Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Anyone have this happen today?
My 3G next to Verizon changed to an "o"

k3q60x.png

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm guess the "o" is 1X. Just a guess though. At my job my service always goes back and forth between EVDO and 1X so when I see the switching between 3G and o, I'm just drawing that conclusion.

coltsbr

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
This is what the manual says about it.

"o"
GPRS/1xRTT
Shows that your carrier?s GPRS (GSM) or 1xRTT (CDMA) network is available, and iPhone can connect to the Internet over that network.

And I was told by tech that you lose the Verizon network when the "o" starts showing.

You might be right, it might be just like when the old phones said 1x.
All I know is that email were not coming through. I had to turn my "Data Roaming" on to get the 3G back and was told the Iphone needs that turned on to keep the Verizon network attached to the device.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
When I was on ATT I would get the "o" when the signal was even worse than EDGE.
It meant GSRM. So if we get to a 1X area we'll still get the 1X won't we?

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
1X is still connected to VZW voice and text services while it's searching for 3G coverage. I have still been able to load information that requires an internet connect when the device is on o. It's very slow but you are still connected though to the voice and texting service part of the network.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
When I was on ATT I would get the "o" when the signal was even worse than EDGE.
It meant GSRM. So if we get to a 1X area we'll still get the 1X won't we?

I doubt it because usually Verizon phones would show EV when in 3G coverage. But they don't. They just show 3G. So I don't think we can fully make that a parallel when it's not consistent.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
You can still use the phone with the 'o' showing, that's GPRS/1X aka legacy 2G networks. They are even slower than dialup internet. I think GPRS tops out at 24kbps or something, not sure about Verizon's 1X network but probably equally as bad.

What is Verizon's 2.5G/EDGE network? Has anyone see that pop up?

coltsbr

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
You can still use the phone with the 'o' showing, that's GPRS/1X aka legacy 2G networks. They are even slower than dialup internet. I think GPRS tops out at 24kbps or something, not sure about Verizon's 1X network but probably equally as bad.

What is Verizon's 2.5G/EDGE network? Has anyone see that pop up?

The only other thing that I have had come up was "EXTENDED" It took the place of the Verizon 3G.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
The only other thing that I have had come up was "EXTENDED" It took the place of the Verizon 3G.

Interesting, wonder if that was something else or a partner network.

Roaming might be a triangle though, I forget and haven't seen it in a long time.

coltsbr

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Interesting, wonder if that was something else or a partner network.

Roaming might be a triangle though, I forget and haven't seen it in a long time.

It was kind of strange. It happend right when I got down to one bar in a poor reception area. But never have seen it since and that was Monday night.

cold war kid

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
It's pretty simple.

Verizon iPhone (CDMA):
3G= EVDO Rev. A (Fast Data)
O= 1XRTT (Slow Data)
Carier Name Only: No data connection. Voice & SMS only.

AT&T iPhone (GSM):
3G= HSPA (Fast Data, Simultanious Voice & Data)
E= EDGE (Moderately Fast Data)
O= GPRS (Slow Data)
Carier Name Only: No data connection. Voice & SMS only.

Also someone asked what Verizon's EDGE (2.5G) equivalent was; the answer is there is none. Verizon (and Sprint) went straight from legacy 2G technologies to 3G, there is no in between for CDMA networks.

Reactions: Libuff

coltsbr

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Since there are a lot of us that have had there phones for a couple weeks now I just wondered if anyone was having this issue. Verizon is offering to send me a new one since I'm still in the 14 day window.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2