Why no flip/clamshell for the iphone?

KnightInExile

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Curious, I've noticed that the iphones (as well as iphone 4) does not come in flip/clamshell types. Also, I am seeing less and less of them in regards to non-iphone types as well. I would imagine that flip/clamshells offers better protection to the buttons and screen, whereas, the iphones are a one-piece item and can easily get damaged.

Why are the flip/clamshell models declining in popularity? Is it because having two LCD screens cuts on battery life? Or is it because the hinges eventually wears out and breaks apart due to overuse? Or is it something else entirely? Is Apple considering releasing a flip/clamshell model in the near future?

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Really? Not to be rude but do you know anything about Apple? Flip phones are ugly, Apple does not do ugly. Not to mention the fact that there is no way that the iPhone could ever function as a flip style phone. What makes the iPhone and other phones function the way that they do is that they have a large screen and that is not something that you can have on a flip phone. Just look at that pile of junk BB style and you will see what I mean.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
In a sense, we have gone back to the candy bar style phones, just removed the buttons and have a screen. Apple makes quality products so there's a less chance the screen will crack unless you (the owner) is rough with it. As for the button being damaged, the home button is pretty much flush with the glass. The other buttons are solid.

I mean look at these mock up from out good friend google

umang1.jpg

img_0034.jpg

You get the idea.

KnightInExile

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Really? Not to be rude but do you know anything about Apple? Flip phones are ugly, Apple does not do ugly. Not to mention the fact that there is no way that the iPhone could ever function as a flip style phone. What makes the iPhone and other phones function the way that they do is that they have a large screen and that is not something that you can have on a flip phone. Just look at that pile of junk BB style and you will see what I mean.

No offense taken. I don't really know much about iphones, which is why I'm here. :) In regards to flips being ugly, some are, but some aren't. It's interesting that you mentioned BB because they just came out with the first qwerty flip phone 9670 model. Talk about ugly! :p

hoosieriphone

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
ugly

I don't do ugly..... That is why I switched from Blackberry to iPhone. I feel like I am holding a beautiful piece of art in my hand.:D

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Can you imagine the size of a flip phone to get a 3.5-4" screen? The screens on the flip phones aren't nearly big enough... and as everyone else has said... flip phones are ugly.

NEO2126

Sep 29, 2009
Visit site
flip clamp shells seem to break way to fast for me... maybe im too rough on my phones, but my iphone is cared for like a newborn, most of the time...

ImStrapped

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Flip used to be the stuff after all those candy bar Nokia phones but its like Justin Bieber - it comes and goes n no one gives lol. Flip phones are just ugly.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
its not that apple doesnt do ugly is that apple doesnt do options they make one thing and stick with it very seldom in any of there products do they do something different they make small changes each year thats it

cpc12

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
flip phones are the Bomb !!! I still rock my Star Tac.

You know your old skool if you know what Im talking about.

1996. old

SurfStoked

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
Flip and clamshell phones tend to eventully have hardware issues. The "Candybar" style phones seem to be the big thing right now

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2