Anyone have this happen today?
    My 3G next to Verizon changed to an "o"

02-10-2011 02:14 PM
    I'm guess the "o" is 1X. Just a guess though. At my job my service always goes back and forth between EVDO and 1X so when I see the switching between 3G and o, I'm just drawing that conclusion.
    02-10-2011 02:18 PM
    I'm guess the "o" is 1X. Just a guess though. At my job my service always goes back and forth between EVDO and 1X so when I see the switching between 3G and o, I'm just drawing that conclusion.
    i concur...
    02-10-2011 02:19 PM
    And that is the correct conclusion per the user manual pdf, chapter 1, page 17.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/...User_Guide.pdf
    02-10-2011 02:26 PM
    This is what the manual says about it.

"o"
    GPRS/1xRTT
    Shows that your carriers GPRS (GSM) or 1xRTT (CDMA) network is available, and iPhone can connect to the Internet over that network.

And I was told by tech that you lose the Verizon network when the "o" starts showing.

You might be right, it might be just like when the old phones said 1x.
    All I know is that email were not coming through. I had to turn my "Data Roaming" on to get the 3G back and was told the Iphone needs that turned on to keep the Verizon network attached to the device.
    02-10-2011 02:28 PM
    And that is the correct conclusion per the user manual pdf, chapter 1, page 17.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/...User_Guide.pdf
    I stopped looking at iPhone user guides since the 3G LOL.
    02-10-2011 02:30 PM
    When I was on ATT I would get the "o" when the signal was even worse than EDGE.
    It meant GSRM. So if we get to a 1X area we'll still get the 1X won't we?
    02-10-2011 02:35 PM
    1X is still connected to VZW voice and text services while it's searching for 3G coverage. I have still been able to load information that requires an internet connect when the device is on o. It's very slow but you are still connected though to the voice and texting service part of the network.
    02-10-2011 02:35 PM
    When I was on ATT I would get the "o" when the signal was even worse than EDGE.
    It meant GSRM. So if we get to a 1X area we'll still get the 1X won't we?
    I doubt it because usually Verizon phones would show EV when in 3G coverage. But they don't. They just show 3G. So I don't think we can fully make that a parallel when it's not consistent.
    02-10-2011 02:36 PM
    You can still use the phone with the 'o' showing, that's GPRS/1X aka legacy 2G networks. They are even slower than dialup internet. I think GPRS tops out at 24kbps or something, not sure about Verizon's 1X network but probably equally as bad.

What is Verizon's 2.5G/EDGE network? Has anyone see that pop up?
    02-10-2011 02:39 PM
    "o" means no data coverage. End of story
    02-10-2011 02:42 PM
    You can still use the phone with the 'o' showing, that's GPRS/1X aka legacy 2G networks. They are even slower than dialup internet. I think GPRS tops out at 24kbps or something, not sure about Verizon's 1X network but probably equally as bad.

What is Verizon's 2.5G/EDGE network? Has anyone see that pop up?
    The only other thing that I have had come up was "EXTENDED" It took the place of the Verizon 3G.
    02-10-2011 02:42 PM
    "o" means no data coverage. End of story
    not true, I was in the middle of nowhere yesterday for work. Got the o sign on my verizon iphone and still had data, just really slow, I figured it was the 1X signal.
    02-10-2011 03:28 PM
    Havent had this happen to me I have had great signal wherever I go
    02-10-2011 03:30 PM
    By the way, I meant GPRS in my first post. Don't know what I was thinking with GSRM
    02-10-2011 03:35 PM
    The only other thing that I have had come up was "EXTENDED" It took the place of the Verizon 3G.
    Interesting, wonder if that was something else or a partner network.

Roaming might be a triangle though, I forget and haven't seen it in a long time.
    02-10-2011 03:53 PM
    Interesting, wonder if that was something else or a partner network.

Roaming might be a triangle though, I forget and haven't seen it in a long time.
    It was kind of strange. It happend right when I got down to one bar in a poor reception area. But never have seen it since and that was Monday night.
    02-10-2011 03:57 PM
    Ive seen it a few times, but ususally goes right back to 3G
    02-10-2011 04:02 PM
    It's pretty simple.

Verizon iPhone (CDMA):
    3G= EVDO Rev. A (Fast Data)
    O= 1XRTT (Slow Data)
    Carier Name Only: No data connection. Voice & SMS only.

AT&T iPhone (GSM):
    3G= HSPA (Fast Data, Simultanious Voice & Data)
    E= EDGE (Moderately Fast Data)
    O= GPRS (Slow Data)
    Carier Name Only: No data connection. Voice & SMS only.

Also someone asked what Verizon's EDGE (2.5G) equivalent was; the answer is there is none. Verizon (and Sprint) went straight from legacy 2G technologies to 3G, there is no in between for CDMA networks.
    Libuff likes this.
    02-12-2011 11:56 PM
    Since there are a lot of us that have had there phones for a couple weeks now I just wondered if anyone was having this issue. Verizon is offering to send me a new one since I'm still in the 14 day window.
    02-21-2011 01:30 PM
    Since there are a lot of us that have had there phones for a couple weeks now I just wondered if anyone was having this issue. Verizon is offering to send me a new one since I'm still in the 14 day window.
    I wouldn't worry about it unless you are getting that indicator when others near you with Verizon phones are getting 3G indicators at the same time.
    02-21-2011 02:10 PM
    My 3G turns to the o quite often. I have no less than 3 bars in my house when this happens. Not sure what is going on but it only happens at my house and I have to go into airplane mode to get 3G back.
    02-21-2011 03:41 PM
    My 3G turns to the o quite often. I have no less than 3 bars in my house when this happens. Not sure what is going on but it only happens at my house and I have to go into airplane mode to get 3G back.
    The "o" means you are in the 1X or 2G service area. I have been told this is not uncommon to happen. Mine does it from time to time but other than that it works awesome! It usally goes back after a few min or like you said turning the service off in airplane mode and switching it back on. I was talking to a guy at the apple store over the weekend that said his did the same thing from time to time.

If you go under setting<General<Network

Is your Data Roaming turned on or off?????
    02-21-2011 03:46 PM
    Two reasons that will happen - the 3G capacity is maxed out, so your phone fall back to a 1X signal (the '0') that it can lock on to, or - the 3G signal isn't strong enough, and - the 1X is stronger, so that's what the phone will latch on to, and try to keep. It's the nature of CDMA service.
    02-21-2011 03:59 PM
    mine flops from 3g to nothing just verizon all the time,but only after i jailbroke it.it stayed in 3g all the time b4 hand.I thought it was just part of the theme i'm running currently.
    02-21-2011 04:22 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD