I think we will see a 800,000 to 1 million pre-order sales record. How many carriers a phone is on has a huge deal to do with that.
    10-07-2011 10:31 PM
    Wait for the other carriers to announce sales numbers. I'm pretty sure both Verizon & Sprint will also say that "this is the most successful iPhone launch weve ever had". It hasn't even been 24 hrs. yet.

Seeing how last year the i4 was only on at&t at launch that number is much higher. Also verizon sold close to that 8 months later when they finally got it.
    10-07-2011 10:33 PM
    Yeah, this launch was a huge failure.

AT&T sold 200,000 units in the first 12 hours. What did Verizon sell? At least that. Sprint: Oh, yeah, they've been waiting and jonesing for some iPhone love for a long time.

Apple? I suspect that they sold even more through their site... but assume that the AT&T figure is reasonable for each of the carrier - that's 600 K phones right there. IN TWELVE HOURS. Add Apple's sales and then all of the Canadian and world-wide carriers...

Not a failure at all. I said early on that despite the fanboys ceremonial wrist-slashing, that this phone was going to sell really well. I still believe that it's a winner.
    dwfw likes this.
    10-07-2011 10:35 PM
    Verizon is shipping the 16gb model late. Just ordered my wife one for her birthday and it will ship on the 20th.
    10-07-2011 10:54 PM
    Some folks just don't get it. Before today, Apple was still selling iPhone 3GS & iPhone 4 at the rate of 6-7 million per month. This first month of 4S availability will show them selling every single one they can make, which will probably turn out to be over 10 million. Anyone who considers that "slow sales" is just not paying attention.
    10-07-2011 11:14 PM
    Seven countries started taking per orders yesterday. The first day sales numbers will be well over 1,000,000 phones. Record high sales for any handset.
    10-07-2011 11:37 PM
    9to5Mac is now reporting that Apple has sold out of the iPhone 4S pre-order allotment.

Slow sales, indeed.

Apple sells out of iPhone 4S pre-orders, now shipping in 1-2 weeks | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence
    dwfw likes this.
    10-08-2011 01:31 AM
    9to5Mac is now reporting that Apple has sold out of the iPhone 4S pre-order allotment.

Slow sales, indeed.

Apple sells out of iPhone 4S pre-orders, now shipping in 1-2 weeks | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence
    Agreed....
    dwfw likes this.
    10-08-2011 02:47 AM
    in the uk store (unlock only), they delivery date changed from the 14th to dispatched 1-2 weeks after about 4 hours being on sale.

This is with the cost being a min of 499 for 16gb (Approx $750) with the 32 gb being 599 / $900.

Delivery dates with the operators still seems to be the 14th, however in the UK you are lucky to get any discount if your still within your contract period so most of theres will be to new customers or people out of contract.
    10-08-2011 04:02 AM
    I expected the largest amount of sales would be through Sprint since it is the first time it is available on their network. As far as the other carriers I think at&t will sell through their stock because there are still people with older gens and for Verizon I'm sure it will still sell very well especially the 16gb and I could be wrong but since the 4 was just released a few months ago for them I don't think there will be as many people buying. I just think that even though there are some major changes but because they aren't visible a lot of people that would have bought even if they just purchased the 4 will hold off till ip5
    Last edited by xoxospecialk; 10-08-2011 at 08:22 AM.
    CarrieMK likes this.
    10-08-2011 04:22 AM
    I expected Sprint to have high sales but wow... To sell out that quickly is amazing! My son was so excited to find out Sprint will carry an iPhone now. I guess we're out of luck for now because I don't have an upgrade yet and couldn't afford to pay full price, but I am hoping maybe around Christmas I can get him one.
    10-08-2011 07:28 AM
    I guess people weren't as disappointed as first thought with the iPhone 4S considering the number of preorders that it has had so far on the first day.
    Adawg1203 likes this.
    10-08-2011 07:53 AM
    I expected Sprint to have high sales but wow... To sell out that quickly is amazing! My son was so excited to find out Sprint will carry an iPhone now. I guess we're out of luck for now because I don't have an upgrade yet and couldn't afford to pay full price, but I am hoping maybe around Christmas I can get him one.
    Yeah, hopefully they won't be sold out for Christmas haha, I could just imagine 100 people waiting outside of Sprint in the Winter to get an iPhone
    10-08-2011 08:07 AM
    Such a nice mom! I hope you're able to get it for him and he loves it as much as he'd hoped
    CarrieMK likes this.
    10-08-2011 08:25 AM
    I know I may sound goofy but he doesn't give me a bit of trouble and is a mother's dream. He is an honors student and is on his way to an academic scholarship. I would really like to be able to reward him with an iPhone. Lol, I may end up being one of those people standing out in the cold! But it would be so worth it to see his face when he opens it
    10-08-2011 09:12 AM
    Maybe you'll win one from here, you never know!
    CarrieMK likes this.
    10-08-2011 09:37 PM
    Found more information that Iphone4S sales are going to be record breaking and far more than the Iphone4. An online market place has reported that all online marketplaces are selling iphone4's and iphone 3gs's at levels they never even imagined. Far more than the release of the iphone4. Ebay, Craigslist, Gazelle, etc are seeing the biggest used Iphone sales in there history.
    10-09-2011 01:22 AM
    Iphone4S pre-orders closed at 500,000 units.Apple has suspended advance preorders of the iPhone 4S less than twenty-four hours after they begun, informing customers who place online orders that itll now be a post-order of sorts, with the device not shipping for one to two weeks, placing its arrival later than the October 14th retail launch date.

iPhone 4S advance preorders close at half-million sales, now 1-2 weeks – Beatweek Magazine | Tech News Daily
    10-09-2011 01:23 AM
    Sales won't be slow. I think Apple ramped up production for sure this time around. Just imagine the numbers if T-Mobile had it too.
    10-09-2011 01:33 AM
    The demand is no where near what it was for the i4.
    You are right...at this point it appears that demand is higher for the 4s than it was for the 4.
    10-09-2011 11:47 AM
    You are right...at this point it appears that demand is higher for the 4s than it was for the 4.
    well it all depends on how much stock apple actually had for preorders. It seems that once again they kept low preorder stock to try and get more in store stock come launch day. I mean it looks good selling all those preorders but if they have tiny lines like last year with the i4 on verizon well then that wouldn't look good since everyone always says you have to wait in long lines to get an iphone.
    10-09-2011 12:17 PM
    Maybe you'll win one from here, you never know!
    Miracles and good things happen! I am a glass is half full person so anything is possible!
    10-09-2011 12:29 PM
    well it all depends on how much stock apple actually had for preorders. It seems that once again they kept low preorder stock to try and get more in store stock come launch day. I mean it looks good selling all those preorders but if they have tiny lines like last year with the i4 on verizon well then that wouldn't look good since everyone always says you have to wait in long lines to get an iphone.
    Last year they had 600,000 iPhone 4 pre-orders and 1.1 million available for in-store pick-up on opening weekend for a total of 1.7 M sold that first weekend. This year estimates start at 1 million for pre-order and 2 million for the stores.

As for the lines, they're always going to be longer at Apple Stores vs Best Buy, Target or the carriers. It's a festive atmosphere with plenty of local vendors handing out free drinks and snacks. However, non-Apple stores will have correspondingly lower daily allotments of phones.

There's ~350 Apple Stores vs thousands of all the other outlets. Apple Stores will have many more iPhones available compared to some strip mall Verizon outlet. So someone could be 300th in line at a NYC Apple Store and get a 4S, while someone 30th in line at a Target might not.
    10-09-2011 12:55 PM
    Using your logic then it makes no sense to ever compare the launch of one iphone model to another. Evidently Apple simply manipulates the pre-order & in store stock for each respective launch...right?

In fact, Apple is obviously so adept at manipulating pre-order stock levels they have managed to fool all the financial analysts out there who watch Apple 24/7. Some of these analyst's sole function in life is predict/project iphone sales in the fourth quarter and to gauge Apple's current stock price and net worth. By the way, the analysts gauging Apple's net worth do not care about the launch day lines. Info on launch day lines is great for tech blogs & numerous apple forums and provides fodder for the local news stations.

At the end of the day, pre-orders and actual sales figures are what counts. We live in a time period where a greater percentage of consumer purchases occur on line. Why deal with the launch day lines and having to take time off from work when Apple and the various carriers will ship your shiny new iphone right to your door? It would not surprise me if launch day lines continue to decline in the near future.

Conspiracy theories aside, IMHO I believe Apple understands that the Android market has exploded and they need to respond accordingly. The last thing Apple wants to do is read articles about how pre-order levels were wholly inadequate to cover pre-order volume. Every individual who is unable to pre-order a 4s is a potential Android convert and potential lost customer. Obviously Apple will not be able to satisfy everyone who wants to pre-order, but they don't want articles out there proclaiming "Apple Only Had 25 4s Units Available for Pre-Order...What Were They Thinking"??

Also let's not forget the simple fact that there are more outlets in which to pre-order the 4s. Verizon and Sprint customers were able to participate in the pre-order madness.
    Last edited by traylorc; 10-09-2011 at 01:09 PM.
    10-09-2011 01:05 PM
    Using your logic then it makes no sense to ever compare the launch of one iphone model to another. Evidently Apple simply manipulates the pre-order & in store stock for each respective launch...right?

In fact, Apple is obviously so adept at manipulating pre-order stock levels they have managed to fool all the financial analysts out there who watch Apple 24/7. Some of these analyst's sole function in life is predict/project iphone sales in the fourth quarter and to gauge Apple's current stock price and net worth. By the way, the analysts gauging Apple's net worth do not care about the launch day lines. Info on launch day lines is great for tech blogs & numerous apple forums and provides fodder for the local news stations.

At the end of the day, pre-orders and actual sales figures are what counts. We live in a time period where a greater percentage of consumer purchases occur on line. Why deal with the launch day lines and having to take time off from work when Apple and the various carriers will ship your shiny new iphone right to your door? It would not surprise me if launch day lines continue to decline in the near future.

Conspiracy theories aside, IMHO I believe Apple understands that the Android market has exploded and they need to respond accordingly. The last thing Apple wants to do is read articles about how pre-order levels were wholly inadequate to cover pre-order volume. Every individual who is unable to pre-order a 4s is a potential Android convert and potential lost customer. Obviously Apple will not be able to satisfy everyone who wants to pre-order, but they don't want articles out there proclaiming "Apple Only Had 25 4s Units Available for Pre-Order...What Were They Thinking"??

Also let's not forget the simple fact that there are more outlets in which to pre-order the 4s. Verizon and Sprint customers were able to participate in the pre-order madness.
    Well look at it this way. If you order online they do not have the pesky sales people trying to sell you accessories and everything else, so essentially by having more stock in store they have a chance to make more money which is what the investors and everyone want. Also nice tangent you went off still doesn't change the fact that with shortages or supposed shortages it makes some want it just for that reason. No conspiracy theory just going off of what has happened in the past. Not to mention how does what I said have anything to do with comparing launches? I never said you shouldn't so idk where you are getting that from but don't put words in my mouth. thanks
    10-09-2011 02:25 PM
76 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD