Is the iPhone right for me? Decide for me please!

hotfoot982

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone
I'm on Verizon and I have been due for an upgrade since March of 2010. I've been debating back and forth whether or not I should get a smartphone from Verizon. But now since the iPhone is coming out I am way more confident I want one. I still have my doubts and questions though and hopefully this community could help me out!
As of now I don't pay for a data plan. Im 18 and my father pays for the bill right now but he sure as hell won't pay for the data plan if I get it. I have a job so I can deal with $30 a month. So first off is the limited offer of $30 a month for unlimited data worth it in general? More importantly since it's a limited time offer once it ends how much will I have to spend? I really do not want to spend more then $30 a month for the data plan. There are not any extra charges besides the data plans as well right?
Another topic is that should I just get it now and not wait for the LTE version? I live in Northern NJ so would it be worth it by looking at this map?:
http://www.intomobile.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/verizon-lte-map.jpg
I cant tell if LTE covers my area. Also as I said I was due for an upgrade since March of 2010 so that basically means if I get this iPhone in one year I can get another upgrade. So maybe it is worth it getting this one? Once it comes down to it there will always be a future product once a current product is out so might as well go for it I suppose. Any opinions?
I would also like to jailbreak it if I could.

Review of questions:
- Is the limited offer of $30 a month for unlimited data worth it in general?
- Once the limited time offer ends how much will I have to spend? I don't want to pay anything above $30. I heard of a 2gb for $25 a month plan. Is that enough data (2gb) for the month though?
- Are there any other extra charges beside the data plan?
- Should I get the iPhone for feb. or wait until the summer? I can upgrade again in March of 2012

Thank you in advance for helping me out! :)

Darth-gamer

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Review of questions:
- Is the limited offer of $30 a month for unlimited data worth it in general?
- Once the limited time offer ends how much will I have to spend? I don't want to pay anything above $30. I heard of a 2gb for $25 a month plan. Is that enough data (2gb) for the month though?
- Are there any other extra charges beside the data plan?
- Should I get the iPhone for feb. or wait until the summer? I can upgrade again in March of 2012

Thank you in advance for helping me out! :)

1) It depends on you. What do you plan to do with the phone?
2) If you get the unlimited plan, it will be unlimited until you get rid of the phone.
3) The cost for the line...?
4) Again, that is up to you. You COULD wait until the iPhone 8 comes out if you wanted, it is just a question of if you want it now or later.

CPColley

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Far as I know there is no other fees besides your regular plan and the data fee. About the data being more I don't believe it'll change but maybe not be offered anymore if verizons networks get hammered like AT&T did. I say if you need or cantn wait for a new phone get the iPhone 4 now but if you can... Wait to see what comes out this summer... Probably the iPhone 5!!!

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'd do some shopping around and see who has the best deal that you can afford. Since you have a job, If I were you I'd pay the bill, not your father. It will be a great start at learning how to manage your money

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Review of questions:
- Is the limited offer of $30 a month for unlimited data worth it in general? -- I don't like surprises, so I think it is worth it to not worry.
AT&T says 98% of their customers don't go over that. No telling what Verizon will offer. If you have the unlimited and they begin a lower priced limited plan, you could always drop down.
- Are there any other extra charges beside the data plan? Your normal voice and text plans. Mobile hotspot will be extra if you want it. $20. No word yet if visual voicemail will be extra. I don't think it is extra on AT&T. Verizon does for other phones, but no word for iPhone.
- Should I get the iPhone for feb. or wait until the summer? I can upgrade again in March of 2012 -- there will always be a new phone. Make the decision based on if this iPhone is good enough for you for the next two years. I say two years because even though you waited a year to use your upgrade, once you do, it will start a new two year contract. So assume you get this one, you'll be eligible for an upgrade in august 2012.

lcargile

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
So heres the deal bro, think of buying a smartphone like buying a truck. If all you have ever had is a single cab pickup, then it seems like all you need. But, you buy an extended cab and now you can't picture ever going back. Then when you upgrade to a full supercab 4 door pickup you wonder how you survived without it. If you have a basic feature phone right now you will not understand how you lived without a smartphone once you first get one. The options are endless and they provide you with so much entertainment through the daily BS that one has to deal with. As far as the price goes, if you buy an unlimited plan right now (which is what I have) you will ALWAYS have unlimited. I have been with Verizon for 10 years and it doesn't matter how many times they change their plans around, I will always be "grandfathered" into my current unlimited data plan.
Question 1 Answer: Yes it is VERY VERY VERY worth it. The last thing you want is to be stuck with watching your data usage because it varies so much and you will use it differently every month.
Question 2 Answer: No, if you jump on board while data is still unlimited, then you will always be unlimited like the rest of us smart people. :)
Question 3 Answer: If your already for paying for features like insurance, text/picture messaging and a voice plan then no, you will not need to purchase anything other than the smartphone and data plan.
As for the answer to question 4, thats really up to you man. Im jumping on board for this reason; because of my account (which anyone can do this if they just sign up for a 1 year contract) I am allowed 1 upgrade every year. I know for a fact that Verizon's LTE network will not be up and running until next year. On top of that, Apple will still be working out the kinks for LTE on their products and they always say never buy the first model. Plus, the current iPhone 4 will handle anything you ask it to and probably beg for more. Its a beast and runs very smooth and efficiently. Plus, you have to settle sometime because something new is always around the corner. In my opinion, you definitely should jump on the smartphone bandwaggon and what better way to do that than buy one of the best smartphones out there on the best network out there (in my area people so please dont shoot me :)). Think it over but I would do it for sure. Hope that helps. Deuces.

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
So heres the deal bro, think of buying a smartphone like buying a truck. If all you have ever had is a single cab pickup, then it seems like all you need. But, you buy an extended cab and now you can't picture ever going back. Then when you upgrade to a full supercab 4 door pickup you wonder how you survived without it. If you have a basic feature phone right now you will not understand how you lived without a smartphone once you first get one. The options are endless and they provide you with so much entertainment through the daily BS that one has to deal with. As far as the price goes, if you buy an unlimited plan right now (which is what I have) you will ALWAYS have unlimited. I have been with Verizon for 10 years and it doesn't matter how many times they change their plans around, I will always be "grandfathered" into my current unlimited data plan.
Question 1 Answer: Yes it is VERY VERY VERY worth it. The last thing you want is to be stuck with watching your data usage because it varies so much and you will use it differently every month.
Question 2 Answer: No, if you jump on board while data is still unlimited, then you will always be unlimited like the rest of us smart people. :)
Question 3 Answer: If your already for paying for features like insurance, text/picture messaging and a voice plan then no, you will not need to purchase anything other than the smartphone and data plan.
As for the answer to question 4, thats really up to you man. Im jumping on board for this reason; because of my account (which anyone can do this if they just sign up for a 1 year contract) I am allowed 1 upgrade every year. I know for a fact that Verizon's LTE network will not be up and running until next year. On top of that, Apple will still be working out the kinks for LTE on their products and they always say never buy the first model. Plus, the current iPhone 4 will handle anything you ask it to and probably beg for more. Its a beast and runs very smooth and efficiently. Plus, you have to settle sometime because something new is always around the corner. In my opinion, you definitely should jump on the smartphone bandwaggon and what better way to do that than buy one of the best smartphones out there on the best network out there (in my area people so please dont shoot me :)). Think it over but I would do it for sure. Hope that helps. Deuces.

There is no word if they will allow 1 year contracts and also they got rid of annual upgrades

lcargile

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
True, but who's to say they wont offer the one year option. Plus, if your like me and have 4 different lines each with feature phones on 1 year contracts and people that never upgrade their phones, you get the option to upgrade once a year at least. Im only saying there are ways to get around stuff like that. But, my point to the OP is that you should probably give LTE some time to work itself out before deciding to wait on it and then dive right in. Its a new technology and is going to take a little while to hammer out all the dings. I think by iPhone (6) launch next year we could see a decent LTE iPhone but it really depends on how well all the carriers will be able to provide it. The last thing you want is something like "antennagate" all over again since you know they will be changing the antenna for LTE. Just something to think about. :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2