Transitioning from iPhone 3G to 4S

maw729

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Hello all,
I've had my 3G for almost 2 years now and it hasn't really worked at all since iOS 4 came out. I bought an iPod touch because I couldn't afford an upgrade yet. Now that I have my upgrade, I want to transfer my calendar and contacts from my iPhone but my apps from my iPod. I don't have a yahoo, google, or outlook calendar to sync to. How can I make sure all my stuff gets transferred? I don't want to sync everything and not know what I'm doing and accidentally wipe out my calendar because I (literally) live by it. How do I properly sync my information?
Any help is appreciated! Thanks! :)

zackawee27

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
First if it's available get the iOS 5 update on you're iPhone 3G and make an Apple ID, so when you're iPhone 4S gets here all you need to do is sign into you're Apple ID, otherwise you could make a backup than sync in to you're iPhone 4S.

Reactions: iPhoneEnthusiest

maw729

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
The problem with having a 3G is that after iOS 4.1, the updates were no longer available to us. So we can't upgrade to iOS 5 and iOS 4 completely crippled the device. I have a few backups of the device but I'm not sure they'll work.

diamonddialogue

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Make sure in iTunes you have "Sync Calendars" on. That will be a big one. Once you make the switch, iOS 5 will save all this information in iCloud. This is a very good thing for people who, like you, live by their calendar.

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
My suggestion is take the time to create and sync to an online account (Google, Yahoo). Get your 3G synced with that and you'll never have to worry about losing them. After you see them online then you'll be able to log in with the new phone and they will download automatically. As far as the apps go as long as you log into the same iTunes account then the app will be available to download again (you never have to pay twice). If after all that is done you decide you want to start using iCloud to store your contacts then you'll be able to and will actually have two backups of your valuable data (iCloud & Google).

maw729

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Apparently iTunes only accepts Microsoft Outlook which sucks because the Microsoft Office I bought doesn't include Outlook. I tried downloading a trial but it won't allow any of my email addresses. I'm still not sure my contacts are transferring either. And iCloud doesn't work with iPhone 3G. :mad: