Forgot restriction password

donjt81

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I have searched high and low for this but can't seem to find a resolution.

My Device:
iPhone 4 running IOS 5.0.1. My iPhone is not JailBroken.

My problem:
I set the restriction password to try the restriction feature in iPhone. But then I forgot the password. And now I cannot seem to turn restriction off. Help!!

What I have found so far:
Solution1 - backup and restore your iPhone - This did not work because when I restored, it restored the restriction as well

Solution2 - From the last backup, find the file com.apple.springboard.plist and the restriction password will be in there. - This does not work either because apparently in IOS 5 the restriction password is not shown in com.apple.springboard.plist.

Last ditch effort would be to backup my iPhone and register it as a new iPhone, which means I loose all the information on my phone. I am hoping not to do this. There has got to be another way to get around this. Somebody must have run into this before. Please help!! :(

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
How about resetting only your settings?

Settings - General - Reset - Reset All Settings.

It's worth a try. If it doesn't work then you're more than likely going to have to reset & restore as new.

Just Me, D

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
How about resetting only your settings?

Settings - General - Reset - Reset All Settings.

It's worth a try. If it doesn't work then you're more than likely going to have to reset & restore as new.

Just Me, D

If the phone is locked he can't get into the settings. ;)

Only way is to restore to a new iPhone. Not from a backup.

donjt81

May 5, 2011
Visit site
If the phone is locked he can't get into the settings. ;)

My problem is with the "Restrictions" password. Not the "Phone Lock/Unlock" password. So I don't have any problems getting to the "Settings".

I have no idea why Apple won't allow you to reset the "Restriction" password without loosing all your data.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
My problem is with the "Restrictions" password. Not the "Phone Lock/Unlock" password. So I don't have any problems getting to the "Settings".

I have no idea why Apple won't allow you to reset the "Restriction" password without loosing all your data.

Then what would the point of the password be if a kid could then just reset his iPhone and remove the restrictions their parents put in place? It's a security thing.

Restoring as new is your only option. This time write down the password on the inside of the box the iPhone came in and then put it in your closet so the next time this happens you can figure it out. Or use a PIN that you use for other things so you remember it.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com

Oh, my fault then. Read your post wrong.

phil8sg

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
There is nothing you can do except to set up as new phone and lose all your data in messages and whatsapp etc..

- - - Updated - - -

There is nothing you can do except to set up as new phone and lose all your data in messages and whatsapp etc..

Star Sky64

May 27, 2015
Visit site
I have searched high and low for this but can't seem to find a resolution.

My Device:
iPhone 4 running IOS 5.0.1. My iPhone is not JailBroken.

My problem:
I set the restriction password to try the restriction feature in iPhone. But then I forgot the password. And now I cannot seem to turn restriction off. Help!!

What I have found so far:
Solution1 - backup and restore your iPhone - This did not work because when I restored, it restored the restriction as well

Solution2 - From the last backup, find the file com.apple.springboard.plist and the restriction password will be in there. - This does not work either because apparently in IOS 5 the restriction password is not shown in com.apple.springboard.plist.

Last ditch effort would be to backup my iPhone and register it as a new iPhone, which means I loose all the information on my phone. I am hoping not to do this. There has got to be another way to get around this. Somebody must have run into this before. Please help!! :(

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxgyllsdoll