Refresh My Memory, Replacing A iPhone 4 with an iPhone 5

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Well, assuming all the rumors are true, I will be taking the plunge. I do have some questions as it has been a while since I set up a new phone. I have an iPhone 4. I need to use an upgrade from another phone number on my account (Verizon). So, here we go in no particular order:

1. I assume when I order, I will use the other lines upgrade however when I activate the new phone, I will activate it under the number I want? How do I do that again? I forgot. I guess when I do that it will deactivate my current phone/phone number as the new one will be activated under that number?

2. I assume I will take my current iPhone, do a complete back up in iTunes, then plug in my new iPhone 5 and activate that somehow and restore from the old back-up of the iPhone 4? That make sense?

3. Will I lose texts and all that when I do step 2 above?

4. For the phone I have now, I want to give to my son on his number. How do I do this via Verizon/get it activated? I would also assume I would when going through the process do a restore to factory settings or whatever on it? How do I get his contacts on it from his old phone?

5. I have one desktop that I use, it has iTunes on it, and I currently manage mine and my wifes iPhone from my account. I forgot how will I have to sign in or whatever when I want to activate my old iphone for my son? What ID do I use, etc?

6. Is there a cost to switch my sons number to my old iPhone?

That covers it. I am sure I am over complicating it but have not had to activate a phone in a while. I appreciate the help.

Also, what is the order to do all of this in?

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Well, assuming all the rumors are true, I will be taking the plunge. I do have some questions as it has been a while since I set up a new phone. I have an iPhone 4. I need to use an upgrade from another phone number on my account (Verizon). So, here we go in no particular order:

1. I assume when I order, I will use the other lines upgrade however when I activate the new phone, I will activate it under the number I want? How do I do that again? I forgot. I guess when I do that it will deactivate my current phone/phone number as the new one will be activated under that number?

2. I assume I will take my current iPhone, do a complete back up in iTunes, then plug in my new iPhone 5 and activate that somehow and restore from the old back-up of the iPhone 4? That make sense?

3. Will I lose texts and all that when I do step 2 above?

4. For the phone I have now, I want to give to my son on his number. How do I do this via Verizon/get it activated? I would also assume I would when going through the process do a restore to factory settings or whatever on it? How do I get his contacts on it from his old phone?

5. I have one desktop that I use, it has iTunes on it, and I currently manage mine and my wifes iPhone from my account. I forgot how will I have to sign in or whatever when I want to activate my old iphone for my son? What ID do I use, etc?

6. Is there a cost to switch my sons number to my old iPhone?

That covers it. I am sure I am over complicating it but have not had to activate a phone in a while. I appreciate the help.

Also, what is the order to do all of this in?

For what you are trying to do, the process is rather simple. You actually can do all of those things through the website. If you go into your account on the Verizon website, you can switch the available upgrade to another line. Then you will be prompted to upgrade to another phone for the line you switched it to. Once you have upgraded the phone, the previous phone on the account will be deactivated and free to put on another line. You can activate it on your son's line for free. As far as back up and restore. You can go into your iCloud settings on your phone and do a backup. When you buy the new iPhone, it will prompt you to activate the phone as new or backup from iCloud. You will back it up from iCloud and all of your settings, texts, and apps will come back. Lastly, if your son doesn't have his own iTunes account, then you can either have him create one or he can sign in under yours. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the answer. Let me take it point by point to make sure I get it.

1. Okay, so I get the switching the upgrade. I saw that on the website after you mentioned it, and it all seems to make sense to me. I would assume that once I activate the new phone, the old one would be deactivated and I can then activate the old phone under my sons number. It won't be deactivated upon ordering a phone I would assume.

2. I would also assume that I would back up my old phone prior to activating my new one. However, I use iTunes for this kind of stuff, so can't I just plug it into my computer, activate it, and then restore from back-up? I want to make sure I get my music and photos back which I do not believe would be able to be stored in the cloud due to size. Am I right?

3. As far as activating the phone for my son. I am a little confused there. He does have his own Apple ID. How does that relate to activating my old phone and transferring to his number? Do I sign into iTunes under his ID, plug the phone in, and do a factory restore? How does it get his number on it? I am confused on this step. Is this how it gets activated? How does it get the number?

4. How do I get the contacts from my sons phone to my old iPhone after activating? I assume I can upload them to Verizon using backup assistant, but how does it get on the iPhone? I believe there would be an app? VZ contact transfer? Just found that. I assume I only have to do this once. I bet I answered my own question!

5. When I do the order and upgrade online, will I have to chose the new plan then? That's a whole other thread about that mess they are putting us unlimited data people in! ;-)

Thanks again for bearing with me!

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the answer. Let me take it point by point to make sure I get it.

1. Okay, so I get the switching the upgrade. I saw that on the website after you mentioned it, and it all seems to make sense to me. I would assume that once I activate the new phone, the old one would be deactivated and I can then activate the old phone under my sons number. It won't be deactivated upon ordering a phone I would assume.

2. I would also assume that I would back up my old phone prior to activating my new one. However, I use iTunes for this kind of stuff, so can't I just plug it into my computer, activate it, and then restore from back-up? I want to make sure I get my music and photos back which I do not believe would be able to be stored in the cloud due to size. Am I right?

3. As far as activating the phone for my son. I am a little confused there. He does have his own Apple ID. How does that relate to activating my old phone and transferring to his number? Do I sign into iTunes under his ID, plug the phone in, and do a factory restore? How does it get his number on it? I am confused on this step. Is this how it gets activated? How does it get the number?

4. How do I get the contacts from my sons phone to my old iPhone after activating? I assume I can upload them to Verizon using backup assistant, but how does it get on the iPhone? I believe there would be an app? VZ contact transfer? Just found that. I assume I only have to do this once. I bet I answered my own question!

5. When I do the order and upgrade online, will I have to chose the new plan then? That's a whole other thread about that mess they are putting us unlimited data people in! ;-)

Thanks again for bearing with me!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Looks like you got it. Just to clarify, you have to activate the iPhone through Verizon onto your sons number before you can do the restore. You definitely can restore through iTunes on your computer if you like or through iCloud. As far as the numbers from your sons old phone, you can back them up through backup assistant and then download the app for the iPhone and restore them.

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I do appreciate it so much.

1. Switch upgrade to my phone, order iPhone 5.
2. When I get new phone, plug into my computer, log in under my apple ID, activate, restore from back-up.
3. For my son, I did use back-up assistant so he is all set on that. I guess my question, is now that my new iPhone 5 is activated, my old iPhone 4 is deactivated, now how do I activate for him? Sign in under his apple ID in iTunes and do a factory restore?

You said, "Just to clarify, you have to activate the iPhone through Verizon onto your sons number before you can do the restore." What phone do you speak of?

I am not trying to be thick, but obviously I am. Sorry.

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Okay, I do appreciate it so much.

1. Switch upgrade to my phone, order iPhone 5.
2. When I get new phone, plug into my computer, log in under my apple ID, activate, restore from back-up.
3. For my son, I did use back-up assistant so he is all set on that. I guess my question, is now that my new iPhone 5 is activated, my old iPhone 4 is deactivated, now how do I activate for him? Sign in under his apple ID in iTunes and do a factory restore?

You said, "Just to clarify, you have to activate the iPhone through Verizon onto your sons number before you can do the restore." What phone do you speak of?

I am not trying to be thick, but obviously I am. Sorry.

No problem, I am glad to help. Once you get your new iPhone 5, your old one will automatically be deactivated. Take the old iPhone and activate it under your son's line through the Verizon website. Technically, you can do the phone restore before or after you activate the phone on your son's line. If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask. It isn't a bother.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! Crystal clear now. Does it matter (I don't think it does because when I activate it will ask for his apple Id from what I recall) when I plug his phone in to do a factory restore what Id I have iTunes signed in under? I would think not but want to be safe. Thanks!

DaPhoneking

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Instead of the website you can do *228 and activate it that way. It would ask you for the phone number

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I know to register it under his account before I do a factory restore and all that. I guess when I do it, I will find out! ;-) I don't think that I do that for my wife, meaning, when I plug into iTunes, it is signed in under my name however when it was activated it was activated under her iTunes account (done at store) Worst case is I have to to a factory restore and sign in under a different name lol.

Thanks again for all of the help.

Dec 18, 2005
Visit site
I'm going to be upgrading from an iPhone 4 to the iPhone 5 on AT&T.

When I get it in the mail, can I log in to iCloud and do the restore on to the iPhone 5 or will I first need to hook it up to iTunes on my computer?

Thanks.

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm going to be upgrading from an iPhone 4 to the iPhone 5 on AT&T.

When I get it in the mail, can I log in to iCloud and do the restore on to the iPhone 5 or will I first need to hook it up to iTunes on my computer?

Thanks.

You won't need to connect it to a computer at all. When you turn the phone on, one of the prompts will ask you if you would like to activate as new or restore from iCloud. Choose iCloud and it will restore everything from your last backup to iCloud. I don't even use a computer that has iTunes on it.

Dec 18, 2005
Visit site
You won't need to connect it to a computer at all. When you turn the phone on, one of the prompts will ask you if you would like to activate as new or restore from iCloud. Choose iCloud and it will restore everything from your last backup to iCloud. I don't even use a computer that has iTunes on it.

Sounds very easy, thanks!

Definitely going to get it mailed to my work then instead of picking it up from the store. Hopefully it'll arrive a day or two early too :D

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Okay, close to the day when I get my new 5. As I read this thread over again, I have a question.Once my new 5 is activated by VZ, I want to restore settings, music, etc. from the back-up I have for my current 4. Here is where I am confused, how do I do that? I would assume the minute I plug the 5 into my PC, it will create a new back-up for that phone, so how am I going to restore it from the 4 back-up I have?

Same for my son, he is getting my old 4. Once I activate it with VZ, how do I plug his in and do a factory reset? Won't it somehow try to sync the minute I plug it in? Now I am confusing myself.

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Actually, the complete opposite. As soon as you plug the new phone into iTunes, it should prompt you to restore from your latest backup (so make one first) or set up as new. So no worries there.
you can also restore from iCloud as pointed out earlier in the thread.

Then once your stuff is transferred, plug is I , if it syncs, cancel it (hit the x up in the bar next to syncing) and select restore. Does he have his own computer? It would be easier to restore from his if he does.

Last edited:

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Okay, activate with Verizon, plug my new iPhone 5 in, restore from backup. Correct?

Next, activate (switch number or whatever you call it) the iPhone 4, plug it in, if it syncs hit X and do a restore to factory settings. Correct?

He does have his own computer however all the iTunes files, etc are on the desktop. Actually, they are all on my NAS unit but it is impossible to manage 4 iTunes accounts on 4 computers all accessing one NAS. Topic for a different day.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77