Note has an incredible display & size, and lots of neat features, all hampered by Google. Then again, perhaps Samsung can't cut deals with Amazon, and is limited to what they can get, Apple is a smart company and knows how to protect its turf.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I just moved from android to the iPhone 5 but my reason is different than yours. I had a Galaxy s3 and it just would not hold a signal here at my house, was told Samsung has weak radios and so I thought I'd give the iPhone a try and what a difference it makes. I love having signal, the smaller screen is hard to get use too.

Apple actually has set in place a security check before apps are released android doesn't have that.. Not saying that apple is 100 percent secure but it's better anyway! :)

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I owned the Note 2 and I really enjoyed it. The S pen was a remarkable addition to the smartphone. The battery life was awesome for a device that size with LTE. The OS ran smooth. Just really no issues. The reason I switched back to iOS with the iPhone 5 is that the iPhone 5 is just better in my opinion. And iTunes has a lot more to offer.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2