voice texting help

dcdoes

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
So I bought my wife an iPhone last night. She is upgrading from a hand me down flip phone. Now she needs a smart phone, and I figured the iPhone would be the easiest to use for her. So far, so good!

Here is the issue - my wife is severely dislexic (sp?) and needs an app that will allow her to input text to SMS and email (gmail) via voice. I tried Dragon, but it is a pain in the neck to use because you have to keep going back into Dragon each time you want to say something and then navigate through contacts for the reciever. You are unable to type (speak) a long email that way.

I need an app that seemlessly works with SMS and email for someone who is NOT tech savvy. I don't mind paying for it if it works.

Now iPhone fans, here is the rub. I can do this on my DX. I think both platforms are great. The DX works well for me, but the iPhone is perfect for my wife if I can get past this hurdle.

If I have to, I will change her to a android of some sort. Help save my wife's iPhone :) .

coltsbr

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I agree, Vlingo is the app that will do what you need it to do. You will need the paid version. I think there are two different paid versions. One that does text and the other does text and email. I think the text is $9.99 and to add the email it's another $6.99.

dcdoes

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
So what is the policy for paid apps that you do not like? Can I "return" them and get my money back within a specific window? Just curious. The truth is I spent about $270 on the phone and basic accessories, I have no problem eating $10-$20 in an additional application. If we keep the iPhone, I see a number of additional accessories and applications in the near future (of course that would apply on any phone)

Thanks for the help!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
So what is the policy for paid apps that you do not like? Can I "return" them and get my money back within a specific window? Just curious. The truth is I spent about $270 on the phone and basic accessories, I have no problem eating $10-$20 in an additional application. If we keep the iPhone, I see a number of additional accessories and applications in the near future (of course that would apply on any phone)

Thanks for the help!

Apple currently has no return policy for apps. You buy it, you keep it. I have read of isolated cases where people were able to get refunds, but it's not a published "policy", and publicly, Apple says no refunds.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
At this point, I would wait to see what voice functionality they add to iOS 5. We know it's coming. I wouldn't spend any money on a voice app right now.

Nanci

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Great, thanks for helping me spend $10! It works flawlessly for me as long as I speak clearly.

dcdoes

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
vlingo

vlingo looks like it does the same thing as dragon. You have to back out to vlingo for each sms you want to send. This becomes very tedious when texting back and forth with someone. It's a great app, but it just doesn't meet my special needs.

dcdoes

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
At this point, I would wait to see what voice functionality they add to iOS 5. We know it's coming. I wouldn't spend any money on a voice app right now.

Since we need the solution now, I may go for an Android since I am within the return time frame. Waiting for the new IOS version does not make sense since I do not know for sure that a fix is coming.

I use a DroidX but am a fan of both platforms.

Thanks for the help!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77