The iPhone 4s and what the change means for me.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
I have been using the iPhone 4s for about four months since switching from BlackBerry, then Android. I have tested every platform known to man. I have used almost all BlackBerry devices and a few Android devices. All posed issues to my daily life. Either it was device management, battery life, or just simple tasks. I was ready for the change. Never thought the day would come I would move to a Apple device. I have supported them in tech support at work and tested them over the years are carrier stores, but never pushed my self to be open minded to iOS and it?s core operation.

After my last Android device which was good in sense of operation. Everyday usage was not up to par with me and I was using it very little on some days. Now the fact that screen size and 4G do come into play. But why chop a mobile device capabilities in half to fully use it on a daily basis?. An option I did not want to continue to be involved in?. So I bailed.

The day of activation went with out a hitch, as I already knew what I was getting into and pre- planned the whole iCloud process. one word - Simple. It was a great feeling to have a clean slate and hoping for no issues to arise. Things just work. Applications just work. As of writing this post, my device uptime is 29 days which out any OS lag or reboots.

Now, not one device that works for one, may not work well for another. which is why I love what else is out there. Keep engineers thinking and making improvements to what is already out there, and make it better. But some things need to change in some device before I even have a itch in switching to something else.

I have been able to do everything I wanted to do before on a mobile device and more. My time is money, work or personal. I need to be able to accomplish a task with in minutes of picking up my phone. Now I can actually enjoy pictures of my daughter growing up with the awesome camera and display and conduct emergency service business with countless fool proof applications, which is pertinent for my other lines of work.

I am excited to what is down the pipe in the near future

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Congratulations on making the switch to iOS and thank you for posting. Have a safe & pleasant day...:)

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
John, its so nice to hear someone coming from bb os, to android os to iOS have a pleasant and positive experience. As well as respect for the other platforms you've once used, & realized that they no longer do the job you need for your daily activities/needs, without bashing any of them. I'm one of the bb (4+yrs) turned iOS users that has enjoyed my 4S as well, this Nov. will be a year:) and i've never looked back. I can also say that i'm more productive with my 4S than i ever was with any of my bb's because of certain apps not avail on bb that i utilize now on iOS.

Some people don't do the research needed to make a platform transition and then wind up unhappy in the end, glad to hear your happy, and that the transition to iOS for you was pleasant :)

Relletti

Trusted Member
Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Glad your transition to iOS was great John! Like many on this forum i also was a blackberry user. After having issues with my 9850 lagging and freezing I got fed up and wanted to try something new. I bought my 4s in April and have had the best experience I ever had with a phone. I know all phones have some issues, but my experience so far with this phone has been great. I can definitely see me sticking with iOS in the future.

Sent from my 4s using Tapatalk

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Exactly.... Someone using only one device and talking another one down. And they have never tried the other platforms I take with a grain of salt. I have been there and done that... I use what works for me.

Though some will voice pro's and con's for any mobile platform. There is not perfect device that will suite anyone right now. Way to many options and features some like and most use on a daily basis.

But I can honestly voice my true opinion on what is best for ME and me only right now. Yes other devices and platforms will evolve months down the road, but that does not mean I need to support one or the other.

I embrace all mobile platforms as a whole. . I love the competition between the main players right now in the game. And that will keep them making things better, not worse.

Glad to be here among friends, that are also open minded to all things mobile

Last edited:

Bengalfan1

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Well said John. I also have been a longtime BB and Android user and switched to the 4S last year. I really like it because it always works when I turn it on. No more battery pulls and hard resets on the 4S.

Fit24

Trusted Member
Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your thoughts John. I switched from BB to iOS and enjoy my personal improvement in productivity. I encourage everyone to choose the device and or OS that best fits their needs and enJOY it.

revtech

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
Pink . . I currently use a flip-phone but am beginning to test the smartphone waters. I own a xoom tablet (android) and recently picked up a used bb9650 to try that out. As a technically competent person I gravitated toward android and bb because I had read so many places that iOS is too "simplistic". However, after playing with the other two for a while I feel like I am finding the tinkering game overrated and think I would rather prefer something that "just works" for texting, checking/replying email, and of course phone calling (my main uses). So I am looking for what you might have to say to nudge me toward trying a 4s or 5 - I am more than a little curious but don't really want to drop the extra $$$ just to experiment (I could get the others fairly cheap but its hard to find an inexpensive iphone). Am especially interested in your take as to why you "never looked back" and your rec between 4s and 5 - I really really love the look of the 5 but am hearing so many complaints online. Thanks, your posts lead me to think you are an experienced and reasonable person to ask =)

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I have been using the iPhone 4s for about four months since switching from BlackBerry, then Android. I have tested every platform known to man. I have used almost all BlackBerry devices and a few Android devices. All posed issues to my daily life. Either it was device management, battery life, or just simple tasks. I was ready for the change. Never thought the day would come I would move to a Apple device. I have supported them in tech support at work and tested them over the years are carrier stores, but never pushed my self to be open minded to iOS and it’s core operation.

After my last Android device which was good in sense of operation. Everyday usage was not up to par with me and I was using it very little on some days. Now the fact that screen size and 4G do come into play. But why chop a mobile device capabilities in half to fully use it on a daily basis…. An option I did not want to continue to be involved in…. So I bailed.

The day of activation went with out a hitch, as I already knew what I was getting into and pre- planned the whole iCloud process. one word - Simple. It was a great feeling to have a clean slate and hoping for no issues to arise. Things just work. Applications just work. As of writing this post, my device uptime is 29 days which out any OS lag or reboots.

Now, not one device that works for one, may not work well for another. which is why I love what else is out there. Keep engineers thinking and making improvements to what is already out there, and make it better. But some things need to change in some device before I even have a itch in switching to something else.

I have been able to do everything I wanted to do before on a mobile device and more. My time is money, work or personal. I need to be able to accomplish a task with in minutes of picking up my phone. Now I can actually enjoy pictures of my daughter growing up with the awesome camera and display and conduct emergency service business with countless fool proof applications, which is pertinent for my other lines of work.

I am excited to what is down the pipe in the near future

John,
We know each other from the BlackBerry days and Beta testing for BerryWeather and I like you have goen through the same exact thing and have the same feelings on what I need to do with a phone. I have had my 16GB 4S since December and not once yet have I had any problems and the apps just plain work and the phone performs as I expected it to.

No looking back from me as it looks like I will always have an iPhone from now on. I can do so much more, enjoy a device and have productivity and pleasure all in one.

Thanks for sharing with us and not that one of the sister sites like the BB Blog was going south so to speak but with all the negativity and iMore people to me just being more open and hoest I love it here. ;)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2