can't see device in 'my computer'

Chirp54

May 17, 2012
Visit site
HI all--this is my first post and I apologize if this has been hashed to death.

I have an iPhone 4 and the bluetooth is terrible. When paired with my Kenwood receiver in the car it cuts out continuously. My 3G however was perfect bluetooth-wise.

So my idea was to just use the old 3G as a dedicated MP3 player in the car.

However, when I connect my 3G to the PC to get song files the PC doesn't see the 3G and vise versa.

Is there something I can do to transfer songs from my PC so I can listen to them on the 3G?

Once again if this has been covered ad nauseum please just point me to a link.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Are you using iTunes? If so, your computer should detect it via the iTunes computer app. If not, make sure your cable is not damaged.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Chirp54

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Got new cable. Didn't work.

Still can't see old iPhone 3G.

I'm probably expecting too much but I'm thinking I should at least see another storage device in Windows Explorer when I plug it the iPhone to a USB port. Even if the media was somehow hidden due to piracy issues.

I just don't get it.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
When u plug it in does windows install the driver ? Does iTunes see the device .. If not then plug in the 4 to the same cable does it see that one ?

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Chirp54

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for that logical suggestion...

When I plug in the 3G I get the usual audio beep-BEEP from a USB device being added.

However, that's all I get. Nothing is added under 'My Computer' (now just Computer) in

Windows Explorer.

Now I unplug the 3G and plug in the 4 and it all works like I'd expect. The window pops up and asks me if I want to view the files and a portable device shows up in Windows Explorer.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried updating iTunes itself (or reinstalling it if it's up to date)? It sounds like you're missing a driver somewhere. What happens if you plug in the 3G on another computer running iTunes?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
If you get a beep beep it's being detected prob missing a driver plug it in and check device manager under USB hubs .. For any errors or maybe deleting the hub forcing windows to reinstall them might fix it

Chirp54

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Okay thanks again for your logical and useful suggestions.

Here's what I've done...

Upgraded iTunes
Uninstalled the "Apple Device..." under the USB section in Device Manager
Reinstalled above

Did not work--computer still does not recognize the iPhone 3G in the '(My) Computer' section of Windows7.

Tried connecting it to my laptop which is running Vista--does not see it.

It does see it in iTunes but won't let me drag and drop any songs onto it.

Could it be because there's no Sim card or whatever that little card is called? Because as I said previoulsy my newer (activated) iPhone 4 IS recognized.
If that's the case that really sucks because that means my old $400.00 iPhone is pretty much a paper weight. All I'm trying to do is use it as an MP3 player and put some songs on it so I can listen to them via Bluetooth in the car. Which brings another issue to mind... The Bluetooth on my newer iPhone 4 is totally useless--that's why I'm even spending the time (and yours) trying to do this. I would estimate that in the space of say a four minute song, the BT will cut out about 10 times--sometimes more.

Anyway thanks for all your help! If you have any more suggestions lay 'em on me. Meanwhile I may see if Apple will open up a ticket for me. I've had it for about a year and a half now--don't know how that works warranty wise with them. I've always gotten good service from them in the past so we'll see.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Take to apple or a friend and plug it in there computer and see if it works for them it will help you determine if its your comp or the phone .. Apple will charge you to replace it as its been over one year

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrytg4