My thoughts on switching from Android to iOS

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I am also in this boat.

I got a Droid Eris day one. Picked it over the droid 1. This has been a powerhouse in the custom rom department. My eris is running 2.2 and 2.3 is on the way via XDA. But the issue for me is apps and fragmentation.

Android is always behind iOS for the latest apps. It sucks.

I want Epic Win, i want cut the rope, i want hulu.....and so on and so on....

so the choice is easy for me. I go where i can get the best apps, and this is the iPhone.

S.meezy#CB

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the link... I love android, but i hate it at the same time... after using my iPad since release day, I can see some things i like more about Android/iOS, but currently iOS is better suited for me...

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
all i really care about is the fragmentation. thats where android lacks where as ios every phone gets the updates unlike android where only certain phones get the updates and can wait months to get the updates once one phone has it

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
all i really care about is the fragmentation. thats where android lacks where as ios every phone gets the updates unlike android where only certain phones get the updates and can wait months to get the updates once one phone has it

+1

Apple may not be on as fast of an upgrade schedule as Google (I mean crap, right now Gingerbread, Honeycomb, and now Ice Cream Sandwich are all on a collision course and will be out soon), but my Samsung Fascinate is yet to see Froyo (2.2) and there's no definite date for that.

I like knowing when Apple releases an update, EVERY current iPhone can download it (I say current, excluding the older models they no longer support).

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
+1

Apple may not be on as fast of an upgrade schedule as Google (I mean crap, right now Gingerbread, Honeycomb, and now Ice Cream Sandwich are all on a collision course and will be out soon), but my Samsung Fascinate is yet to see Froyo (2.2) and there's no definite date for that.

I like knowing when Apple releases an update, EVERY current iPhone can download it (I say current, excluding the older models they no longer support).

I agree now if android was the same way then it would be different but that wont happen since the manufactures like to put their skins on the phones which causes an ever increasing delay. Atleast once an update is out you can download it dont need to wait

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
iOs 5 will be the deal breaker. Sure I love the large screen, but there are many things in android that are not in iOs like improved notification system, widgets (that I use daily) full blown google search with voice command. (meaning you can search for anhything, not just "call home" or "Play Red Hot Chili Peppers", but rather "Find Portland, Oregon" and it will bring up the maps app, or "Find closest Hamburger joint" and boom! it will find it with a google search or even ask you what program. (Like on my phone I have not only google search, but I also have Yellow Book, so I can find that closest burger joint via the yellow pages on my phone and yes, it will do the current location deal)

I do agree some phones get updates later on and that can be a pain, but that mostly has to do with the skins the manufacturers put on and trust me, the stock android sucks big time. HTC Sense is about as close to a rich UI ad you can get besides iOS. Just wish the screens on the HTC phones were as good as Samsungs.

as for the apps, its not that they are behind, its just not many developers want to develop for Android. From what I heard apps on android can be a ***** to develop and the fact it uses google check out rather the thing on Apples side.

If Apple can develop a larger screen phone along side the 3.5" model, and improve many things in iOs 5 I may switch, but key things like the large screen, and some of androids rich features are keeping me with my EVO.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I agree now if android was the same way then it would be different but that wont happen since the manufactures like to put their skins on the phones which causes an ever increasing delay. Atleast once an update is out you can download it dont need to wait

With the iPhone, you can only update via iTunes and with a cable. The nice thing about android is you can update over wifi, 3G or 4G. thats kind of a drawback. You could be out of town and chose to bring your iPad and not your laptop and there is a update. You have to wait till you get home to do it.

Over the air updates might be good for those who have unlimited plans. Those who don't might as well do it with wifi.

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
With the iPhone, you can only update via iTunes and with a cable. The nice thing about android is you can update over wifi, 3G or 4G. thats kind of a drawback. You could be out of town and chose to bring your iPad and not your laptop and there is a update. You have to wait till you get home to do it.

Over the air updates might be good for those who have unlimited plans. Those who don't might as well do it with wifi.

Thats true but im sure most people could wait the extra day or so to update if they are out of town or not at their computer

Tanker57

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
The only thing that bugs me about my Droid X is the lack of an accessory culture like the iPod, iPhone, Touch, etc. I have an iPod charging/FM modulator in my car, i have an iPod portable speaker system, i have an iPod boombox, and i have a Droid X windshield mount...awesome. If there were cool accessories that supported these Android phones i might be more inclined to hang out a little longer.

Reactions: jharo

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Apps are better on the iPhone because people are willing to pay for them so long as they are of a good quality. Even Rovio (Angry Birds creator) said it's hard to get people to buy apps on Android. So why would the big developers waste time on making Android apps is beyond me.

thebizz

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
What you fail to take into account is how much Rovio makes off of adds. I'm not sure what I want to get their are positives of both ios and android but the timing of this release and v5 of the iPhone makes me want to wait and see what apple brings to the table. But I know I will get this for the wifey
Edit
Also take into account apple's backup and restore system currently you have to be rooted to get anything close to that on android. But with automatic restoration of contacts apps calendar and some settings I don't know wish I could get both without voiding my warranty

Last edited:

rich13er

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I am moving over to Apple. But I will miss some things about the android operating system. The notification system and the widgets will be the biggest. What I will not miss is the driod's OS dragging. I have the orginal droid and it has been a great, but kills me when either a app does not close or I'm flipping through screens and it drags. I think that what is one of the biggest issue with the andriod OS is too many models out there running it and they are running a differnet version. OH well won't matter to me much longer. Happily going to join the iphone groupies.

durangojim#AC

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I am moving over to Apple. But I will miss some things about the android operating system. The notification system and the widgets will be the biggest. What I will not miss is the driod's OS dragging. I have the orginal droid and it has been a great, but kills me when either a app does not close or I'm flipping through screens and it drags. I think that what is one of the biggest issue with the andriod OS is too many models out there running it and they are running a differnet version. OH well won't matter to me much longer. Happily going to join the iphone groupies.

I agree with what you've said. I'll definitely miss the widgets, Gmail integration, and Maps, and larger screens, but I'm looking forward to having more quality apps.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
One thing about switching to an iphone is the ecosystem that exists for it.

There's the apple tv in the living room. There's the itunes library (along with apps) built up over the years. There's the ipod touch and ipad. My wife and i have iphones.

We're used to sharing apps, being able to use airplay on the tv, etc. For example, my 4 yr old can use her ipod to play any of her shows on the tv using airplay (which is only going to get better). My iphone is used as a GPS in car with a tomtom dock, as well as the music/radio hub.

I see many who just look at phones in a limited way. "My android has widgets..take that..you iphone user" I just roll my eyes at em. "WebOS can multitask better" Umm..that's nice.

When you switch phones, you're switching ecosystems. Instead of looking at a phone by itself, you should look at the whole picture.

durangojim#AC

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
One thing about switching to an iphone is the ecosystem that exists for it.

There's the apple tv in the living room. There's the itunes library (along with apps) built up over the years. There's the ipod touch and ipad. My wife and i have iphones.

We're used to sharing apps, being able to use airplay on the tv, etc. For example, my 4 yr old can use her ipod to play any of her shows on the tv using airplay (which is only going to get better). My iphone is used as a GPS in car with a tomtom dock, as well as the music/radio hub.

I see many who just look at phones in a limited way. "My android has widgets..take that..you iphone user" I just roll my eyes at em. "WebOS can multitask better" Umm..that's nice.

When you switch phones, you're switching ecosystems. Instead of looking at a phone by itself, you should look at the whole picture.

You're right about ecosystems, my only concern is for us who are tied into the Google ecosystem and the things it provides will it be a comparable experience on iOS? I hope so and think it will be close.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77