Slow application download on WPA2 WiFi

snobrdr2324

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I am aware of people having issues with intermittent wifi issues when connected to a WPA2 encrypted router, as in it doesn't stay connected. My issue is that it stays connected with normal download speeds and even internet browsing is as snappy as it should be on wifi, however, app downloads take a mind numbing amount of time. I still have my original iPhone 2g lying around and I downloaded flow free(since i knew it supported iOS 3) and the original iPhone downloaded it and installed it two times before my iPhone 5 finished. I did the same test on my universities wifi (not encrypted) and my iPhone 5 blew the original out of the water and downloaded in a matter of seconds. So this leads me to believe it is a software issue with WPA2 routers since I'm not having trouble with other uses of the internet but I wasn't sure. Anyone have some input?

Thanks

snobrdr2324

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Could just be your router or ISP speed ?

Try changing encryption on. Your router to confirm ?

I get around 10 Mbps down on a speed test, plus I mentioned my original iPhone on the same network downloads twice as fast as my iPhone 5 so it's not my Internet. I also live in an apartment and my roommate wouldn't appreciate me changing the encryption + I wouldn't feel comfortable with WEP since its easy to break.

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I honestly think something is up with how iphone 5 stays connected via wifi. I too have noticed in my house and office how the iphone 5 performs when on wifi. on the 4S i had no issues what so ever. At my office i noticed my router kept on dropping the connection. After a careful look I noticed the phone was the cause of this. So now at my office im no longer using the phone on wifi. Hopefully with the new update 6.1 the wifi situtation gets fixed. Something seems to be going on.

janedo1586

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I noticed this too. I just got my 5 this week. I did not restore a backup but started from scratch, so a bunch of apps wanted to update. It took FOREVER. Last night just trying to update one app took a long time. It never took so long on my 4. I have issues too with it staying connected to wifi at home that I never had with my 4. :(

ETA: I just ran a speed test connected to the office wifi and got 26.95Mbps. Curious to see what that is at home....

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I get around 10 Mbps down on a speed test, plus I mentioned my original iPhone on the same network downloads twice as fast as my iPhone 5 so it's not my Internet. I also live in an apartment and my roommate wouldn't appreciate me changing the encryption + I wouldn't feel comfortable with WEP since its easy to break.

I would just change it for testing purpose then put it back .. Just to prove its the issue with the iPhone 5

snobrdr2324

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I would just change it for testing purpose then put it back .. Just to prove its the issue with the iPhone 5

So I just tried removing security all together, and it was still substantially slower than my original iPhone, but I am not having the connection issues when browsing the internet like janedo is. I'm hoping this is a software issue and not a hardware one, I have had like 4 replacement phones so far and really don't want another which is why I wanted to see if anyone else knew about this. I guess I'll wait until an update comes out to see if it fixes it.

snobrdr2324

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site

So I removed all encryption and it still downloaded slow, now I don't see how my iPhone 5 would be slow when my iPhone 2g is totally fine if it were really my network. I did try downloading an app on both again with the encryption off and found the same results, iPhone 2g beat the 5 in a landslide.

TaliZorah

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Probably has to do with router brand... Maybe?

I have a Netgear that's set up with WPA2 and it works fine. I would definitely upgrade your routers firmware if needed too.

gogohoffman

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
It's not the router.. I have a Airport Extreme. Everything is up to date.. It's the iPhone 5. I notice the little things that maybe others ignore. My iPhone 5 and iPad 4 downloaded slow out of no where. Maybe when I updated iOS 6.0.1 or whatever. Now. My iPad downloads fast and fine. Still my iPhone 5 is embarrassingly crippled with download speeds. As if my iPhone isn't segregating cellular and wifi download.. My Internet speed, isn't to question. I live in Korea with fiber optic and my Internet speed tops on average around 94mbs down and 75mbs upload. Also my up to date iPhone 4 not 4s is downloading faster than the iPhone 5. God help us all. Lol

Last edited:

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I am a tech for Comcast and I have been seeing a lot of mobile device owners complaining about speeds. iPhone blackberry or android. All around fix for a lot of them is checking and updating their routers firmware.

Sent using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2