Slow sales????

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
- This is the first simultaneous release of a new iPhone on multiple carriers...spreads the load so to speak.
- This is an update model, not a full refresh...so many people who are happy with iPhone 4 are sticking with it (like with the 3GS).
- Apple had extra time this year to produce more of these phones, where as in the past they were on stricter time crunch.

...these things amongst probably 100 others that we don't know about would most likely explain why the cap wasn't met as quickly this go 'round. That said, i've read SEVERAL stories about people getting ship to dates later than the 14th, which tells me that sales are certainly not slow.

Hell...look at Android releases, you can literally walk into an empty store on an Android phone release date and buy a phone without ever seeing another person buying one...with iPhones, i'd say sales are FAR from slow if websites are crashing left and right due to pre-orders, lol.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
- This is the first simultaneous release of a new iPhone on multiple carriers...spreads the load so to speak.
- This is an update model, not a full refresh...so many people who are happy with iPhone 4 are sticking with it (like with the 3GS).
- Apple had extra time this year to produce more of these phones, where as in the past they were on stricter time crunch.

...these things amongst probably 100 others that we don't know about would most likely explain why the cap wasn't met as quickly this go 'round. That said, i've read SEVERAL stories about people getting ship to dates later than the 14th, which tells me that sales are certainly not slow.

Hell...look at Android releases, you can literally walk into an empty store on an Android phone release date and buy a phone without ever seeing another person buying one...with iPhones, i'd say sales are FAR from slow if websites are crashing left and right due to pre-orders, lol.

except the original droid inc that android was sold out for months with shortages.

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
The demand is no where near what it was for the i4.

Incorrect.

AT&T reveals that they have seen over 200,000 preorders for the iPhone 4S in the first 12 hours of sale.

For reference, last year, Apple announced that they saw a record-breaking 600,000 iPhone 4 pre-orders in the first day across all carriers in US, France, Germany, Japan and the UK. So, 2010's 600,000 number included all of Apple's launch carriers and over the first full day of sales.

This year, AT&T alone saw over 200,000 pre-orders in half the time. Unlike last year, the new iPhone 4S is now also available on Verizon and Sprint in the U.S, which will account for many other U.S. preorders. Despite being split across three carriers, AT&T says that this is "the most successful iPhone launch we?ve ever had".
Wait for the other carriers to announce sales numbers. I'm pretty sure both Verizon & Sprint will also say that "this is the most successful iPhone launch we?ve ever had". It hasn't even been 24 hrs. yet.

The factories didn't need much retooling..if any for the case the internals are easier to swap, but even with that they must have ramped up production to be able to supply all the carriers in all the countries at launch.
Exactly right. Now you know part of the reason Apple stuck to the same form factor. They knew demand was going to be astronomical and that they'd need to be able to ramp production faster than ever before.

lennyj17

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Sales are SOOOOOOO Slow that -

Sprint just sold out of the 16gb white and black models

shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop/phone_wall.jsp?INTNAV=ATG:HE:phones

and AT&T claims to have sold 200K pre orders in the 1st 12hrs.

news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-20117529-248/at-t-200000-iphone-4s-preorders-in-12-hours/?tag=cnetRiver]AT&T:

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Copied from a link below

Apple said it sold more than 600,000 of its iPhone 4, a record for just a single day of preorders.
Read more: Apple IPhone 4 Sets Record Sales Pace -- Despite Gaffes | Fox News

Copied from another link

AT&T says that this morning's preorder session for Apple's iPhone 4S was its most successful iPhone launch yet, with the company grabbing more than 200,000 preorders in the first 12 hours the device was on sale.

"AT&T has seen extraordinary demand for iPhone 4S with more than 200,000 preorders in the first 12 hours alone, the most successful iPhone launch we've ever had," a company spokesperson said in a statement.

Read more: AT&T: 200,000 iPhone 4S preorders in 12 hours | Apple Talk - CNET News

All companies had major issues with there servers and processing. The Iphone4 preorders were a record at 600,000 units. AT&T alone sold 200,000 iphones on there website. I seriously doubt Apple,Verizon,Sprint couldn't come up with 400,000 phones with the 3 of them.

To add Sprint has 52 million customers. Can you imagine out of those 52 million customers how many want iphones.

Apple has already said they made 20 million of these things.

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I think we will see a 800,000 to 1 million pre-order sales record. How many carriers a phone is on has a huge deal to do with that.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Wait for the other carriers to announce sales numbers. I'm pretty sure both Verizon & Sprint will also say that "this is the most successful iPhone launch we?ve ever had". It hasn't even been 24 hrs. yet.

Seeing how last year the i4 was only on at&t at launch that number is much higher. Also verizon sold close to that 8 months later when they finally got it.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, this launch was a huge failure.

AT&T sold 200,000 units in the first 12 hours. What did Verizon sell? At least that. Sprint: Oh, yeah, they've been waiting and jonesing for some iPhone love for a long time.

Apple? I suspect that they sold even more through their site... but assume that the AT&T figure is reasonable for each of the carrier - that's 600 K phones right there. IN TWELVE HOURS. Add Apple's sales and then all of the Canadian and world-wide carriers...

Not a failure at all. I said early on that despite the fanboys ceremonial wrist-slashing, that this phone was going to sell really well. I still believe that it's a winner.

Reactions: dwfw

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Some folks just don't get it. Before today, Apple was still selling iPhone 3GS & iPhone 4 at the rate of 6-7 million per month. This first month of 4S availability will show them selling every single one they can make, which will probably turn out to be over 10 million. Anyone who considers that "slow sales" is just not paying attention.

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Seven countries started taking per orders yesterday. The first day sales numbers will be well over 1,000,000 phones. Record high sales for any handset.

David_LFC

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
in the uk store (unlock only), they delivery date changed from the 14th to dispatched 1-2 weeks after about 4 hours being on sale.

This is with the cost being a min of ?499 for 16gb (Approx $750) with the 32 gb being ?599 / $900.

Delivery dates with the operators still seems to be the 14th, however in the UK you are lucky to get any discount if your still within your contract period so most of theres will be to new customers or people out of contract.

xlipstickandbruisesx

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I expected the largest amount of sales would be through Sprint since it is the first time it is available on their network. As far as the other carriers I think at&t will sell through their stock because there are still people with older gens and for Verizon I'm sure it will still sell very well especially the 16gb and I could be wrong but since the 4 was just released a few months ago for them I don't think there will be as many people buying. I just think that even though there are some major changes but because they aren't visible a lot of people that would have bought even if they just purchased the 4 will hold off till ip5

Last edited:

CarrieMK

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I expected Sprint to have high sales but wow... To sell out that quickly is amazing! My son was so excited to find out Sprint will carry an iPhone now. I guess we're out of luck for now because I don't have an upgrade yet and couldn't afford to pay full price, but I am hoping maybe around Christmas I can get him one.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I guess people weren't as disappointed as first thought with the iPhone 4S considering the number of preorders that it has had so far on the first day.

zackawee27

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I expected Sprint to have high sales but wow... To sell out that quickly is amazing! My son was so excited to find out Sprint will carry an iPhone now. I guess we're out of luck for now because I don't have an upgrade yet and couldn't afford to pay full price, but I am hoping maybe around Christmas I can get him one.

Yeah, hopefully they won't be sold out for Christmas haha, I could just imagine 100 people waiting outside of Sprint in the Winter to get an iPhone :)

xlipstickandbruisesx

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site

Such a nice mom! I hope you're able to get it for him and he loves it as much as he'd hoped :)

Reactions: CarrieMK

CarrieMK

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I know I may sound goofy but he doesn't give me a bit of trouble and is a mother's dream. He is an honors student and is on his way to an academic scholarship. I would really like to be able to reward him with an iPhone. Lol, I may end up being one of those people standing out in the cold! But it would be so worth it to see his face when he opens it :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2