Update Error 3194(Host File Edited)/Backup Questions.

Th3KaNgSt3R

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Hey I have an iPhone 4 and I want to update it to 4.2.8 but when I try to, it gives me error 3194.
So I looked up the problem and it said to add that line to hosts file with admin rights, which I did but it still didn't work.

Isn't that the solution? Why isn't it working?
---------------------------------------------------------
Also if you restore your iPhone from a backup, how can you save everything on your iPhone before restoring? Like apps,photos,etc. So that when you restore from a backup, everything is like exactly the same.

Thanks in advance.

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Ugh, I had huge problems updating to 4.2.8 as well.

I dunno how to help you on the error, but if you back up the phone from iTunes and then later restore from that backup it should restore everything to the way it was... apps and notes and everything. If it doesn't, then it seems you have multiple problems :(

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
If you're trying to update in iTunes to an official 4.2.8 you want to make sure you're pointing your hosts to Apple. Have you messed with it before and/or used Tiny Umbrella. If so, open TU and look under Advanced. There, uncheck the point hosts to Cydia option. Then try again to update in iTunes, updating iTunes if necessary to the latest version.

FamilyGuy04

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
@Massie: Thanks for the tip. I have an at&t 3Gs that was running JB4.3.1 and I decided to update to 4.3.3 and I was receiving this message and your tip solved my problem.

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
@massie. Thank you!! Apple replaced my daughters 3GS last weekend because of this. LOL! The strange thing is that I updated her iOS about 2 wks ago with no problems. (it's been a few months since I j/B'd MY phone) so I don't get why it didn't give me the error code then??

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77