who switched from Android to iOS and why??

eye4ni

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I may be eating my words here.... after reading the *rumors* about the Thunderbolt having abysmal battery life, I am starting to wonder if I should return the iphone or just stick with it. I knew the Thunderbolt would not have as good of battery life as the iphone, but I am not really looking forward to a giant extended battery on the phone to make it functional. The iphone performs quite well as far as battery life is concerned.... maybe I will wait until the next breakthrough in battery technology before I go back to Android.

I will just be praying that apple does something with notifications in iOS 5. But then I wonder.... notifications have been horrible since the original iphone, why would I expect them to change in iOS 5??? Why wasn't this issue addressed a long time ago?

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
Competition. Apple never had any real competition. With Android, they do. And I fully expect some major notification changes. That's why they hired that guy from Palm :)

tourstagefan

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I may be eating my words here.... after reading the *rumors* about the Thunderbolt having abysmal battery life, I am starting to wonder if I should return the iphone or just stick with it. I knew the Thunderbolt would not have as good of battery life as the iphone, but I am not really looking forward to a giant extended battery on the phone to make it functional. The iphone performs quite well as far as battery life is concerned.... maybe I will wait until the next breakthrough in battery technology before I go back to Android.

I will just be praying that apple does something with notifications in iOS 5. But then I wonder.... notifications have been horrible since the original iphone, why would I expect them to change in iOS 5??? Why wasn't this issue addressed a long time ago?

I switched from a Droid Incredible, which I loved.

Why not jailbreak the phone? I did it on Day One and was able to customize the phone to my liking. Use iRealSMS or BiteSMS for text notifications and Lockinfo for e-mail/voicemail/text msgs/missed phone call/realtime weather info. from your lockscreen. If you like/miss haptic feedback on the keyboard, download HapticPro (jailbreak app).

Reactions: eye4ni

jayhawkfan18

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I also switched from an Incredible and so far I'm loving the iPhone. I have never owned an Apple product really so I wasn't sure what to expect. I really liked my Android device but was getting bored with it and ready for a change. I have always had iPhone envy so I had to see what it was all about!

eye4ni

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I switched from a Droid Incredible, which I loved.

Why not jailbreak the phone? I did it on Day One and was able to customize the phone to my liking. Use iRealSMS or BiteSMS for text notifications and Lockinfo for e-mail/voicemail/text msgs/missed phone call/realtime weather info. from your lockscreen. If you like/miss haptic feedback on the keyboard, download HapticPro (jailbreak app).

I'm taking this one step at a time. I decided to keep the iphone rather than returning it and waiting for the Thunderbolt. I am not all that crazy about the idea of jailbreaking. I know that 99% of users love it, but I am the guy who wants to keep things stock if possible, and avoid and bugs or issues with my phone that I probably won't be able to track and fix. I rooted my Evo and loved the ability to install custom roms etc. but they were buggy, and caused me more trouble than they were worth.

I think I will wait until iOS 5 and see what it brings. If apple doesn't offer a better notification system with iOS 5 I will go ahead and jailbreak. Who knows, maybe I will get brave and do it before this, but I'm just not in a big hurry to do it.

The first week I had the iphone, I was getting very frustrated with the missing features I had in Android. But now, I have become used to iOS and I'm starting to like it for what it is, and not what it is not. There are plenty of things that I like better on the iphone, and they outweigh the negatives at this point. I am glad I decided to keep it.

tourstagefan

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm taking this one step at a time. I decided to keep the iphone rather than returning it and waiting for the Thunderbolt. I am not all that crazy about the idea of jailbreaking. I know that 99% of users love it, but I am the guy who wants to keep things stock if possible, and avoid and bugs or issues with my phone that I probably won't be able to track and fix. I rooted my Evo and loved the ability to install custom roms etc. but they were buggy, and caused me more trouble than they were worth.

I think I will wait until iOS 5 and see what it brings. If apple doesn't offer a better notification system with iOS 5 I will go ahead and jailbreak. Who knows, maybe I will get brave and do it before this, but I'm just not in a big hurry to do it.

The first week I had the iphone, I was getting very frustrated with the missing features I had in Android. But now, I have become used to iOS and I'm starting to like it for what it is, and not what it is not. There are plenty of things that I like better on the iphone, and they outweigh the negatives at this point. I am glad I decided to keep it.

Glad to hear it!

P0stalTek

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Android devices I've owned....Original Droid, Ally, Fascinate, Incredible and Droid X...in the beginning, they are smooth and fast but then they become slow, sluggish and very laggy. I do love the notifications and Google voice turn by turn directions is fantastic. But I have TomTom on my iPhone and am customizing the notifications more since I JB it. For me personally, I'll never go back to Android.

This fella said what I'm going to reiterate.

I don't fault the opinions on the notifications system and that sort of thing. Oddly, it didn't bother me at all until after I jailbroke my iPhone. Now I SEE the glaring problems in some of the iPhone software.

That said, jailbreaking made everything better for me:

Notifications: LockInfo
SMS/MMS: biteSMS
Customization: Themes/Gridlock/folderenhancer
Calander: I don't use much tbh, but LockInfo displays them on the lock screen
Navigation: I intend to get Navigon, but have never used Droid Google Maps to be fair.

Now, I do realize that jailbreaking isn't for everyone, but for me it took a phone I was already excited about and made it... 1000% times better.

Now if I could only find a JB app that makes me french toast! :)

Good luck in whatever you decide.

aslondon

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm new here. I recently switched from a DX to an Iphone 4 32g. I really liked the Droid X, but it started doing funky things requiring a major reset of the phone, too much like BB storms I've had in past. I have a macbook pro at home and I have always lusted after an Iphone. Have been with VZN for several years and have been pretty satisfied with their coverage and customer service. They may not have all the esoteric answers that enthusiasts want, but they seem to try. Anyway, I'm pretty impressed with the new phone. It seems to have good sound quality in and out, as long as I hold the phone so I am talking in to the mic and not the speaker port! It's taking some getting used to, but I think it's a keeper. Love that screen

GolpherZX

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Battery. Hands down the best part for me. Today I used the iPhone to listen to music while at the office, then while working out in the basement of a big concrete building (no 3G), navigation via waze and all night playing games and reading this forum. 25% battery now. Never would have had that with my evo.

The iPhone just works and I don't have to tweak everything to get it to work well for me. Accessories being available is nice as well. I can go to a local retailer and get a speaker dock or other accessory if I need one.

In the end, and I can't stress this enough, it is a personal decision what you like better.

ladyc0524

Trusted Member
Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Just got my VZ iPhone today and I am completely in love! No lag, great battery life, beautiful screen, and tons of apps. The Droid 2 will be put in the closet!

Heather_S

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I truly hope i too will come to love my ip4 as much as you lot. I really want to love this phone, it is so pretty to look at and feels good in the hand... But i'll be tossed if i don't miss SOOO many things about my DX.

The screen is the main thing, i was really used to all that room. And my swipe..

jayhawkfan18

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
There are certain things that Android does well but overall I just feel like the iPhone is a much better quality device. I like that all of the apps work together with the pop up notifications and the unread counts. 3rd party apps on Android would rarely work seamlessly like they do on iOS.

JRoid

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Had the motorola droid, then went to the DINC. Battery life was horrible on both. I dropped my Incredible, screen cracked and didn't want to claim on insurance because the iPhone was coming out. So far so good, and I have waited patiently for the iPhone with temporary phones. Miss the notifications, but other than that, I am happy.

trjnberry

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I truly hope i too will come to love my ip4 as much as you lot. I really want to love this phone, it is so pretty to look at and feels good in the hand... But i'll be tossed if i don't miss SOOO many things about my DX.

The screen is the main thing, i was really used to all that room. And my swipe..

I have been reading these forums for a quite some time now and you seem to be a protypical Android user based on several of your prior posts, so I wonder why did you to upgrade to the VIP? Curiousity? Try something new? I am up for an upgrade in 2 weeks and I am very interested in the HTC Thunderbolt but like many other Verizon users, I have this "craving" for an iPhone. It seems to me that an Android user needs to be a programmer to enjoy their phone. I have no interest in rooting the device, so do you think a stock android is better than a stock iPhone?

I am sure that i am not the only one reading this thread, sitting on the fence between Android and iPhone as their next phone upgrade. It's great to read how cool the iPhone is compared to a BlackBerry, but when 30% of the Android users on Verizon are buying the iPhone, that's a pretty big percentage if Android is all the excitement and greatness. Listen to any ATT users in San Francisco or New York and you'd think everyone hates ATT and yet Verizon didn't get any 30% conversion. So, is the Android mostly hype?

Heather_S

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I have been reading these forums for a quite some time now and you seem to be a protypical Android user based on several of your prior posts, so I wonder why did you to upgrade to the VIP? Curiousity? Try something new? I am up for an upgrade in 2 weeks and I am very interested in the HTC Thunderbolt but like many other Verizon users, I have this "craving" for an iPhone. It seems to me that an Android user needs to be a programmer to enjoy their phone. I have no interest in rooting the device, so do you think a stock android is better than a stock iPhone?

I am sure that i am not the only one reading this thread, sitting on the fence between Android and iPhone as their next phone upgrade. It's great to read how cool the iPhone is compared to a BlackBerry, but when 30% of the Android users on Verizon are buying the iPhone, that's a pretty big percentage if Android is all the excitement and greatness. Listen to any ATT users in San Francisco or New York and you'd think everyone hates ATT and yet Verizon didn't get any 30% conversion. So, is the Android mostly hype?

It was mostly curiosity, i have read so much about it and must admit i wanted to see what all the hoopla was about..

I am just not WOW'd the way i had hoped. Is this do to my building it up in my head? I don't know. Is their a natural learning curve when getting used to a new device? I am sure there is. I don't hate or even dislike the ip4 at all.

I am just going through withdraws on a few things is all, i am sure in time it will all iron out. Now, would i get one again if i had it all to do again? THAT my friend is the $64,000.00 question..

Maybe not, knowing whats coming in the next few months. Did i just go for the shiny pretty new toy? Perhaps. But i do feel the ip4 to be a powerful capable device that like ALL devices has it drawbacks. NO device is the holy grail jesus phone. So i guess knowing what i know now, i may have waited. Simply because i sorely miss my swype and notifications dearly..

But i am no hater or fangirl, i will make the best of what i have. I have never been one to blast someone Else's choice. Use what works best for you.

As for being a programmer? Not so much. Everything i learned to do on my DX i learned out of curiosity, NOT necessity. I do enjoy a bit of tinkering about. But my DX did just fine before. I didn't need to do anything to it all.

So there you have it luv. I am slightly more than content with my ip4, but do miss many aspects of the Android system.
So i ordered a XOOM yesterday to quench my Android thirst:D

Cheers

H

Last edited:

Heather_S

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
so do you think a stock android is better than a stock iPhone?

It appears i over looked this very important question. I do apologize.

In a word no, not better, just different.

The Android system offers a bit more for the user, but they are things you may have no interest in doing. Or you may be able to JB your iphone and do.
It is after all person preference
I do think that they both offer something to most.

I rooted my DX, again for fun not necessity, but it did notifications and a few other things bone stock. Things i am no finding out my ip4 cant without app's or JB'n. So that was a little bit of a let down, but my own fault for not looking into it before jumping.

And there is really not a plain vanilla Android out except the OG Droid. Pretty much all Androids since have a factory supplied UI. Some good, some not so good.. But thats neither here nor there.

Cheers

H

durangojim#AC

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Had a droid then a dinc which I broke the screen on. Had vip4 for a week and really like it. I do miss android google maps and all the integrated voice actions.

gonzoguy24

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to quote this guy cuz I switched from a Droid incredible.

All the pros you list on here for the iPhone outweigh all of the cons you list. I had an O.G. Droid and an Incredible. You are also leaving out the fact that the iPhone just works, all the time, like you expect it to. This is not always the case with the cheap plasticy Android phones.

Switched to iOS from Android and could not be happier.

I was always rooting and running a different custom ROM to try and get a better experience out of android and it was very taxing. My new iPhone 4 is amazing.

I will be getting the iPhone 5 in a few months at full price. That is how much I love iOS.

$35 restocking fee, at least at the Verizon store.....

I was a HTC Evo user and decided to switch from Sprint to Verizon for better cell coverage in my area. I decided on the iPhone because I wanted one since their initial release, but never considered switching to AT&T because of inferior coverage (they don't even have 3G in my area). I liked Android, a LOT, but was convinced that I would love the iphone just as much... boy was I wrong.

I may get flamed for saying this, since this IS an iPhone forum, but IMO, Android is king here... there are just so many things that I took for granted in Android that iOS simply does not offer, or is incredibly difficult and/or needs jailbreaking to accomplish. Here are a few of my MAJOR complaints:

1) Notifications - They absolutely suck in iOS, plain and simple. The drop-down notification bar in Android is awesome. In iOS, notifications are just blue popup windows on your screen. Sometimes they get hidden behind new notifications and just disappear, and sometimes they seem to dismiss themselves, while other times they will just stack on top of eachother. Very annoying....

2) Calendar - Not up to par. I like to be reminded or nagged when I have an appointment alert, and have the option to snooze the alert for a given amount of time. This is not possible in iOS that I have found. You get a single alert, and popup window, that is easily lost in the shuffle (see above). There is also no week view in the stock calendar, only day or month. There are a lot of great calendar apps in the app store, but none that completely satisfy all of my needs.

3) Navigation - Android users need to be thankful for Google Navigation. It is awesome and iOS does not have anything even close to this, especially for free. There are TomTom apps in the app store that offer similar functionality (sans the google search integration) but cost anywhere from $25 and up. Google nav is priceless. The iOS maps app is similar to the google maps app that I had on my blackberry a few years ago. A decent map application, but leaves me wanting more.

4) Customization - I probably don't need to go here, everyone probably knows enough about this. In iOS, what you see is what you get. Sure, you can change the wallpaper. But anything else is too much of a pain to be worth it, or requires jailbreaking. Could not believe how difficult it was to add some ringtones to my iphone. Unless you purchase them in itunes, it requires downloading, converting, changing file extensions, and syncing them to your phone in itunes.... in other words, hardly worth it. Also, there is no customizing the SMS tones or email tones, period. What apple gives you (10 choices or so) is all you get, you can't even add more.

Also, I really like having the option to change my keyboard in Android (I love swype), as well as SMS apps etc. Forget it on the iphone, not happening.... This is just the tip of the iceberg, smartphones are all about customization, I like to have the freedom of choosing what I want.

5) Google integration - I am a Google Apps (for my domain) business user. I use GMail, Google Docs, Google Voice, Calendar, and pretty much everything else that Google offers. All of these services are pretty tightly integrated in Android. In iOS it is a bit too cumbersome. I am able to use most of these services still, but they are scattered throughout many apps that do not work well together.

Okay, so there are my gripes. I cannot say that I am completely dissatisfied with the iphone, because there are plenty of things that it does very well:

Netflix app - I have been wanting this for a while now. I got it, watched a movie, and that was it. Probably won't use the app again. I am rarely in a position where I really need to watch a movie on my little smartphone screen. It is a very neat app to have, but I don't need it.

Skype Video Chat - I was really disappointed that Skype had not released this for Android yet. I had a FFC on my Evo, but no skype app to video chat with anyone.... still kinda bummed that it isn't released yet, since I will likely be going back to android.

Facetime - This is very cool.... very very cool....

Other things worth noting:

- Screen is very nice
- Battery life is quite exceptional (this is the big downer for most android phones)
- iPod integration is a plus
- There are more accessories for iphone
- The iphone hardware design is second to none, I love the way this phone looks/feels
- More/higher quality apps in the app store (android is slowly catching up, though)
- Really nice camera (my Evo had a very nice camera too)

Everyone can call me names and shun me from the forums here if you would like, but I am just being brutally honest. The iPhone is beautiful, a really nice phone. But coming from Android, iOS has a LOT of catching up to do.....

I am going to return the iphone next week and wait for the Thunderbolt. I might try iPhone again someday, but right now it is just not for me....

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77