4S vs 4 antenna for marginal reception?

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Can anybody yet or soon say whether or not the Verizon 4S might help an area where a Verizon 4 has a hard time completing calls?

An AT&T 4 has already been tested in same place, was not even able to make calls.

Thank you.

pilsbury

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Don't know, your area, how far you are from the tower will be a determining factor. From what I've read it will have two antenna's, one for receiving calls and one for sending. After the antenna/dropped call fiasco on the i4, you can bet they got it right this time.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Don't know, your area, how far you are from the tower will be a determining factor. From what I've read it will have two antenna's, one for receiving calls and one for sending. After the antenna/dropped call fiasco on the i4, you can bet they got it right this time.

I'm told 2 miles from tower shared with US Cellular. Basic Samsung phone on US Cellular did better in same place. The person has tried holding phone in different ways, updated roaming and programming etc..

Thank you.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
4S antenna shouldnt hurt compare to the 4. Better antenna but don't know if signal strength will improve.

Last edited:

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
FYI: At this point I've seen both 4 and 4S from Verizon in same circumstances and it appears the S is slightly better. A family member who could not count on Verizon 4 in all areas of the house is not dropping calls and says it's usually 1 bar better there. I had a 4 and 4S from Verizon at same time for 2 hours and got one more bar in areas of a building known for problems but also saw the 4 would be two bars higher when near a range extender.

boomhower1820

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
FYI: At this point I've seen both 4 and 4S from Verizon in same circumstances and it appears the S is slightly better. A family member who could not count on Verizon 4 in all areas of the house is not dropping calls and says it's usually 1 bar better there. I had a 4 and 4S from Verizon at same time for 2 hours and got one more bar in areas of a building known for problems but also saw the 4 would be two bars higher when near a range extender.

My experience has been the opposite. My wife's 4 is consistently 5dB's stronger.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

ktrent#CB

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
Same results here. Wife has 4 I have 4s (just over from android) and the S has much better signal in two low signal areas. Our basement and both of our parents houses. Our parents houses in two totally different towns have very low signal for any phone but the 4s will talk very well. Our house is in a strong signal area but no phone works well in the basement but the S works better than any phone I have tried. Not perfect but better. All is test are with Verizon.

j_benj

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I definitely notice an improvement in signal strength in my office with my 4S. Previously I would hover at 1 bar with an occasional jump to 2 on really nice, clear days. Now I'm pretty consistent at 3 bars with an occasional drop to 2. 3G data works where on my old phone (Palm Pre2) it would try to work, drop to 1x and load slowly.

Not sure if it'll be the same case for you, but I'm ecstatic with the improvement.

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
The improvement is huge!! I live in a fairly new subarb from phoenix and signal is not that great. With the iphone 4 I couldn't even be in a call for more than 5 minutes so I have to use a microcell to have full 3g service. Even with that the signal was not long range and I was constantly dropping calls because of the antennagate. Yes it did exist for iphone 4! You will never know unless you are in a bad coverage area. I couldn't live with it anymore so I trusted apple when they announced the antenna was improved on iphone 4s. I upgraded to the iphone 4s last week and the signal has improved tremendously. I can now maintain a conversation without dropping a call. I even turned off the microcell to do some testing and found out that I no longer need it because 3g at&t signal has improved at home. :D

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
The improvement is huge!! I live in a fairly new subarb from phoenix and signal is not that great. With the iphone 4 I couldn't even be in a call for more than 5 minutes so I have to use a microcell to have full 3g service. Even with that the signal was not long range and I was constantly dropping calls because of the antennagate. Yes it did exist for iphone 4! You will never know unless you are in a bad coverage area. I couldn't live with it anymore so I trusted apple when they announced the antenna was improved on iphone 4s. I upgraded to the iphone 4s last week and the signal has improved tremendously. I can now maintain a conversation without dropping a call. I even turned off the microcell to do some testing and found out that I no longer need it because 3g at&t signal has improved at home. :D

Not sure about your circumstances but I have users in spots where the Verizon 4G roll out brought new towers or better service for all. A few who had range extenders didn't realize that at first. My own home was usually 1 - 3 bars and has been 3 - 5 bars ever since the LTE roll out happened.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2