What?!?!? No 4.3 for Verizon??

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
You forgot to mention the dropped calls with AT&T. When that happens it doesn't matter if you can surf faster or are multitasking you are dead in the water.

Not everyone has issues with AT&T... I almost never drop a call... excellent voice coverage and great data coverage, as well.

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Let's see here. Verizon doesn't get 4.3 like everyone else on the 11th (although they already have hotspot). They have slower data. They can't do voice/data at the same time via 3G. They suffer slightly less battery life (CDMA uses different power requirements and tuning, although nothing drastic). So much for that Verizon iPhone being awesome? I can't think of a reason since AT&T is very fast for me and very reliable.

Whoa, hater much? If AT&T is so great for you, why do you have to hate on Verizon?

You say V has slower data, but there's no evidence for that. In fact, there's a thread floating around here that has evidence to the contrary. It's all dependent on location.

No voice/data? Don't care. Those of us on Verizon are used to not having it, and I'm almost ALWAYS around Wifi that I can hop on if I need it.

Where's your evidence about the battery life? I think you're making things up.

Reason for Verizon iPhone being awesome? It's the best phone on the biggest network. I can leave my city and get signal; my AT&T friends drop all the time. There's just no comparing the networks in regards to saturation.

Reactions: shipwrestler125

GolpherZX

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Ok, what is the big deal with 4.3. A little better load time on java script? I really didn't see much that would warrant getting it right away for myself. The phone is still working great for me. If there was a significant bug yes, get it asap. Otherwise just hang for a while?????

WyckedAnkh

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Let's see here. Verizon doesn't get 4.3 like everyone else on the 11th (although they already have hotspot). They have slower data. They can't do voice/data at the same time via 3G. They suffer slightly less battery life (CDMA uses different power requirements and tuning, although nothing drastic). So much for that Verizon iPhone being awesome? I can't think of a reason since AT&T is very fast for me and very reliable.

I still don't understand why we have to bash each other's networks... The iPhone works for different people on different networks. Are we bashing people who unlock their iPhone to work on T-Mobile's network and only getting Edge? Maybe not. Anyway, we may not get 4.3 right away, that doesn't surprise me, but it's not like Apple is going to leave us dead in the water either. They will send out 4.3.x for the CDMA iPhone soon.

Iphonefour

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Agree with much of the above. Except I am unaware of the "slightly less battery life.

But throw in a few other things, such as texts over 160 characters long, including spaces, being broken into multiple texts. Conference calling shortcomings. Emoticons not showing up in texts sent to other carriers phones, and the Verizon iPhone not being "international".

Plus recent changes in the market to "free" mobile to any mobile calling, anytime, and 1,000 free rollover minutes with ATT, and it becomes even more telling.

Don't know what to tell you... VZW had the hotspot feature before AT&T....

Yep. Had it for about a month before the ATT iPhone4 will get it.

ios 4.3 brings: Apple - iOS 4.3 Software Update

So in addition to the hotspot, which was a highly touted "exclusive" feature of the Verizon iPhone during it's intro, the ATT iphone 4 will also get the AirPlay Enhancements, the new Nitro Java script, and the iTunes home sharing.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes these to make it to the Verizon iPhone, but hopefully it won't be long.

What the heck??? I'm feeling kind of jipped for choosing Verizon's iPhone over AT&T now.

If reception and reliability is the same where you live, then yes, I'd feel kind of gypped too.

Last edited:

jhnnyblze2000

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
I still don't understand why we have to bash each other's networks... The iPhone works for different people on different networks. Are we bashing people who unlock their iPhone to work on T-Mobile's network and only getting Edge? Maybe not. Anyway, we may not get 4.3 right away, that doesn't surprise me, but it's not like Apple is going to leave us dead in the water either. They will send out 4.3.x for the CDMA iPhone soon.

Yea seriously who cares what network your on. On the GSM iPhone thread you dont hear the canadian carriers bashing the AT&T network. They actually go on and try to help each other out y do AT&T and Verizon iPhone users feel the need to argue and bash each other about who's network does this and who's network does that better. I know it sounds cliche but can't we all just get along. My god its just cell phones.

Iphonefour

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

No voice/data? Don't care. Those of us on Verizon are used to not having it, and I'm almost ALWAYS around Wifi that I can hop on if I need it.

You can't miss what you never had.

However once you use it, you wonder how you ever did without it. Especially when you are in areas where free WiFi is not available.

There are no doubt currently more places where WiFi ain't free, than places where it is free. It's those places where it isn't free where this makes a difference.

Being able to check your email while you talk or comparison shop over the internet while you have a vendor on the line, or review the vendor's catalogue while you have him on the line is convenient.

If I'm on my laptop and my landline phone rings, I don't close my laptop and quit browsing the internet, or checking my email, etc. while I'm on the landline phone.

And if I'm on the web, using my iphone and a call comes through, I'd find it inconvenient to "close" my browser or email and stop what I was doing on the internet, using my iphone, until after my conversation was over.

I can talk and continue right on doing whatever I was doing on the web before I took the call, same as I would were I home using my laptop and my phone rang.

Of course, it goes without saying that much of your choice depends on if you are in areas where free WiFi connections are readily available, many of us are not, and on if your phone service is dependable. If I were getting poor phone service, I'd not stick with the carrier no matter who it was.

Last edited:

Iphonefour

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Blackbelt

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site

I have had my VZM I4 for about 2 weeks with no drop calls, faster data service than my previous lousy AT &T with battery life of over 9 hours. Most importantly great customer service.

Iphonefour

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
To all the AT&T fanboys crying "BUT I DON'T HAVE ANY SIGNAL ISSUES!!!!!!!" (And normally I wouldn't do this, but you folks DID come in here and start basking the ViP) :

While it may be true that you yourself don't have signal issues, let's ask somebody that might be more familiar with the signal issues than you, AT&T:

AT&T Admits New York City iPhone Service Sucks: Gothamist

Just one of the many reasons why I'm glad I don't live in New York City

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Its hard to say whether Vzn will see 4.3 or not. Betas are always released to developers prior and we still havent seen it. Not saying it wont happen and they may just test internally but that is just how it usually works.

greasyg2006

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
So, has there even been any 'offical' word yet from Apple or Verizon on why the Verizon iPhone is being excluded from 4.3 or why Verizon is getting it later than AT&T?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
No official word. If it happens, you will see it on the blogs here on TiPb. Only thing Apple has said is its for iPhone 4 GSM only.

jhnnyblze2000

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
Its hard to say whether Vzn will see 4.3 or not. Betas are always released to developers prior and we still havent seen it. Not saying it wont happen and they may just test internally but that is just how it usually works.

They probably won't release a beta test of it cause it's going to be the exact same as the other 4.3 release they just have to make it work with the CDMA radio instead of the GSM. The Verizon 4.3 won't ad any new features so y should they release a second beta to test the same features. It wouldn't make sense.

cellphonejedi

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

Question? Is being able to call and use data a true dealbreaker? I cant remember a time where Ive needed both at the same time. I use tons of data and messaging. AT&T users always throw this out because its the only leg they have to stand on when it comes to how awesome their phone performs.

Ive had the ip4 from VZW since it came out and have not had one issue. I tweeked a few settings and it has performed perfectly. The ability to talk and surf is a rather small feature to me. I would rather be able to use my device freely in any area with awesome coverage.

takeshi

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
What the heck??? I'm feeling kind of jipped for choosing Verizon's iPhone over AT&T now.
Entitled much? It's amazing how rampant this mindset is all over the place these days...

So much for that Verizon iPhone being awesome? I can't think of a reason since AT&T is very fast for me and very reliable.
Good for you. Try reading up on anecdotal evidence sometime. Your experience doesn't suddenly eliminate those of the countless people that do have problems with at&t (just as any one person's experience on any carrier by itself says nothing about any trends with that carrier -- or any single data point fails to define a trend).

Question? Is being able to call and use data a true dealbreaker? I cant remember a time where Ive needed both at the same time.
Like any potential dealbreaker, it's highly subjective. Just because you don't find it a dealbreaker doesn't mean that someone else won't (and vice-versa). One size doesn't fit all.

AT&T users always throw this out because its the only leg they have to stand on when it comes to how awesome their phone performs.
Granted, a lot of people do claim that it's a deal breaker just because Luke Wilson told them it was. Still, doesn't mean that it isn't a deal breaker for those that actually rely on it.

Last edited:

P0stalTek

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
who cares? I could honestly care less about photobooth and garage band or whatever else there is. Personal hotspot isn't of any interest to me and even if it were, I already have MiWi.

All 4.3 would do it cause me to wait for a jailbreak, rejailbreak, redo repos, reinstall apps, etc.

Exactly what badboy said. I have mine Jailbroken so I'm not that concerned about it.

Also to the previous poster who said "so much for the Verizon iPhone", my viP4 has unlimited data grandfathered, and since AT&T no longer offers that, I feel I got the better end of the stick by staying with Verizon.

(now if I had gotten into it when AT&T offered unlimited, this would be a totally different conversation :D )

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
To all the AT&T fanboys crying "BUT I DON'T HAVE ANY SIGNAL ISSUES!!!!!!!" (And normally I wouldn't do this, but you folks DID come in here and start basking the ViP) :

While it may be true that you yourself don't have signal issues, let's ask somebody that might be more familiar with the signal issues than you, AT&T:

AT&T Admits New York City iPhone Service Sucks: Gothamist
And again, the problem is "success of the iPhone." (If you follow this link, be sure to read the comments.)

Sorry guys, we are not the bad guys. It is not fair for AT&T to take our money and then treat us as a "problem."

The iPhone is a success; get over it. Stop explaining and complaining and invest.

(I try to get past my anger enough to give AT&T their due. On my recent annual trip to San Francisco, I was able to make and receive calls and I was, for the first time in four years, able to do data applications, nominally 3G, on my iPhone 4. I do not know whether to attribute this to AT&T or the new iPhone but it was certainly welcome. There have been one or two times in lower Manhattan where I got faster data service over AT&T than over Verizon. However, I must still carry my Verizon MiFi when I go into the city to be sure of having any service at all. I use the Mifi by default for both voice over IP and other data applications.)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77