Apple is still one of the best at it, in the same fashion they always were...they polish the hell out of what works to perfection, they don't jump on gimmicks, and they take features you find on other devices and improve and make them unique to Apple in order to have long lasting native software (though the new maps system is certainly a "work in progress" type deal). Your statements implies that Apple has some how "lost" something...I'd say that millions of people disagree, which leads me to believe that Apple isn't in a hurry to really make any drastic changes anytime soon, and that (to me) is a great thing.
    I agree 100%, I guess I'm just wondering if sticking with this approach is smart? I'm of the mindset that change (nothing drastic required) is a good thing, if it brings about better products for everyone. I like the old Apple mindset of Think Different, which they don't do anymore, IMO.

I think we've beat this dead horse to a pulp, how about you?
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    10-12-2012 11:05 AM
    No need to change.... if you have an iphone 5 go back to a 3GS and you'll see how different and outdated that phone feels now eventhough both have pretty much the same UI, they really feel like night and day, the small improvements the iphone and IOS got in the last years have made a great phone that isn't broken , I'm sure if they redesign the UI you'll be bored again in a couple of years..
    Fausty82 likes this.
    10-12-2012 11:14 AM
    But none of the iterations are really a change, they are implementations of ideas already done by others. ...(snipped)...
    To the people who have only owned a non-smartphone or an iPhone, Apple's implementation of what others have already done are new and exciting. This is my interpretation of iPhone owners:

Typical user - text, email, calls, light web surfing & card or puzzle games

Moderate user - add music, video & more games to the above.

Serious user - add reminders, calendars, notes, documents & other productivity stuff.

Techies - add jailbreak, forum usage, tech blog reading & app experimenting.

In my opinion, the typical user is Apple's target market and the largest of all the aforementioned groups so it only makes sense for them to introduce incremental changes and besides, they know that people in the other groups will still buy their products with or without griping.

Just Me, D
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 10-12-2012 at 11:29 AM.
    BLiNK and Fausty82 like this.
    10-12-2012 11:18 AM
    I just want to ask one question to all the people who love the way Apple is doing things. We all agree that Apple keeps things simple so that everyone can use the devices easily correct. So icons are kept to a strict grid because allowing users to put things anywhere on the usable homescreen would confuse some people. Yet in iOS even if I have a whole empty row on my homescreen when I install a new app it goes to the second screen. Now you might think it's simple everyone knows to swipe to the next screen but how is that easy for an 80 year old user? Let's just say for arguments sake they can't find the new app people will say just use spotlight again I'm not sure that is so simple that anyone can use it.

It is a simple example that things aren't always simple. The point is allowing icons and folders to be put anywhere on the homescreen doesn't mean you can have it half hanging ontop of another it still snaps to the grid it's just not an absolute grid. This is something simple that Apple will probably never do, why?

---------- Post Merged at 10:56 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:52 AM ----------

People keep saying it's familiar and this is the benefit. Well maybe I'm wrong here but I didn't think we're talking about changing what is familiar I thought what we have gotten to now is why Apple wont impliment things that are beneficial to the user instead sticking to keeping it simple. Familiar doesn't have to mean simple, sticking a toggle for a lockscreen clock doesn't change the way icons are arranged on the homescreen, etc. Allowing icons to be placed anywhere on the homescreen grid doesn't affect the function of the home button or pinch to zoom.
    Let's start with your question about ease of use for an 80 year old...lol...i don't think the iPhone is marketed towards someone like that, or anywhere near someone like that, so while the phone does offer probably one of the most universally easy layouts to navigate and use, pretending it will be easy for every person that could possibly exist is just silly, and is definitely not something ANY company strives for when building their product.

So one of your biggest gripes is about being able to place icons anywhere on the screen? I remember reading quite a while back when someone was building a custom grid placement app for Cydia, and how they explained that one of the reasons they figured this wasn't a native ability on the iPhone was because even when they were developing their custom grid layout, icons would sometimes get into areas that would cause glitchy issues, overlapping, wandering off screen, etc...and explained that in the world of Apple's native UI, this kind of thing was not acceptable...therefore a strict grid was put in place, to prevent the possibility of these radical placements (even if they were inconsistent and uncommon).

The same happened with the panoramic camera feature on the 4/4S...the software was there, and the option to actually use such was in the Beta forms if i remember correctly, but because the feature didn't work up to Apple's standard, it was not given to consumers (not until now anyways, where they've figured out how to perfect it, and anyone can agree, the Apple panoramic feature on the iPhone works as good or better than any of the top panoramic photo apps or native functions on other phones available).

And even in these things, as far as the desire to see such things, you're still talking about a niche want, not a wide desire to see it. People think that jailbreakers make up this vast and expansive group of iPhone owners who want to see these changes they are so used to making made native on the device they love, but it's just not true...the jailbreak community is pretty small in the view of how many iPhone's are out on the market.

---------- Post Merged at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:18 AM ----------

I agree 100%, I guess I'm just wondering if sticking with this approach is smart? I'm of the mindset that change (nothing drastic required) is a good thing, if it brings about better products for everyone. I like the old Apple mindset of Think Different, which they don't do anymore, IMO.

I think we've beat this dead horse to a pulp, how about you?
    I'm bored out of my mind on a FEMA site today with absolutely NOTHING to do...i want to beat this horse until 1830.
    BLiNK and Fausty82 like this.
    10-12-2012 11:20 AM
    To the people who has only owned a non-smartphone or an iPhone, Apple's implementation of what others have already done are new and exciting. This is my interpretation of iPhone owners:

Typical user - text, email, calls, light web surfing & card or puzzle games

Moderate user - add music, video & more games to the above.

Serious user - add reminders, calendars, notes, documents & other productivity stuff.

Techies - add jailbreak, forum usage, tech blog reading & app experimenting.

In my opinion, the typical user is Apple's target market and the largest of all the aforementioned groups so it only makes sense for them to introduce incremental changes and besides, they know that people in the other groups will still buy their products with or without griping.

Just Me, D
    very well said, sir!
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    10-12-2012 11:26 AM
    I'm bored out of my mind on a FEMA site today with absolutely NOTHING to do...i want to beat this horse until 1830.
    LOL! Let's have at it!!! Actually, I have lots I should be doing at work, just don't wanna. Oh well...
    10-12-2012 11:29 AM
    LOL! Let's have at it!!! Actually, I have lots I should be doing at work, just don't wanna. Oh well...
    It is Friday...one cannot expect someone to put in legit effort on a Friday
    10-12-2012 11:33 AM
    It is Friday...one cannot expect someone to put in legit effort on a Friday
    Word. I'll drink to that.
    10-12-2012 11:39 AM
    Some good conversations going on here, thanks keep it going. It's nice to see different views on what Apple need to do to the UI in the future.
    10-12-2012 01:01 PM
    This seems to be a bit more of a hardware addition than UI change, but one could argue that it does flirt the line...

Apple developing 'stealth' biometric security for iPhone

...and i think this is certainly going to be one of the front running "features" cell phone companies start pushing (especially with NFC becoming more and more popular and in demand as the years go on)...mobile device security is definitely going to be a major selling point in the coming years with people keeping very delicate and important information as they would on their computers (since these devices are essentially pocket computers).
    ltieperman likes this.
    10-12-2012 01:40 PM
    This seems to be a bit more of a hardware addition than UI change, but one could argue that it does flirt the line...

...and i think this is certainly going to be one of the front running "features" cell phone companies start pushing (especially with NFC becoming more and more popular and in demand as the years go on)...mobile device security is definitely going to be a major selling point in the coming years with people keeping very delicate and important information as they would on their computers (since these devices are essentially pocket computers).
    I like the idea of fingerprint/facial/voice recognition as security. Of course my Nexus has facial unlock for security, which I used once, and never again.
    10-12-2012 03:03 PM
    I thought this thread was definitely a really good one and not like some I've seen that degrade into personal attacks lol. The biometric security would be awesom because it would be the easiest way to impliment a BiteSMS like feature of reading messages from the lockscreen among other things. I still think that Apple has held back from allowing text messages on the homescreen because of the security issues. If someone doesn't impliment a passcode for their device their at fault. However if someone who implimented a passcode loses a device or has it stolen and the messages can be read and responded to from the lockscreen it becomes something people will want to sue Apple over.
    ltieperman likes this.
    10-12-2012 03:05 PM

I agree these devices are pocket PCs...I rarely use my laptop at home anymore unless I have to type a lot for one reason or another. I'm either on my phone or tablet. And with the smaller tablets coming into their own with the Nexus 7 and Kindle (I guess we'll include that one) and iPad mini, more folks will be carrying them around. Security is definitely a high priority.
    Ipheuria likes this.
    10-12-2012 03:16 PM
    I thought this thread was definitely a really good one and not like some I've seen that degrade into personal attacks lol.
    I agree, I love talking tech with smart folks.
    10-12-2012 03:31 PM
    Gotta butt in again. (I tried, but resistance is futile.) Something up there ^ caught my eye. A comment about not being aimed at an 80 year old. (No, I'm not that old.) However, my parents recently switched to iPhones from Android. While, most of you have parents younger than me, my father is 85 and my mother is 77. Mom doesn't use a computer anymore - she uses an iPad. She loves her combination of iPhone and iPad. Dad is still tied to his PC, but he does a lot of photo editing and has a fortune invested in things like Photoshop filters. Rambling, yea...lemme get back to the point.

The UI is easy. It is aimed at anyone, whether they are 16 or 80, who just wants to pick up the phone and go. It is aimed at anyone who doesn't want to have to go to a techie friend for help. And, boy howdy, Apple's aim is true. (Nod to Elvis Costello.) Dad has not asked a single question about using his iPhone, and I know he uses it to its full potential. (At 85!) Apple would be nuts to do much changing.
    10-12-2012 05:55 PM
    Gotta butt in again. (I tried, but resistance is futile.) Something up there ^ caught my eye. A comment about not being aimed at an 80 year old. (No, I'm not that old.) However, my parents recently switched to iPhones from Android. While, most of you have parents younger than me, my father is 85 and my mother is 77. Mom doesn't use a computer anymore - she uses an iPad. She loves her combination of iPhone and iPad. Dad is still tied to his PC, but he does a lot of photo editing and has a fortune invested in things like Photoshop filters. Rambling, yea...lemme get back to the point.

The UI is easy. It is aimed at anyone, whether they are 16 or 80, who just wants to pick up the phone and go. It is aimed at anyone who doesn't want to have to go to a techie friend for help. And, boy howdy, Apple's aim is true. (Nod to Elvis Costello.) Dad has not asked a single question about using his iPhone, and I know he uses it to its full potential. (At 85!) Apple would be nuts to do much changing.
    I made the comment, but i can see how it might be taken out of the context i was aiming at...i wasn't trying to say anything outside of the great point you just made about it being marketed to ANYONE, but i don't think i brought my thought across as clear as it was in my head. I was mostly trying to point out that there will always be certain people that can't figure out technology, even on a device that has such a easy to use UI as iOS devices do. Perhaps putting the age reflection in my post was a bit assumptive, my dad is getting up there in age and he certainly loves his iPhone AND iPad!
    Just_Me_D and Alli like this.
    10-12-2012 07:47 PM
    So after all that (I agree with Alli) can I get my themes and place an icon where I want now?
    Alli likes this.
    10-12-2012 08:17 PM
    So after all that (I agree with Alli) can I get my themes and place an icon where I want now?
    ltieperman likes this.
    10-12-2012 08:24 PM
    No soup for you! Unless you wanna give an android phone a run. Themes galore and icons can go anywhere you want.
    10-12-2012 08:31 PM
    No soup for you! Unless you wanna give an android phone a run. Themes galore and icons can go anywhere you want.
    I'm one of those crazy gadget guys. I have an iPhone 4S and a Samsung Galaxy S3. Yep, sad, I know...
    10-12-2012 08:46 PM
    I'm one of those crazy gadget guys. I have an iPhone 4S and a Samsung Galaxy S3. Yep, sad, I know...
    Not sad at all. I have multiple devices as well. Thinking about getting an iPad mini. Its good to have a foot in both ecosystems I think.
    10-12-2012 09:35 PM
    You say if apple does a major UI refresh then you wouldnt have to jailbreak. I think that when they stop selling tens if not hundreds of millions of idevices is when we will see a complete UI overhaul...... as for switching minor colors within the UI such as from blue to grey or circles instead of rectangles..... i hardly find that " Refreshing "
    10-13-2012 02:20 AM
    You say if apple does a major UI refresh then you wouldnt have to jailbreak. I think that when they stop selling tens if not hundreds of millions of idevices is when we will see a complete UI overhaul...... as for switching minor colors within the UI such as from blue to grey or circles instead of rectangles..... i hardly find that " Refreshing "
    Well I will probably still jailbreak since I like to customize the phone beyond what Apple intended it to be, lol. Changing the colors scheme is just an example. Knowing Apple, I doubt there will be a major UI anytime soon. If they do intend to update the UI, it will be phase out into small updates. Changing the color scheme IMO is a good start and some minor options to customize the UI in one's preference. And no I am not expecting the ability to theme, that will never happen in Apple's ways. All I'm asking is for Apple to start implementing UI changes wether it's minor or major. The UI has been practically the same since iOS 1. At some point it will start to look old in comparison to Android and Windows Phone. Heck, I am already starting to feel it looks dated compared to others. But then again as a Mac user, the osX hasn't changed much either. I guess at the end I need to start embracing the stock UI more and accept the fact that once Apple finally find the one that works, there's hardly any changes made.
    10-13-2012 03:52 AM
    Wow! Ive will be in charge of the UI now. Expect some new things! Maybe I wasn't the only one that feels iOS is looking dated. Firing Forstall certainly gives that thought. What are your thoughts of this major shift at Apple?
    10-31-2012 12:24 AM
    I would like to see more UI changes as Apple updates iOS, but I don't feel a total revamp is necessary. Part of the reason the iPhone is so successful is because it's UI is simple and clean.

PS: I think the mix-up at Apple will be for the better. I think putting each exec in-charge of their respective departments places more accountability and emphasis on producing quality hardware and software. I guess we'll see..
    10-31-2012 02:00 PM
113 ... 2345