How to use Photo Stream?

Infiniti7

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
so i turned my photo stream on and connected both my phone to wifi and computer to wifi and then took a picture on my phone and it didnt automatically show up on my computer. how do you make photo stream work?

Infiniti7

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
so in order to use photo stream with your computer you also have to have IOS Lion on your computer? i have 5.0.1 on my phone but i dont have the lion software on my computer so will photo stream and icloud still work or i have to upgrade my comp software as well?

edd

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
so in order to use photo stream with your computer you also have to have IOS Lion on your computer? i have 5.0.1 on my phone but i dont have the lion software on my computer so will photo stream and icloud still work or i have to upgrade my comp software as well?

No. All you need is the iCloud software downloaded from Apple's site. I use photo stream on my PC with Windows Vista.

dcscott

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
And if you're on Windows note that the iCloud control panel is only for Vista or Win 7. If you're stuck on an XP machine like I am you might as well forget Photo Stream.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
ok, i have a question in regards to PhotoStream. I know we cant delete unwanted photos off PhotoStream as of now, SO with that being said--my question is this. I understand that any new photos taken and saved to the camera roll if your on a WIFI connection they will automatically upload to PhotoStream. NOW with as many ss's i've taken that are sitting unlessly on PS, could shut off wifi(go 3G), take my ss, post it--then delete it off the camera roll, and then turn my wifi back on to avoid the ss from being uploaded to PS?

I went onto Apples support tab for PS, and if i understood correctly, then the question i just asked is doable?

TIA for someone to confirm this for me:) sorry to sound like such a noob:p i'm still getting used to this whole icloud and PS thing !!

EDIT: nm i answered my own question lol. i just tried it and worked;)

Last edited:

rich67

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
ok, i have a question in regards to PhotoStream. I know we cant delete unwanted photos off PhotoStream as of now, SO with that being said--my question is this. I understand that any new photos taken and saved to the camera roll if your on a WIFI connection they will automatically upload to PhotoStream. NOW with as many ss's i've taken that are sitting unlessly on PS, could shut off wifi(go 3G), take my ss, post it--then delete it off the camera roll, and then turn my wifi back on to avoid the ss from being uploaded to PS?

I went onto Apples support tab for PS, and if i understood correctly, then the question i just asked is doable?

TIA for someone to confirm this for me:) sorry to sound like such a noob:p i'm still getting used to this whole icloud and PS thing !!

EDIT: nm i answered my own question lol. i just tried it and worked;)
It sounds totally feasible to me. My understanding is that in order for the photo to appear on the PS in Iphoto, you have to be wirelessly connected and iphoto has to be syncing...I know I have walked in my door, fired up Iphoto and the pics weren't on there yet-then after a few minutes of wi fi connecting, it started to upload them into iphoto. So I am guessing that may work...
I clear out my Photostream once in a while by: shut off PS on my 4S>shut of PS in iphoto>delete the pictures off my phone that I don't want to have uploaded>go to icloud and reset the PS>fire everything back up to an empty PS.

StaticFX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
interesting.. my new issues is that it STOPPED working. I just tried what you said about the SS, but then watching the folder on my pc to see if it would show up.. i noticed there are no new images from the last 4 days??

rich67

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
make sure photostream is turned on both on the phone AND in Iphoto...do you have a photostream folder in the albums?

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
It sounds totally feasible to me. My understanding is that in order for the photo to appear on the PS in Iphoto, you have to be wirelessly connected and iphoto has to be syncing...I know I have walked in my door, fired up Iphoto and the pics weren't on there yet-then after a few minutes of wi fi connecting, it started to upload them into iphoto. So I am guessing that may work...
I clear out my Photostream once in a while by: shut off PS on my 4S>shut of PS in iphoto>delete the pictures off my phone that I don't want to have uploaded>go to icloud and reset the PS>fire everything back up to an empty PS.

yes, it did-it worked perfectly. in fact thats how i posted my ss earlier this morn without it uploading to PS. shut wifi off, took ss, posted it, deleted ss photo, turned wifi back on:)

As for clearing out PS, i have windows XP and i know icloud cant be loaded onto it and thats the comp i use to sync my 4S with. I also have a Win7, but i dont have all my files i would need for my 4S on it yet. (i use home sharing but i just dont feel like dealing with that right now lol) One of these days, i'll set everything onto my Win7 laptop and i can sync all from there. Thx for the suggestion though:) I will keep it in mind.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
interesting.. my new issues is that it STOPPED working. I just tried what you said about the SS, but then watching the folder on my pc to see if it would show up.. i noticed there are no new images from the last 4 days??

make sure photostream is turned on both on the phone AND in Iphoto...do you have a photostream folder in the albums?

Static, the photos on your cam roll will only upload to PS when your connected to wifi. Have you lost your wifi connection or had it off and didnt realize it? (photos will not upload from a 3G connection-now that i know that for certain)

Infiniti7

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
so i cant find photo stream on my iphoto? i have it turned on on my phone but when i go to take a pic it wont show up in my iphoto?