Anyone have their 3G change to "o"

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Since there are a lot of us that have had there phones for a couple weeks now I just wondered if anyone was having this issue. Verizon is offering to send me a new one since I'm still in the 14 day window.
I wouldn't worry about it unless you are getting that indicator when others near you with Verizon phones are getting 3G indicators at the same time.

epphllps

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Since there are a lot of us that have had there phones for a couple weeks now I just wondered if anyone was having this issue. Verizon is offering to send me a new one since I'm still in the 14 day window.

My 3G turns to the o quite often. I have no less than 3 bars in my house when this happens. Not sure what is going on but it only happens at my house and I have to go into airplane mode to get 3G back.

coltsbr

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
My 3G turns to the o quite often. I have no less than 3 bars in my house when this happens. Not sure what is going on but it only happens at my house and I have to go into airplane mode to get 3G back.

The "o" means you are in the 1X or 2G service area. I have been told this is not uncommon to happen. Mine does it from time to time but other than that it works awesome! It usally goes back after a few min or like you said turning the service off in airplane mode and switching it back on. I was talking to a guy at the apple store over the weekend that said his did the same thing from time to time.

If you go under setting<General<Network

Is your Data Roaming turned on or off?????

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

Two reasons that will happen - the 3G capacity is maxed out, so your phone fall back to a 1X signal (the '0') that it can lock on to, or - the 3G signal isn't strong enough, and - the 1X is stronger, so that's what the phone will latch on to, and try to keep. It's the nature of CDMA service.

jaywiz

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
mine flops from 3g to nothing just verizon all the time,but only after i jailbroke it.it stayed in 3g all the time b4 hand.I thought it was just part of the theme i'm running currently.

epphllps

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, I knew it meant 1X but it is still incredibly annoying to surf the web or forums like I am now and have it drop from 3G. Just did it actually. I am around 2 miles from a VZW tower also. I can deal with it but definitely annoying as my EVO never did this.

mededitor

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I had it happen to me today for the first time, at least as far as I've noticed. I was in a large supermarket when I noticed it. I was using my ViP to access the Internet and I had no trouble getting on and getting to the site I wanted. The signal returned to 3G when I turned around toward the windows, so I might have just been standing in a bad spot.

Otherwise, no complaints about the signal from my jailbroken ViP. In fact, I'm finding the signal to be much better than my VZW BB Bold 9650.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Hmm. Sounds like to me that the nation's most reliable network isn't so reliable if it drops from their 3G to 1xRTT frequently like that for some. Either that or maybe the issue isn't really anyone's network, but a poor stack from Apple. Several co-workers had either Blackberry or Windows mobile phones before they switched to the ViPhone. I can easily say that their voice quality has gone south.

YMMV.

mededitor

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I think it all depends on your specific location. I know that in my area I am getting a consistently good signal, much better than I ever got on my Verizon BB. In fact, people have said that I sound much better on the iPhone than I did on the BB.

I did have the "o" incident today, but it went back to 3G pretty quickly.

Where I live, which is northern NJ, Verizon has the best signal of all the carriers; I don't know anyone who isn't on Verizon. Around here, Verizon does have the most reliable network.

As you said, YMMV, and that really depends on where you live and/or spend the most time. It's less carrier vs carrier as it is location vs location, at least IMHO.

coltsbr

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
For you all that have had this happen, do you have your "Data Roaming" turned on or off?

Mine was turned off out of the box and have since turned it on after talking to tech and that seemed to really help.

o0oboneheado0o

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I have this problem at work... Always "o" and my two coworkers have the same phone, OS, etc and they are fine all day and have "3G" ALL DAY!!!!... My battery is gone by the end of the day and theirs aren't... WTF!!! what is up with this?????

coltsbr

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I have this problem at work... Always "o" and my two coworkers have the same phone, OS, etc and they are fine all day and have "3G" ALL DAY!!!!... My battery is gone by the end of the day and theirs aren't... WTF!!! what is up with this?????

Go under Settings,General,Network and make sure you have Data Roaming turned on. See if that changes things for you at work.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I'm curious what turning on data roaming is doing for the Verizon iPhone. What other network can it roam onto? Can you roam onto Sprint? All the other regional networks that I know off generally roam onto Verizon's, not the other way around.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm curious what turning on data roaming is doing for the Verizon iPhone. What other network can it roam onto? Can you roam onto Sprint? All the other regional networks that I know off generally roam onto Verizon's, not the other way around.

Roaming agreements are typically two-way streets... however, the PRLs in phones determine which networks your phone will hit, in what order. In most cases, a Verizon device will seek Verizon owned networks first, and then others... there have been localized instances however where a PRL might allow 'roaming' on another company's network before Verizon's - but those are rare.

I'm not sure what impact turning data roaming on/off will have in good coverage areas - I know it's good to turn it off in instances where you might be near a national boarder, and might lock onto an expensive data signal without knowing it until you get an outrageous bill.

epphllps

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Data roaming makes no difference on my end as I never lose VZW data. It is still going to be 1X when you data roam, so I'm told. I turn data roaming off most of the time as I always have VZW coverage but even with it on I'm always switching to the lovely 1X "o".

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
If you turn on roaming won't that get you billed extra if you end up roaming?

Only if you're out of the US in a place where CDMA is supported, or - if you happen to be in a border area where you might pick up an international tower.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2