who is the Dad of the year? i am.

Glass of OJ

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I feel that if a parent is willing to buy their child a cell phone and let the child use it as they please (of course monitor who they are talking to) then it would be mean to use the child's upgrade for their own. I mean if the child is bratty and feels like he/she is obligated to it no matter what that is wrong. But let's say the child has a piece of crap phone and they have their hopes up for a new phone only to be told that they can't because their parents are using the upgrade for the iPhone 5 when the parent already has a 4s that in my eyes is mean.

Huuuge props to blink.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
And yes, unquestionably, everything the kids have is a privilege...since when are kids owed anything in terms of life's luxury? These kids today watch too much Kardashian, and not enough Cleanhouseian (that is copyrighted by my brother, i take no royalties but think it's hilarious!)

I'm thankful that my husband & I are able to teach our kids how to respect the luxury of having certain things we allow them to have, and to respect the things they earn themselves. We are 7 person house hold. My hubs and I each have iPhones. 3 of my others have iPhones and a droid. THEY have part time jobs to pay for their data plans. My other 2 have basic texting phones, no data reqd, but we pay the tab for them until they can themselves. Each of them have a chore that has to be done daily in the house to earn their keep. unfortunately alot of parents these days want too much to be "friends" with their kids & give them everything, turning them into spoiled brats & feeling like they (the kids) are owed something.

And yes, alot of tv shows these days, all those reality bullsh-t ones on how the other half lives doesn't help either.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm thankful that my husband & I are able to teach our kids how to respect the luxury of having certain things we allow them to have, and to respect the things they earn themselves. We are 7 person house hold. My hubs and I each have iPhones. 3 of my others have iPhones and a droid. THEY have part time jobs to pay for their data plans. My other 2 have basic texting phones, no data reqd, but we pay the tab for them until they can themselves. Each of them have a chore that has to be done daily in the house to earn their keep. unfortunately alot of parents these days want too much to be "friends" with their kids & give them everything, turning them into spoiled brats & feeling like they (the kids) are owed something.

And yes, alot of tv shows these days, all those reality bullsh-t ones on how the other half lives doesn't help either.

Well done, Pink. Thanks for bringing another voice of reason. No one is entitled to anything. You have to earn it. (or pay for it yourself, kiddos).

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I feel that if a parent is willing to buy their child a cell phone and let the child use it as they please (of course monitor who they are talking to) then it would be mean to use the child's upgrade for their own. I mean if the child is bratty and feels like he/she is obligated to it no matter what that is wrong. But let's say the child has a piece of crap phone and they have their hopes up for a new phone only to be told that they can't because their parents are using the upgrade for the iPhone 5 when the parent already has a 4s that in my eyes is mean.

Huuuge props to blink.

If a parent told a child they were going to get to use the upgrade on a new iPhone then yes, that would be unfair...but if there's an upgrade on an account that the child doesn't pay for personally, the parents have first dibs at ALL of it, regardless of what phone they are upgrading from. It's part of being the person in charge of the account...I'm a sergeant on my force, do you think when there is an open window of vacation time the rookies are going to get first dibs on it just because they want time off? LoL...nope.

iSmileyFace

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Why the hell did this thread get so serious, lol...

1.) Blink is dad of the year...if you disagree, shut up. :)

2.) There isn't a teenager alive that is getting a phone from their parents that get's precedence over the parents when it comes to upgrades...to me, a 13 year old doesn't deserve an iPhone (that's just me personally though), but I'll side with any parent in the world who takes a kids upgrade to get a new iPhone for themselves. A 13 year old is lucky to have a cell phone period, much less a new iPhone.

---------- Post Merged at 02:26 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:20 PM ----------

Selfish? lmfao...kiddo, I'm going to repeat this, there isn't a teenager still living at home in the WORLD that is entitled to something like a cell phone upgrade to a point where a parent using said upgrade is selfish. This is a privilege a child like you gets to enjoy because you're not old enough to sign up for one yourself and your parent allows you to have such things.

The self entitlement kids have these days is astonishing! I'm sure i was just as idiotic at 14 too. And as far as your "i dont spend my whole life on these forums", what else do you have to do? Homework? Mow the lawn? Take out the garbage? Quit pretending like you have more pressing matters youngin'!

I got my iPhone last year when I was 13. I waited many months and saved my upgrade until the 4S came out and I bought it then. You should be able to use your own upgrades; if my parents decided to use mine while I was saving up for my 4S I would've been extremely pissed. Just saying.

I actually DO have a life, thank you. If that was all you did when you were 14, you had a sad life.

Don't reply to me if you don't want the responsibility of starting a flame war. I don't start flame wars.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I got my iPhone last year when I was 13. I waited many months and saved my upgrade until the 4S came out and I bought it then. You should be able to use your own upgrades; if my parents decided to use mine while I was saving up for my 4S I would've been extremely pissed. Just saying.

I actually DO have a life, thank you. If that was all you did when you were 14, you had a sad life.

Don't reply to me if you don't want the responsibility of starting a flame war. I don't start flame wars.

The beauty of being an adult and you being a child is that nobody cares if you're pissed off...you're lucky to have an iPhone period. You don't have "your own" upgrades, you have an account under your parents (that you can't legally get because you're a child), and THEY have upgrades that CAN be used on you, or them...or never if they choose to. You're not obligated anything because you saved your tooth fairy money to buy an iPhone for an upgraded price you would have never received had your parents not signed you up under their phone plan kiddo.

As far as a flame war...there's no war with you child, we're simply telling you how it is. Again, if you don't like it, that's ok...makes absolutely no difference and obligates you to nothing.

P.S. - At 14, i worked part time with my dad on his mustang dirt track car and in the summers doing lawn work so i could get a car when i was 16...i also enjoyed super nintendo way too much and played JV baseball, basketball and football. I didn't have much time to come online and try to convince adults that i was some how entitled to the luxuries they enjoyed and sometimes provided to me...you know, because i had a pretty good grasp on reality. You'll get it someday sport.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I feel that if a parent is willing to buy their child a cell phone and let the child use it as they please (of course monitor who they are talking to) then it would be mean to use the child's upgrade for their own.
I disagree. That is my account and not my child's. He or she just happens to have a phone on it that i bought. They are not paying the monthly bill and if i want to use that particular line for an upgrade then i will.
I mean if the child is bratty and feels like he/she is obligated to it no matter what that is wrong.
My kids know that having a phone is a privilege that can be taken away.
But let's say the child has a piece of crap phone and they have their hopes up for a new phone only to be told that they can't because their parents are using the upgrade for the iPhone 5 when the parent already has a 4s that in my eyes is mean.

Huuuge props to blink.
I don't know why they would be getting excited about getting -- let's say -- an iPhone 5 when all they ever do is text, play games and in regard to my daughter, take a million photos of herself. Again, having it is a privilege and not a right or an entitlement. Anyway, my daughter has an iPhone 4 that she has had for almost 2 years. The upgrade on that particular account is available at the beginning of December. She has hinted that she would like a newer model. She didn't demand it or act entitled and she has kept her grades up, etcetera so I, more than likely, will get her an iPhone 5 for Christmas. My middle son, whose phone's battery is always drained, who lays his phone down and can't remember where and have already lost a couple wants an iPhone. I can all but say that it's NOT GONNA HAPPEN unless my wife buys it. Period!

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
...(snipped)...unfortunately alot of parents these days want too much to be "friends" with their kids & give them everything, turning them into spoiled brats & feeling like they (the kids) are owed something.

...(snipped)...
Count my wife in that category. She has no problem telling me to punish them because she doesn't want them to be mad at her. What the heck! Yet, she has no problem throwing me to the wolves....lol...;)....Anyway, you are so right in your assessment, Pink. :D

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

Huuuge props to blink.

Um... I pay the bills. I buy the upgrades. They're lucky to get my hand-me-downs... #realworldsolutions

---------- Post Merged at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:34 PM ----------

Just what we need... a juvenile with an attitude. #nothanks

Glass of OJ

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
If a parent told a child they were going to get to use the upgrade on a new iPhone then yes, that would be unfair...but if there's an upgrade on an account that the child doesn't pay for personally, the parents have first dibs at ALL of it, regardless of what phone they are upgrading from.

I agree 10000%

iSmileyFace

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
The beauty of being an adult and you being a child is that nobody cares if you're pissed off...you're lucky to have an iPhone period. You don't have "your own" upgrades, you have an account under your parents (that you can't legally get because you're a child), and THEY have upgrades that CAN be used on you, or them...or never if they choose to. You're not obligated anything because you saved your tooth fairy money to buy an iPhone for an upgraded price you would have never received had your parents not signed you up under their phone plan kiddo.

As far as a flame war...there's no war with you child, we're simply telling you how it is. Again, if you don't like it, that's ok...makes absolutely no difference and obligates you to nothing.

P.S. - At 14, i worked part time with my dad on his mustang dirt track car and in the summers doing lawn work so i could get a car when i was 16...i also enjoyed super nintendo way too much and played JV baseball, basketball and football. I didn't have much time to come online and try to convince adults that i was some how entitled to the luxuries they enjoyed and sometimes provided to me...you know, because i had a pretty good grasp on reality. You'll get it someday sport.

Lol, kk. You win. I'm a spoiled brat and so is the rest of my generation. I don't need you to tell me that

Just what we need... a juvenile with an attitude. #nothanks

I'm not amused. inb4 "nobody cares"

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Lol, kk. You win. I'm a spoiled beat and so is the rest of my generation. I don't need you to tell me that

I'm not amused. inb4 "nobody cares"

If I find out that any of my kids respond or have ever responded in the manner in which you are responding to other grown ups / parents, I will slap the color off their body, and I mean that with every fiber of my being. I'm one of those parents that demand respect from a child whether mine or not and the parents of my kids' friends all know it. Don't get me wrong. I'm a fan of being able to voice one's opinion, but if you're a kid, you had better find a more respectful way of voicing that opinion. More importantly, you need to learn when to keep your opinions & comments to yourself, especially when conversing with adults.

iSmileyFace

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
If I find out that any of my kids respond or have ever responded in the manner in which you are responding to other grown ups / parents, I will slap the color off their body, and I mean that with every fiber of my being. I'm one of those parents that demand respect from a child whether mine or not and the parents of my kids' friends all know it. Don't get me wrong. I'm a fan of being able to voice one's opinion, but if you're a kid, you had better find a more respectful way of voicing that opinion. More importantly, you need to learn when to keep your opinions & comments to yourself, especially when conversing with adults.

Oooooh. I'm so scared. You gonna slap the color off poor little innocent me? Try it. You'll get arrested for child abuse. Quite frankly, I don't care about your opinion, or what your opinion is on my opinion (opinception). But kk, I'll take your advice into consideration.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Oooooh. I'm so scared. You gonna slap the color off poor little innocent me?

No, that is not what I said. Anyway, you're not respectable enough or smart enough to take some sound advice so I will gracefully take the high road. Take care and have a safe and pleasant evening & weekend.

salscott

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
No, that is not what I said. Anyway, you're not respectable enough or smart enough to take some sound advice so I will gracefully take the high road. Take care and have a safe and pleasant evening & weekend.

Just me'd is a solid old school dad. Just the type that I approve of for my kids to hang with his kids. With my hand me down iphone of course. 😀

Chex313

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I guess I rank pretty high on the Dad list I got the i5 for my daughter. She has achieved far above what I could have ever asked of her...4.6GPA carrying only AP and Honors classes. Still finding time for Jazz Band, Chorus, Orchestra. Plus she takes out the trash! ;) When I told her I was ordering her one( I wanted to check out the LTE), she asked if it could wait till Xmas, that her i4 was fine and she didn't want here mother to be mad at her...

Just hand over the Trophy!

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I guess I rank pretty high on the Dad list I got the i5 for my daughter. She has achieved far above what I could have ever asked of her...4.6GPA carrying only AP and Honors classes. Still finding time for Jazz Band, Chorus, Orchestra. Plus she takes out the trash! ;) When I told her I was ordering her one( I wanted to check out the LTE), she asked if it could wait till Xmas, that her i4 was fine and she didn't want here mother to be mad at her...

you and yours have done an outstanding job raising your daughter to this point. I tip my hat to you...;)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Lol, kk. You win. I'm a spoiled brat and so is the rest of my generation. I don't need you to tell me that

I never called you a spoiled brat...i just think you're a typical clueless teenie bopper, but the beauty of that is, you'll grow out of it (hopefully...your continued use of "kk" is steering you away from that right now). Entitlement, thankfully, is one of the first things you learn to eliminate in the real world, when you find yourself in a situation that your teenager brain tells you is "unfair", something that really pisses you off...and you realize that this entitlement thing you dreamt up as a child was ridiculous, and that no one believes in it but you.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Oooooh. I'm so scared. You gonna slap the color off poor little innocent me? Try it. You'll get arrested for child abuse. Quite frankly, I don't care about your opinion, or what your opinion is on my opinion (opinception). But kk, I'll take your advice into consideration.

And that's the problem with kids today. No respect... and when someone calls them on it, they mouth off with some "sue your @$$" crap. When I was a kid, if I got in trouble at school, I got it worse when I got home. Today, when a kid acts out and gets in trouble at school, he goes home tells his parents who lawyer up and head to the principal's office. Lack of accountability its what it is.

---------- Post Merged at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:04 PM ----------

Huge difference between a child being rewarded for working hard and one demanding his entitlement. Good job, Chex!