iPhone 5 purchase advice

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I'll be the first to admit that I don't find the iPhone 5 to be awesome. It's nice, but that's the extent of it. I am considering one though. Currently I am with American Telephone and Telegraph and my company only pays the data portion of my monthly bill. I am eligible for an early upgrade, but not the full upgrade price as in the years past. I use a 64 gig model 4S. If I go to Verizon, my termination fee is $215 as of now, but my company pays my monthly bill 100%. Over the course of about two months, this will have paid for itself from the monthly savings of me not paying anymore. They also cover 75 bucks of the initial cost of the phone, which isn't much. I figure I can sell my 4S and re-coup the cost of the new phone.

My thing is, how important is simultaneous voice and data to me? I don't heavily rely on it, but it's nice to have from time to time. What about unlocking? Big Red doesn't unlock a phone the way a GSM provider does. To me that lowers the resale value of the phone as I can't unlock it and sell it to someone to use at T-Mobile or outside the US. Forget about taking it to Sprint. I will also lose use my ability to upgrade early, although I could pay full price for the iPhone 5s to mitigate that. My current provider is no longer allowing full upgrades at the moment, but their early upgrade policy is a bit looser than Verizon, which I believe is at 20 months. I'll also lose my (limited) unlimited plan, but I don't use 10 gigs a month either. I was looking at 6 gig plans on Big Red.

I won't be upgrading until mid-October at the earliest because I will be in Peru on vacation and my 4s is unlocked, but what are your thoughts?

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
No simultaneous voice - data, no chance to unlock and drop in resale value would be a deal breaker to me.. I wouldn't do it

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
you can still get the phone unlocked. the verizon 4s was able to be unlocked and used internationally just as the 5 is.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2