Setting up iPhone 5 - As New or from (jailbroken) iTunes Backup?

gilbyrocks

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
I've always struggled with this when setting up a new iphone. I usually have my previous model jailbroken, as is the case with my iPhone 4 now.

Now, I'm always concerned about setting up the new generation iPhone from a backup due to jailbroken fragments that may be associated with the backup and how that might affect the new phone. Should I have those concerns?

If I choose new phone, I'll have to manually sync music, photos, apps, mail settings, etc. and can get contacts and cals from the cloud. Just tedious/time consuming.

Which is the best option? How do you set yours up?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I would not risk transferring things from a previous device onto a new device. For me, the choice is easy. Set up your NEW device as, well, new!

v1nn1e

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Much against the advice of others, I'm still going to restore my iPhone 5 from my jailbroken iPhone 4 backup.

jonmark

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I had a jailbroken iPhone 4, and synced my new iPhone 5 from backup from that iPhone 4 - synced everything within a couple mins (apps, photos, settings, contacts, etc) and I experienced absolutely no problems. Saved me a lot of work.

gilbyrocks

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
I always forget how I did it for the previous generation. I'm still weighing the options! This time, whatever I'll choose I'll make a note for the next gen..