Untethered Jailbreak for Verizon iPhone iOS 4.2.7 out now!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmartin1972

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
help

ok hello there all. I am kind of new to all this but I currently have a verizon iphone with 4.2.6 and jailbroke using greenp0ison. I have been wanting to update to 4.2.7 to clean up everything on my phone and then re-jailbrake it. I have been waiting or this jailbrake to come out.

My question is, do i need to do anything special to do this. let me know if tis is what i need to do:
-restore through itunes to the new 4.2.7 firmware (to clean it all up)
-run sn0wbreeze 2.6.1 to jailbrake like normal

I appreciate the help. I havent done a lot of tweaking yet on the 4.2.6 jailbrake so I dont mind doing a restore to clean it all up.

I just wasnt sure if there was anything special since i used greenp0ison before?
Thanks!

iRooney

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Dont bother updating through itunes it doesn't work like greenpois0n.

Back up your phone in iTunes. Then download sn0wbreeze and the 4.2.7 ipsw file. Run sn0wbreeze and follow instructions. Restore from backup when finished to get settings back.

kasljill

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
The steps

FIRST..THANK YOU FOR THE UN-TETHERED!!! I'm so excited!

Here are the steps I followed and I had no problems getting my tethered Verizon Iphone 4 to un-tethered.
I should mention I am on Windows 7

1. Backup your iphone on iTunes. The method I use is I right click the name of my phone and click backup.
2. If you have to un-tether your phone first go to your Cydia. Click on Sources on the bottom, then edit, then add, then type in cydia.pushfix.info, press done, then tap the pushfix.info file that it shows and install it. (these instructions can be seen on your computer browser by going to Cydia.pushfix.info )
3. Go to iH8sn0w.com | Jailbreak your iPod touches and iPhones and download sn0wbreeze 2.6
4. You will have to download 4.2.7 from here iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download (this is the link provided in the sn0wbreeze program. This takes approx 15 minutes to download).
5. Run the sn0wbreeze program and follow the instructions. They are very VERY easy to follow. Whole process took approx. 10 minutes to complete.
6. Finally you'll go to iTunes and then hold down the shift key and click restore and then restore the backup of your phone.

Including download time and some running after the kids inbetween this whole thing took me about an hour. But this is my first time doing an official jailbreak. I did a tethered jailbreak for the first time a few days ago.

Thank you to everyone who has posted here this morning to help me through this :)

sydneycooper1979

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I downloaded sn0wbreeze and and downloaded the 4.2.7 ipsw files. I opened sn0breeze and went to browse for the ipsw file to put it into sn0breeze and there are no files in the ipsw only the folders. I have tried downloading several times to no avail. Any suggestions? I really want to jailbreak my iphone, but do not want to go the tethered route!!!

kasljill

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
are you sure it downloaded all the way? There is a PART file that downloads first...its like 600+ MB that it downloads. My full file is a grey box with a music note on one side and an ipod looking thing on another side.

sydneycooper1979

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Mine doesn't look like that, but it took like 17 min to download and it said that it was 100% complete. Is it supposed to automatically download more? My computer made a compressed zip file. So I have the compressed zip and have a copy where all of the files are extracted in case it doesn't recognize the compressed zip. It is full of DMG files. Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm at a loss here.

Stvy

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Did it last night and working good. Accidentally used the ipsw that you open w.snowbreeze instead of the final product in iTunes. Could not get it out of recovery mode after that. Tried a few things, only thing that got it out was iReb. First time JB'n

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
To be sure: If I'm not jailbroken at all on 4.2.7 I can just go ahead and use this untethered method
without having to use redsn0w first and then installing the patch from Cydia?

tperry

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Mine doesn't look like that, but it took like 17 min to download and it said that it was 100% complete. Is it supposed to automatically download more? My computer made a compressed zip file. So I have the compressed zip and have a copy where all of the files are extracted in case it doesn't recognize the compressed zip. It is full of DMG files. Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm at a loss here.

Open a DOS prompt, change to the directory where you downloaded the file and then (if it is the only *.zip file in that directory) do a ren *.zip *.ipsw and then you should be able to find it. Windows for some reason makes the file into a .zip extension and you (or at least I did) have to rename it.

Stvy

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
To be sure: If I'm not jailbroken at all on 4.2.7 I can just go ahead and use this untethered method
without having to use redsn0w first and then installing the patch from Cydia?
Yes. Just follow the directions in snowbreeze. Click the link on the ipsw selection screen, get 4.2.7. Pretty self explanatory it walks you through it.

JayC708

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Help!

I downloaded everything, snowbreeze installed the new firmware, put in dfu mode, did Shift Restore in itunes, loaded the new snowbreeze firmware, it tries to restore it but then i get this error message ?The iPhone ?iPhone? could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1600).? Now my iphone is stuck in DFU mode. what should i do?

Alveezy

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded everything, snowbreeze installed the new firmware, put in dfu mode, did Shift Restore in itunes, loaded the new snowbreeze firmware, it tries to restore it but then i get this error message ?The iPhone ?iPhone? could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1600).? Now my iphone is stuck in DFU mode. what should i do?

try a "hard-reset" by holding the power/sleep button and the home button at the same time for 30 secs.(or until you see the apple logo). let go of the buttons then just wait for it to boot up and try the jailbreak again. if you made the custom firmware on a virtual OS? like a virtual windows? if so, you willl run into these problems. my best bet would be is to just run redsn0w on it and install the patch from the repo that i've provided in Cydia.

the reason why i'm recommending redsn0w over sn0wbreeze, is that it's easier to use and you won't run into any problems. GSM iPhones should only use sn0wbreeze because they need to preserve their baseband to a required version to use ultrasn0w.

dmartin1972

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I finally got everything up and running. I was worried for a while. It wouldn't restore. Lol. All good now. Thanks to those who helped.

May 1, 2011
Visit site
Okay I'm man enough to admit when something is confusing me.

I jailbroke my iphone with greenpoison a while back, that's pretty much the extent of what I know about jailbreaking.

This is a while new step thats really confusing the hell out of me.

So I have to restore back to stock apple before I jailbreak right? but I have to save with tinyumbrella first? does that save all the apps I've downloaded from Cydia? I remember there was something that saves my apps I just don't know if that's it.

So to sum it up, help please. Thank you.

Alveezy

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Okay I'm man enough to admit when something is confusing me.

I jailbroke my iphone with greenpoison a while back, that's pretty much the extent of what I know about jailbreaking.

This is a while new step thats really confusing the hell out of me.

So I have to restore back to stock apple before I jailbreak right? but I have to save with tinyumbrella first? does that save all the apps I've downloaded from Cydia? I remember there was something that saves my apps I just don't know if that's it.

So to sum it up, help please. Thank you.

if you restore to a stock firmware or a custom firmware, then you're gonna get the same results. which will restore your iPhone to factory settings(kind of like when first got the phone out of the box) which means that whatever you have on it will get deleted. Tiny Umbrella doesn't save your apps but it saves a very important file called "SHSH Blobs" which is a file that'll help you downgrade back to a lower firmware(ex. iOS 4.2.6) however, you can use aptbackup or pkgbackup to save all of your jailbroken apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxgyllsdoll