iOS 5.0.1 for iPhone 4S Buggy?

|-KGB-|CaptHowdy

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
heres the step i used and it worked for me Fixing "other files" eating up iPhone 3GS storage

Now I came from the Motorola Photon, before that had the Nexus S, before that the Samsung epic. I have never been happier with a phone. I had rooted/custom recovery/flashed roms/overclocked processor and this is the first phone Ive had that i dont feel the need to do any of that. I dont even think im going to jailbreak it. My main concern is if i were to jailbreak it how would i take it back to stock(especially if the charger port goes bad). I dont want to waste my apple care 100 bucks and again i dont really feel i need to jailbreak. But i do contemplate it everyday. How many of you have had issues after jailbreaking and couldnt fix it and had to send it to apple to get replaced/fixed?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Like it is with Android, an official update will revert your iPhone back to stock. In regard to other methods, I don't yet know. The reason for my reply is that, like you, I probably flashed every custom rom there is with the exception of MIUI and I had a blast doing it. I was also very active in the XDA developers forum, however, now that I have an iPhone 4S, I don't have a desire to customize it. I'm sure that a lot is due to the fact that I know it cannot be customized to the degree of an Android device. Still, although I have contemplated jail breaking it, I don't think I will. I've experimented so much with Android devices to the point that doing so with the 4S would not be worth it. I mean, a customized device is just that, customized. Been there-done that! With Android, there was a constant flow of new customizations and I was a willing participant. Not because I had to or because I was unhappy with my device or anything like that, but because I enjoyed it and I couldn't resist the challenge. Getting the 4S is therapy for me (laughing). The freedom to customize is not as prevalent as with Android, thus eliminating my temptation to experiment and that is exactly what I need at this time in my life. Sorry for rambling on...;)

|-KGB-|CaptHowdy

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Like it is with Android, an official update will revert your iPhone back to stock. In regard to other methods, I don't yet know. The reason for my reply is that, like you, I probably flashed every custom rom there is with the exception of MIUI and I had a blast doing it. I was also very active in the XDA developers forum, however, now that I have an iPhone 4S, I don't have a desire to customize it. I'm sure that a lot is due to the fact that I know it cannot be customized to the degree of an Android device. Still, although I have contemplated jail breaking it, I don't think I will. I've experimented so much with Android devices to the point that doing so with the 4S would not be worth it. I mean, a customized device is just that, customized. Been there-done that! With Android, there was a constant flow of new customizations and I was a willing participant. Not because I had to or because I was unhappy with my device or anything like that, but because I enjoyed it and I couldn't resist the challenge. Getting the 4S is therapy for me (laughing). The freedom to customize is not as prevalent as with Android, thus eliminating my temptation to experiment and that is exactly what I need at this time in my life. Sorry for rambling on...;)

that is 100% how i feel bud. within reason i had to mod android to make it the way i wanted. No battery percent was one thing i ALWAYS hated. iPhone has it out of the box. So i guess the only reason to jailbreak for me would be free apps and apps that are not in the app store. I think you might have helped me decide not to jailbreak. Just use it as it is. I havent been this happy with a phone ever. Not that i can think of. At the time my Motorola Q was pretty badass lol.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Here is a example:

Take it off charger @ 530am
Battery is 96-100%
Put phone in my bag
Drive 1h20m to job
(never touching phone in my bag)
Arrive at job
Battery is at 82%

Since I got my new 4s (last week), I changed my email setting to push hourly.
That has changed nothing. That was the Apple store guy's idea.

Just typing this response my battery went from 81% to 78%

Restore device and recover backup from iCloud - fixed my battery issues and I deleted the google + app and it got even more better

Reactions: w00dy

doubleaa25

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
So I followed the instructions provided by CptHowdy, which seemed to work better than the guide I followed especially since it had different steps. However, I still get the iTunes Sync error for no reason, and iTunes keeps switching from the greyed out Sync button when I sync to the Revert and Apply options, even though I have not done anything! Any suggestions?

w00dy

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Restore device and recover backup from iCloud - fixed my battery issues and I deleted the google + app and it got even more better

Thank you for the advice! I think I'm going to try this technique tomorrow night. Anything is better than what I have now.

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I was at 43% yesterday and turned my phone completely off for 2 hours while attending a funeral (didn't want to take any chances...) When I turned it back on it was at 13%. Is this normal?!

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for the advice! I think I'm going to try this technique tomorrow night. Anything is better than what I have now.

When you updated to 5.0.1 did you use the OTA delta update to did you do it from iTunes... originally it was the delta update for me, and i did this and it got much better... and in talking to verwon another iMore member here, we got talking google + app issues and deleted mine and it's pretty pretty close to what my i4 was....

and you're welcome - hope it works for ya like it did me

doubleaa25

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I FOUND OUT MY PROBLEM!!! :D

For some reason, purchased DRM music was not syncing to my iPhone. The music is authorized to play on my computer, but it was still not syncing to my phone. I decided to back up via iTunes (so I can restore the backup whenever needed), and I am currently restoring my phone. I will set up my phone as new, sync everything I want, and then restore from backup to get my settings and app data back. Hopefully that will fix the issue. Will post results when finished.

EDIT: This did indeed fix my problem. Seemed like iCloud was causing the issue, because when u restore your backup from iCloud, it wants to dl all purchased items that were on ur phone through your phone. But I would sync as it was doing it, confusing the phone, making the songs unsyncable. But it is fixed now!

Last edited:

w00dy

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
When you updated to 5.0.1 did you use the OTA delta update to did you do it from iTunes... originally it was the delta update for me, and i did this and it got much better... and in talking to verwon another iMore member here, we got talking google + app issues and deleted mine and it's pretty pretty close to what my i4 was....

and you're welcome - hope it works for ya like it did me

I'm on my 2nd 4s. My first one I had since day 1 and I just took it to Apple and had it replaced. That 4s failed the battery diagnostic test as well as it had the static issue in the ear. So Apple gave me a new 4s.

This 4s came with 5.0.1 (9A405).

hoosieriphone

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I also had the same problem with static in the ear piece speaker. Apple replaced the phone. I have noticed that the battery is so much better with the replacement phone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
takectrl