IPhone 4 major slow down when "No Services" in subway

meimeifung

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi,
Does anyone know why my iphone4 experience major slow down on everything when I enter an area with "No Service"? Setting usually take 1 sec to open and it will take 10 seconds when I go under subway.
My phone is JB and I tried turning off everything (airplane mode + turn everything off) and same problem.
The problem gone by itself ONCE I went out of subway and start getting 3G signal back.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

anon4705193

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
So you're saying it's just slow opening/closing various apps? The phone could be searching for service in a No Service area and could slow down for that being its first focus rather than opening apps. When 3G is back (you're above ground again) it doesn't need to constantly be searching for service so that will not be a function slowing it down.

meimeifung

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
It is not only opening an app, the overall phone is crawling under "No Service".

It is getting obvious when I am watching rmvb above ground and everything was ok then it start cannot keep up buffering once I go underground.
I tried several rmvb player and it has same problem.

It seems the CPU is doing something else when I go underground.

Thanks

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
It is not only opening an app, the overall phone is crawling under "No Service".

It is getting obvious when I am watching rmvb above ground and everything was ok then it start cannot keep up buffering once I go underground.
I tried several rmvb player and it has same problem.

It seems the CPU is doing something else when I go underground.

Thanks

When you say it was buffering fine do you mean you were streaming it from the net?

meimeifung

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
The video I watched is offline. AVplayer seems buffering ahead (there is a bar on right side to show how much buffer left).
Once I go into tunnel, the bar turns red and video goes choppy.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
The video I watched is offline. AVplayer seems buffering ahead (there is a bar on right side to show how much buffer left).
Once I go into tunnel, the bar turns red and video goes choppy.

I've never seen an app buffer offline/locally stored content. What you are describing sounds like video streaming to me. Does it not? A bar turns red and then it stops when you leave signal area. Maybe this app buffers a large portion of the video ahead of time?

meimeifung

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I believe that app buffer a few seconds ahead so playback can be more smooth.
That app is easier to spot performance drop because it is ongoing cpu/mem/disk intensive.
Thanks

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Yes, I believe that app buffer a few seconds ahead so playback can be more smooth.
That app is easier to spot performance drop because it is ongoing cpu/mem/disk intensive.
Thanks

Well I don't know what else to say, with iPod app or VLC player when I watch a video it "buffers" for 2 seconds tops and then never again and I can drag the slider anywhere I want and the video instantly plays for the rest of the time.

What you describe sounds exactly like when I stream video from other apps. Or maybe the app is poorly written and it's codec decoding is not that great (if it's that resourse hungry). Maybe you should contact the developer.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2