Is anyone considering the Samsung Galaxy SII instead?

What are you considering spending YOUR money on?

• iPhone

Votes: 105 76.1%
  • Samsung Galaxy SII or Other Android

Votes: 26 18.8%
  • Mango Phones

Votes: 7 5.1%

• Total voters

bberrynewbie84

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I agree with 93% of this post and Im a android/ios guy!

For the first 6 months after the iPhone 4 was introduced, Apple couldn't make the iPhone 4 fast enough to meet demand. Probably the same thing will happen once the 5th gen iPhone hits the shelves. Don't worry about Apple letting profit pass them by. They harvest ~66% of all the profits in the cell phone industry. Seriously.

Android activations are still growing. That doesn't mean that Android sales at Verizon are still growing. In late July Verizon reported earnings for the 2nd quarter of this year. They reported 2.3 million iPhone sales. They didn't say anything about sales of Android phones or any other smartphones. Analysts speculated that they easily sold more iPhones than all other Android models combined. The iPhone killed Android sales growth at Verizon. It didn't kill Android. It stalled its growth. And that was with an 8 month old iPhone 4. We're about to find out what happens when Verizon gets a new iPhone.

Yes, the cell phone industry has always focused on unit sales numbers. That's why for most of the past 5 yrs. Nokia & RIM (Blackberry) have led in smartphone market share. Being the market share leader didn't help them. Maybe it made them feel better?

It's your prerogative to count all Android phones as a single entity. I can assure you the cell phone makers don't count sales that way. Do you really think Samsung, HTC, Motorola, etc. think they are playing on the same team? Go Android team! All for one and one for all! Bull! Although they may tout their own unit market share numbers, what they really want is profits. Samsung and HTC still make profits, but Motorola, Sony & LG did not make a profit last quarter. Android "winning" doesn't do them any good.

Does it do Google any good? 550,000 activations per day equals ~50 million per quarter. What does Google get from that? They get to pay $billions to develop and maintain Android. They get to pay $12.5 billion for Motorola in an attempt to protect themselves from patent lawsuits. They get maybe $1 billion in ad revenue from mobile devices, but most of that (they recently said 2/3rds when reporting to the Senate) comes from iOS devices. Android is a wide & deep money pit for Google.

So you Android fans are always pumped that Android is "winning" against iPhone. Who exactly is winning? Samsung & HTC now have to pay patent fees to Microsoft for using Android. And both are spending millions to pay lawyers to represent them in multiple lawsuits against Apple. Best of all, they will now have to compete directly against Google once the Motorola deal passes.

Meanwhile, Apple is banking a cool $2+ billion per month in profits from iPhone sales. Profits. Per. Month. Poor, poor Apple. They're such losers.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Pimp Lucious

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
For the first 6 months after the iPhone 4 was introduced, Apple couldn't make the iPhone 4 fast enough to meet demand. Probably the same thing will happen once the 5th gen iPhone hits the shelves. Don't worry about Apple letting profit pass them by. They harvest ~66% of all the profits in the cell phone industry. Seriously.

The fact that Apple does this every year shows that Apple puts artificial limitations on its production. Is there a shortage of cheap labor or space for new factories, or just a desire for Apple to convince its flock that the long lines and waiting means they are getting something to truly "magical" in order to justify those high margins? As a consumer I've never been one to cheer the Mr Burns style raping of the customer for the sake of the shareholder. But hey, I'm not against insane profits when a corporation can gives back to the society. Happy to see that Apple has finally figured this out since the departure of their "Dear Leader".

The post-Jobs era: Tim Cook brings philanthropy back to Apple

Android activations are still growing. That doesn't mean that Android sales at Verizon are still growing. In late July Verizon reported earnings for the 2nd quarter of this year. They reported 2.3 million iPhone sales. They didn't say anything about sales of Android phones or any other smartphones. Analysts speculated that they easily sold more iPhones than all other Android models combined. The iPhone killed Android sales growth at Verizon. It didn't kill Android. It stalled its growth. And that was with an 8 month old iPhone 4. We're about to find out what happens when Verizon gets a new iPhone.

Wait, so in the first whole quarter that the iPhone was available on Verizon after years of wait, the iPhone beat Android sales? Who would have figured that? Stalled its growth? The impact was barely even noticeable. Companies don't continue to push products that are not having a positive impact on their bottom line. Have you been to a Verizon store lately? Android central. For that matter AT&T has also figured out that it needed Android as a large portion of its stable to effectively compete. There is a reason why Verizon sided with Samsung against Apple.

Yes, the cell phone industry has always focused on unit sales numbers. That's why for most of the past 5 yrs. Nokia & RIM (Blackberry) have led in smartphone market share. Being the market share leader didn't help them. Maybe it made them feel better?

No, failure to innovate and execute didn't help them. Being the marketshare leaders had nothing to do with that except for the fact that they became complacent.

It's your prerogative to count all Android phones as a single entity. I can assure you the cell phone makers don't count sales that way. Do you really think Samsung, HTC, Motorola, etc. think they are playing on the same team? Go Android team! All for one and one for all! Bull! Although they may tout their own unit market share numbers, what they really want is profits. Samsung and HTC still make profits, but Motorola, Sony & LG did not make a profit last quarter. Android "winning" doesn't do them any good.

Does it do Google any good? 550,000 activations per day equals ~50 million per quarter. What does Google get from that? They get to pay $billions to develop and maintain Android. They get to pay $12.5 billion for Motorola in an attempt to protect themselves from patent lawsuits. They get maybe $1 billion in ad revenue from mobile devices, but most of that (they recently said 2/3rds when reporting to the Senate) comes from iOS devices. Android is a wide & deep money pit for Google.

So you Android fans are always pumped that Android is "winning" against iPhone. Who exactly is winning? Samsung & HTC now have to pay patent fees to Microsoft for using Android. And both are spending millions to pay lawyers to represent them in multiple lawsuits against Apple. Best of all, they will now have to compete directly against Google once the Motorola deal passes.

Meanwhile, Apple is banking a cool $2+ billion per month in profits from iPhone sales. Profits. Per. Month. Poor, poor Apple. They're such losers.

This has what to do with what? I'm a fan of an OS since it is the main thing I interact with, and very partial to HTC hardware and OS overlay since I've been using their phones since the T-Mobile MDA in 2005. Funny how Samsung and HTC will be competing directly with Google, yet all signs point to Samsung producing the next Google Nexus phone. You speak from baseless conjecture. Google sees the future of mobile search and advertising and decided to invest in protecting that future. No different than Apple spending a ton of money up front to purchase components for future products. Let's not forget about the profit Nokia makes from every Apple phone sold, and the cost of litigation hits both sides. even with the money HTC and Samsung pay to MS, they are still pulling in great profits off of their Android devices and giving the consumer great products. Also, the more devices Apple sales the more money Google makes, the more great free applications and services it can provide to the end user. More important than that it pledges and actually gives 1% of its annual profits to charity. Apple fans cheer company profits, but if knowing that the company you support makes more money off of you than any other corporation in existence, yet gives next to nothing back, and you are proud of this? Knock yourself out.

Steve Jobs's legacy -- A for vision, F for philanthropy - Computerworld Blogs

You seem to be a bit lost as to where you as a purchaser, user and consumer fit into all of this.

Last edited:

francolasalsa#IM

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
For me it's actually a very simple decision , New iphone 5 with 4" screen (we already know the specs) I stay. Iphone 4s i move on to Galaxy S2 on Telus which has 4.5" screen(and more less same specs as iphone 5/4s) . I have a 3Gs an ipod touch and an ipad so i won't go through apple withdrawal and that should tide me over till apple comes out with a better phone. personally I hope apple doesn't drop the ball and comes out with that teardrop iphone 5 we've been seeing all over the place because that really looks super sweet

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
For me it's actually a very simple decision , New iphone 5 with 4" screen (we already know the specs) I stay. Iphone 4s i move on to Galaxy S2 on Telus which has 4.5" screen(and more less same specs as iphone 5/4s) . I have a 3Gs an ipod touch and an ipad so i won't go through apple withdrawal and that should tide me over till apple comes out with a better phone. personally I hope apple doesn't drop the ball and comes out with that teardrop iphone 5 we've been seeing all over the place because that really looks super sweet

I think with a 4 inch screen that would get even more people to switch from other OS's. i mean many want just a little larger screen and the iphone could do that with a 4 inch screen and wouldn't be "too big" like some say with the 4.3+ inch phones

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Let me start with a quick detour. Consider this a public service announcement for any HTC owners visiting this forum:
Massive Security Vulnerability In HTC Android Devices (EVO 3D, 4G, Thunderbolt, Others).
Posted by Artem Russakovskii on androidpolice.

Back to the general topic.

I buy computing products based on my requirements and budget. I've been using a Palm Pre Plus for the past 18 months because Verizon offered it to me for $0 and included the Mobile hotspot for $0/month (with a renewed 2 yr. contract). I use that feature regularly (not frequently) to get data access when on the road with my MacBook Pro, iPod touch or iPad. In hindsight, I probably would have been happier paying $200 for the Verizon iPhone 4 and jailbreaking it for the mobile hotspot feature. C'est la vie. Live 'n learn.

I think I've repeatedly posted in this forum that I think people today have a great selection of excellent smartphones to choose from. Need a keyboard? Buy a Blackberry or a slider. Heavy into all the Google services? Buy any number of excellent Android phones. Need to have a purple phone? Buy the HTC Rhyme.

It's all good. Buy what you want from whichever company you prefer. But let's not have any illusions about any of those companies. They are out to make a profit. Before you go after Apple for corporate misbehavior, you may want to dig a little more into what Google, HTC, Motorola, Samsung, etc. are up to. I'm not going to even attempt to start on Google's unofficial "don't be evil" <cough> motto.

I'm an Apple shareholder, so I've actually "bet" money that Apple is and will continue to do well in the cell phone & tablet market. I have absolutely no problem if it makes anyone feel better to go around proclaiming "Android is winning!". It doesn't hurt my investments one bit. But don't mind me if I present some of the facts behind the implied "Apple is losing" claim.

It'll take many years for the various lawsuits to sort out. It won't take as long to see what happens with the Goog-orola deal. None of these will really impact the products consumers will see in the next year. I'm sure we'll talk about those products as they arrive.

The remainder of this year is going to be exciting: iPhone/iOS 5, Nexus Prime/ICS, Nokia/WP7.5 Mango, etc. I've already made my choice, but that doesn't mean I'm not interested in seeing or discussing what's happening with all the other devices and platforms.

Just to bring this back to the topic title. If anyone is considering the SGS2, why wouldn't you wait until at least Oct. 11th to see what Samsung & Google announce? What are the main rumored improvements people are anticipating from ICS?

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
I am now that Apple seems to have spent the last 16 months doing nothing..

iOS5 is not some ground breaking new OS either like some are making it out to be, it's just a few gimmicky add ons, and a couple things copied from Android/jailbreak and still not as good. The OS is still the same as it was in 2007.

dmoss74

May 4, 2011
Visit site
i've been waiting for it to be released on att for months. the minute it's available, i am getting it. i have an iphone, but it's my beat around work phone. my day to day phone has been the motorola atrix. i knew it was a bridge phone when getting it, and have been frustrated at the lag getting this thing to market here.

the good thing is the tv ad actually shows the att version, so i know it will "eventually" show up.

i have ios 5 on my iphone 4 16, and i'm not impressed. like a blog stated succinctly, "welcome to two years ago." i don't own a mac, or use itunes with my iphone (copy trans for music/photos).

i am not married to the apple platform. the phone is good, but the android os--and phones--suit me much better. plus, the specs on the s2 are unreal.

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
iOS5 is not some ground breaking new OS either like some are making it out to be, it's just a few gimmicky add ons, and a couple things copied from Android/jailbreak and still not as good...The OS is still the same as it was in 2007.

You're entitled to your opinion, but that last sentence is utterly ridiculous.

A number of people here keep pointing out that forum participants are not good gauges of the typical consumer. So it's fine to make critical comments about iOS5 and compare it to this or that, but you also need to step back and at least attempt to see what the average smartphone buyer will see when they walk into a store to try the next iPhone. Or what they'll see when they play with a friend's iPhone 4 after it gets the iOS 5 update.

Although I think that what we've already seen previewed of iOS5 is significant, we have seen nothing of the Siri/Assistant voice recognition capabilities. Yes, Android has had voice commands & recognition for some time, but IF the rumors are true, what Apple is about to demo is a major leap forward.

40 hours and counting.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Although I think that what we've already seen previewed of iOS5 is significant, we have seen nothing of the Siri/Assistant voice recognition capabilities. Yes, Android has had voice commands & recognition for some time, but IF the rumors are true, what Apple is about to demo is a major leap forward.

40 hours and counting.[/QUOTE]

That is the thing though most normal consumers wont really use voice commands. I mean yes you and I may but it is very similar to facetime which most people still don't use. They use the ffc to take self portraits of themselves. Not saying it wont be a good feature just most would not know the difference if it was never there in the first place.

turnerkiller

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
I had an unlocked one and hawked it IOS has just been to good to me. Two things I didn't like about it it lagged with 1gig ram?? Hmm and charging it took FOREVERRR ugh

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I would be considering it if it was coming to my carrier (Verizon).

Isn't Verizon rumored to be first in line for the Nexus Prime, possibly to be name the Droid Prime? Maybe they don't want to waste their advertising budget on two major Android launches along with the iPhone launch.

If all the rumors come true, this will be the first time Verizon launches both a new iPhone and a new Android flagship phone in the same month. It will be interesting to see how they're going to manage the lines. Will there be separate lines? One for iPhone and one for Prime?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Isn't Verizon rumored to be first in line for the Nexus Prime, possibly to be name the Droid Prime? Maybe they don't want to waste their advertising budget on two major Android launches along with the iPhone launch.

If all the rumors come true, this will be the first time Verizon launches both a new iPhone and a new Android flagship phone in the same month. It will be interesting to see how they're going to manage the lines. Will there be separate lines? One for iPhone and one for Prime?

There most likely wont be that large of lines. Verizon allows for preorders and most people go that method rather than having to deal with the clueless sales reps. Just look last year at the i4 launch they sold like over a million or some iphones just with preorders and have virtually nobody come in store.

DannyMichel

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
i wanted to add that i dont like the way it comes in different versions on different carriers. and it's not just how the phone looks between different carriers either; they actually have different specs. i think the at&t galaxy s 2 looks better