Aluminum or glass

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Aluminum, just because Apple can curve aluminum. Having the device entirely flat is nice visually, and it's nice for positioning the device, but for actually holding it and using it, a curved back is more comfortable.

I hope the new iPhone is a liquid metal design (it is RF-transparent, unlike aluminum). Although, the white front won't look quite as nice in that case.

Rusty Shackelford#IM

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I like the "premium" feel of the glass, but as mentioned above, a liquid metal back would be awesome. It would also be nice to not have to worry about the front AND the back cracking. :)

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I like the "premium" feel of the glass, but as mentioned above, a liquid metal back would be awesome. It would also be nice to not have to worry about the front AND the back cracking. :)

To be honest, I have dropped my iPhone MANY times, and of the 4 iPhone 4s that I have had this year, the back is the only part that ever took any damage. After daily use for about 6 months with no case, the back had little scratches all over it. The front was still completely flawless.

I think the glass on the back is actually weaker than the glass on the front.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
definitely glass. assuming both types end up with scratches, i think aluminum would look worse than the glass

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Platinum with diamonds... :)

But since that is not gonna happen I like the glass back.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I hate the glass back. I tried one of the metal back pieces for awhile on my iPhone 4 but didn't like it. I have "leather" sticker type thing on the back now. The glass has too many cons IMO; looks gross from finger prints, does not provide good grip, easily scratched and then looks like poop.

Give me a matte finish for science's sake. I hate shiny.

dwfw

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Glass. Nothing looks worse that the aluminum back of my iPod with all of its scratches from normal, day-to-day use.

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I vote glass and even more so now that I have the white phone. Finger prints on BOTH sides drove me a little nuts so I kept a Case Mate Barely There on my black phone the whole time. Now that I have the white one, I only use a bumper (until I got the BookBook) :)

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I would probably go with glass, but it really doesn't matter to me since I use a case with all my phones.

buci1er

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm gonna say it'll have the same type of Aluminum that's on the iPad2. Very nice and elegant look and feel of an expensive high tech device. Also, the possibility of being anodized, but not 100% on that one either.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I want it like the MBP. Whats ever that is. I love that feel and its very scratch resistant. Aluminum I guess it is.

dwfw

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I want it like the MBP. Whats ever that is. I love that feel and its very scratch resistant. Aluminum I guess it is.

Yeah, the brushed aluminum is great for now showing "wear" scratches. Until that happens, I am firmly in the glass camp.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Glass. Nothing looks worse that the aluminum back of my iPod with all of its scratches from normal, day-to-day use.

We're not talking about that kind of aluminum. We're talking about the kind that was on the first gen iPhone.

I hope it's liquid metal because then they don't need to do any antenna cutouts.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2