VZW 'Global Plan' Required for new iPhone 4S??

MannyGeee

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
So i went online to pre-order an iPhone 4S, and the automated site informed me that 'Global' iPhone is an optional feature on the device. Included in the Global phone is a SIM Card and Features (no extra phone cost), but they require a Global Plan! (note: this is the process on the VZW site, dunno if the process is different over the phone or through Apple's Online Store)

Is there any way to get around this? Is it REALLY mandatory to have a Global plan if I just want a pre-installed SIM Card? (There is a non-zero percent chance that my job will require me to travel internationally from time to time...)

Not that I am all that concerned about the Global Plan, as my company will be footing the bill for the line. But for the rest of us who may not be as fortunate, $34.99/Mo seems like a ton of money to "maybe" use a World Phone internationally, no?

The Rulah

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I would assume that logically the only reason to need a pre-installed SIM card is if you were planning on using the iPhone 4S internationally in the very near future. Otherwise, I guess it would make sense to set up the Global Plan shortly before your trip.

MannyGeee

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I would assume that logically the only reason to need a pre-installed SIM card is if you were planning on using the iPhone 4S internationally in the very near future. Otherwise, I guess it would make sense to set up the Global Plan shortly before your trip.

Agreed, but the reasoning for ordering a Global SmartPhone right out of the box would be to have the device 'ready' to use internationally. I want a SIM card installed so its something I would not need to worry about before I leave the country, or am I overthinking this?

applefanboi

May 31, 2011
Visit site
You don't need to worry about it. It should have the SIM card installed, it just won't be activated. If and when you decide to travel internationally you can call Verizon up and have it activated and add the plan.

The only think you must have is the iPhone data plan.

whispa777

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Think about it this way, it's going to come with the slot for the SIM card, this is physically in the design of the phone. Now, even if the verizon iphone doesn't come pre-installed with a SIM card already, this does not prevent you from putting one in at a later date.

Having said that, the point of the "Global Data Plan" is so that Verizon can charge you whatever they want when you use that their SIM card internationally. If you just wanted to buy a local SIM card once you're overseas and use that instead, that's where you would run into issues....

Now since this new CDMA/GSM phone is the first iPhone with this design, how it will work in real life with the CDMA carriers is still unknown as far as how they'll handle the whole "overseas SIM card" issue....

But for now, I skipped over that option in my pre-order process FYI :)

French

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
From what I've deduced the phone is not and will not be unlocked, therefore you are forced to use Verizon's SIM card and pay through the nose for global coverage. You will not be able to go to another country and buy the card there cheaper and use it in the phone. Verizon is pointing the finger squarely at Apple on this.

Conan Kudo

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
And this is an other reason I'm with AT&T

"Think Different"
~ Steve Jobs ~

That does not fix the problem of being forced to pay for international roaming. Unless you mean you actually bought an unlocked model in spite of the foolishness of buying locked models that everyone seems to want to do?

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
with all previous phones the sim comes preinstalled.. im relating this to the blackberry tour and blackberry storm both had a sim in the slot a vzw one... the android droid pro also came with one.. im assuming the iPhone will be the same

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77