Is anyone considering the Samsung Galaxy SII instead?

What are you considering spending YOUR money on?

• iPhone

Votes: 105 76.1%
  • Samsung Galaxy SII or Other Android

Votes: 26 18.8%
  • Mango Phones

Votes: 7 5.1%

• Total voters

buci1er

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
The lag came when unlocking mostly. The time it takes between pictures is UNBEARABLE. Some apps were laggy(twitter off the top of my head.) Dont get me wrong, it's a nice phone, just not the phone for me.

If you find your solstice in the SGS2, great. I didn't, and I believe one week is an honest try.

BTW there's a reason the iPhone is so successful. It's not only because the OS is polished. It's because the device, OS and support system combine to offer the consumer a polished experience overall.

wunhangios

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. As a new member, I couldn't post the link on the initial response.

I do agree it is about the experience, but there does need to be enough brute power required to make that ownership experience worthy and length-y. If the benchmarks came out that the 4s was vastly underpowered compared to the other offerings, I would doubt the longevity of ownership as more and more mobile solutions pop up to take advantage of a more connected society. The fact that the 4s is doing well in these "brute force" measurements against present competition qualms that unease.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I agree with you 100%. The competition eliminates any complacency by any one company.

It'll be interesting to see what Apple announces when the time comes. I hope the excitement and allure following this story translates in Tim Cook's launch to something Apple has been known to call "Magical." The anticipation to this point can only be likened to tantric sex in the way that when the announcements come there will be a collective blowing of mass iLoads all over the place.

LMAO ... massive iLoads ... too damn funny

davjaxn

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Much like Mac VS PC, it's not only the hardware, but the OS. iOS is just such a pleasure to use. I have used Android OS and, yes, there are some great settings and features but the presentation and execution is just not for me. I, like many Apple users, am about the complete experience and Android is more about the parts as I see it.

Ice cream sandwich will likely be a great update but at the end of the day iOS wins with it's cohesion and simple, yet powerful, interface and feature set.

Crystalftw

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
...]AnandTech - iPhone 4S Preliminary Benchmarks: ~800MHz A5, Slightly Slower GPU than iPad 2, Still Very Fast[/url]

it's not always about the benchmark scores btw.... it is however always about ownership experience =)

Thank you! Off to show my husband. =)

timberga

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
The lag came when unlocking mostly. The time it takes between pictures is UNBEARABLE. Some apps were laggy(twitter off the top of my head.) Dont get me wrong, it's a nice phone, just not the phone for me.

If you find your solstice in the SGS2, great. I didn't, and I believe one week is an honest try.

BTW there's a reason the iPhone is so successful. It's not only because the OS is polished. It's because the device, OS and support system combine to offer the consumer a polished experience overall.

I just find your experience odd, since I haven't experienced anything you have said.....seems a bit odd, thats all.

- Never had lag locking/unlocking
- Don't get the "time between pictures" comment, taking pictures or in the gallery?

Not attacking you, or defending the device, just think accurate descriptions should be posted. If you prefer the UX of iOS thats a totally different statement than what you said previously.

CarrieMK

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I just find your experience odd, since I haven't experienced anything you have said.....seems a bit odd, thats all.

- Don't get the "time between pictures" comment, taking pictures or in the gallery?

Not attacking you, or defending the device, just think accurate descriptions should be posted. If you prefer the UX of iOS thats a totally different statement than what you said previously.

Although I couldn't afford it, I did try out the SGS2 in-store and all I can say is wow! It didn't seem to be laggy in the least. Beautiful large screen, quick response. Extremely nice camera, which is also very responsive and sharp.

As far as the iPhone is concerned I can only go by one that a friend of mine owns. It is very nice as well. I own an Android and have owned them in the past because quite honestly, I simply can't afford the iPhone and it appears that just about any apps you get cost you. Also, if you wait about 3 or 4 months after release you can get a very comparable Android device for $50 or less with Sprint with a full upgrade, the latest example being the NS4G. There are Android devices for every budget. Sure, some may perform better than others obviously (a $300 phone is obviously not going to perform as well as a $700 phone) but ownership overall is just more practical for those who have to count their pennies.

Now, if I can win one on behalf of my son and if I like his well enough and since you can jailbreak them, then I very well may give the iPhone 4S (or maybe IP5) a try when I get my upgrade. :D

davjaxn

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I just checked out the Galaxy SII online and it looks really nice. I held a Galaxy S for the first time at Best Buy the other day and man, did it feel cheap. Very plasticy and light. But not light in a good way. I was very surprised by how chincy it felt. Does anyone know if they changed the build quality or materials for the SII?

Still, if it is the phone of choice for someone else out there then great! The most important thing is that we are each happy with the money we spend on these things.

buci1er

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site

When you take pictures it takes too much time to shoot the first picture, then when you take that picture taking the second one takes too much time. This happens even between shots in "action mode"

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I own an Android and have owned them in the past because quite honestly, I simply can't afford the iPhone and it appears that just about any apps you get cost you. Also, if you wait about 3 or 4 months after release you can get a very comparable Android device for $50 or less with Sprint with a full upgrade, the latest example being the NS4G. There are Android devices for every budget.

There are now iPhones for every budget, starting with the 3GS for $0 with contract. BTW, that contract is by far the greatest expense in owning any smartphone (iPhone or Android): $720 over 2 yrs.

There are hundreds of thousands of free iOS apps. You can spend as much or as little as you like on apps. I'll bet that if you go through all the apps you currently have loaded on your Android phone today, you'll be able to find a free equivalent in the Apple App Store.

Finally, you need to consider the high resale value of iPhones. You can still sell a 2 yr. old (kept in good condition) iPhone 3GS on gazelle dot com today for $120. That goes a long away to offsetting the $199 needed to buy the iPhone 4S on contract. You can't do that with a 2 yr. old original Droid.

CarrieMK

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
There are now iPhones for every budget, starting with the 3GS for $0 with contract. BTW, that contract is by far the greatest expense in owning any smartphone (iPhone or Android): $720 over 2 yrs.

There are hundreds of thousands of free iOS apps. You can spend as much or as little as you like on apps. I'll bet that if you go through all the apps you currently have loaded on your Android phone today, you'll be able to find a free equivalent in the Apple App Store.

Finally, you need to consider the high resale value of iPhones. You can still sell a 2 yr. old (kept in good condition) iPhone 3GS on gazelle dot com today for $120. That goes a long away to offsetting the $199 needed to buy the iPhone 4S on contract. You can't do that with a 2 yr. old original Droid.

This will be true in the future and is something to consider. However, I am with Sprint, and this is the first time we are getting the iPhone so even with a full upgrade, at this point I still have to pay $199 for it. :)

CarrieMK

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Nope. Two words.

Samsung.

Touchwiz.

I do have to agree with you there. As far as Android skins, Sense 3.0 is the best. I happen to like my NS4G with its "bare bones" if you will. You can customize it from there...especially if you unlock the bootloader and root :D Yep, you can tell I'll be a jailbreaker!

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
This will be true in the future and is something to consider. However, I am with Sprint, and this is the first time we are getting the iPhone so even with a full upgrade, at this point I still have to pay $199 for it. :)

Ok. So let's say your choice is between the NS4G for $30 or the iPhone 4S for $199. Contract costs the same for either device. The difference is $169 over 2 yrs. How much will you be able to sell the Nexus for in Oct. 2013? Maybe $20, while the 4S will bring in $120?

The real difference is ~$70 over 2 yrs. or less than a dime per day. How much more efficient will you be with the iPhone vs the Nexus? Only you can say whether that's worth 9 pennies per day. Just something to think about. :)

P.S. Just noticed that it looks like you already have the NS4G, so this question may be moot for you. Hopefully it'll help other folks, though.

CarrieMK

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Ok. So let's say your choice is between the NS4G for $30 or the iPhone 4S for $199. Contract costs the same for either device. The difference is $169 over 2 yrs. How much will you be able to sell the Nexus for in Oct. 2013? Maybe $20, while the 4S will bring in $120?

The real difference is ~$70 over 2 yrs. or less than a dime per day. How much more efficient will you be with the iPhone vs the Nexus? Only you can say whether that's worth 9 pennies per day. Just something to think about. :)

P.S. Just noticed that it looks like you already have the NS4G, so this question may be moot for you. Hopefully it'll help other folks, though.

Yes, I do have the NS4G already and it was free from Best Buy. :)

Again, you have given me a lot to think about. The more I can learn, the more educated a decision I can make. My son already wants one and will likely have to wait until December for Christmas or Spring because we don't have an upgrade available we can use until Spring :( Was hoping to come up with the money to buy him one outright and would have gotten him one of the older models but Sprint is just now getting it so that is not an option.

Thanks again!

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2