Can you purchase AppleCare+ when preordering the iPhone 4S?

jaydenrobins08#AC

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I will be preordering the iPhone 4S tonight at midnight and I really want to get AppleCare+ because it is is cheaper than Asurion through Verizon. I was looking on apple.com and they said that when you buy AppleCare+ you need to buy the iPhone 4S with it.

simplylaurakb

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that the only way to get AppleCare+ is by ordering it with your iPhone 4S. Unlike regular AppleCare, where you have 90 days after purchase to add it on.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
AppleCare+ Cannot be purchased post sale!!!

I'm pretty sure that the only way to get AppleCare+ is by ordering it with your iPhone 4S. Unlike regular AppleCare, where you have 90 days after purchase to add it on.

You are correct. Here is something to note and it has not been advertised or even mentioned. You MUST order AppleCare+ at the time of ordering your iPhone 4S since the serial # of your phone is tied directly to it (I say its more of Apple doing a little CYA when so when someone doesn't and breaks their iPhone, then oh well). but you CANNOT order AppleCare+ post purchase. No going to the Apple Store, Carrier, Retailer, etc. So if you are like me and you ordered yours from say Verizon (or AT&T, or Sprint or some other carrier) and they are NOT selling AppleCare+ then you are SOL on this one.

I went to my local Apple Store and (thank you Eve at the Apple Store you were great) she spent about an hour trying to get through on launch day and she confirmed that unless you buy it at point of purchase its not an option later.

Verizon of course is still selling the original AppleCare but not the AppleCare+.

I will say, I am still on the fence about canceling my iPhone 4S and re-ordering with Apple or not at all. I feel Apple is doing a huge disservice to their customers, especially the 200,000 that pre-ordered from AT&T in the first 12 hours of launch day. How many millions and millions of iPhone customers are going to be pissed off when they can't get AppleCare+ or AppleCare at ALL?

Bad apple, bad.

Last edited:

boomhower1820

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
When I preordered my first phone I wasn't given the option to purchase AppleCare+. I changed my mind on the color I wanted so I canceled and reordered. When I reordered I was given the option and did purchase it. Earlier today Apple sent me an email stating that since I wasn't given the option to purchase it I could reply to the email and still get it. Obviously I just ignored it since I canceled the order but it's nice to know Apple is on top of issues they are having with the ordering process.

Nanci

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I didn't know you had to purchase AppleCare+ at the time of purchase, so I didn't get it. I called back today and the rep said I could cancel my order and add it on, but when I said, "Well then I won't receive my phone on the 14th" he said "It is what it is." So I'm going to skip it. I've never damaged a cell phone yet in my life anyway...

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
AppleCare is no longer offered on Apple's site, only AppleCare+ is. Verizon still has AppleCare listed on their site, it didn't come up as an accessory option at the time of ordering but if you check their site under the iPhone 4S you can see it listed.

While I know its been posted that Apple Mgt is aware of this "issue" I find it to be a poor business decision no matter what Apple does to correct it later. AppleCare+ should be available for customers to purchase online regardless especially since the iP4S hasn't even begun shipping yet. Apple isn't one to simply go oops, and IMO it was likely the carriers who didn't want it offered as it will cut into their profits.

I do hope apple does the right thing, and they likely will (we hope).

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site

Unless something changed, you should actually be able to add Apple Care any time during your first year warranty period. So you could wait 11 months if you want to.

Nanci

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Amendment to my post above. After reading another thread, I went to the Apple website and scheduled an immediate service call. They happily added Apple Care + to my order. The sales department is who I spoke to.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711