Find My iPhone easy to bypass?

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
So, with the new freebie for iOS 4.2, how easy would it be to bypass Find My iPhone? If it's set up via the new email account settings in Preferences, wouldn't a thief just erase that account and completely bypass the feature?

rgar3388

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
Most thieves aren't smart enough to do that or know how to even use an iPhone which is why they're thieves in the first place. But just in case they are, you have to get to a computer or another iPhone fast to lock it if it's not already locked. Then locate it, and send it a message saying the police is on its way. And if there is absolutely no chance you're getting it, just remote wipe it. :)

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
Therein lies the problem. I use mine for work and get text messages all day long. It's a pain in the ass to have to unlock it way. I'd love to see voice recognition to unlock it, ya know?

Kannon#AC

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
I guess it's a trade-off between convenience and security. I never used to use a password to unlock but once I added my work's exchange server to the phone, I started using one. After a week or so, it's pretty automatic.

Also...it would be easy to unlock my front door with a voice command but until they come out with that, I have to use a key :)

lonbeehold

May 29, 2009
Visit site
I know. I just really dislike thieves.

Ditto. I am a criminal prosecutor and nearly every day I have cases involving stolen iPhones. My favorite was a phone found via the Find My iPhone ping. The kids who took the phone during a robbery had no idea how to turn it off. The police followed the ping and found the phone. Priceless.

amg

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
My company's enforced Exchange security policy includes a device wipe after 10 incorrect passwords. As valuable as MobileMe is, the second a thief (or even innocent "finder") hits the 10th wrong code, my ability to locate and trace the device is history... That said, since Apple logs serial numbers when activating via iTunes, maybe all wouldn't be lost...

TampaDude

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Just take out the SIM card. Done.

Unless it's unlocked, then all they'll have is a fancy iPod Touch. AT&T will blacklist the IMEI # when it's reported stolen.

Scratch that...AT&T no longer blacklists IMEI #s. I guess they're more interested in signing the thief up for new services than helping you get your phone back.

Guess you have to treat your iPhone like a stack of 6 or 7 $100 bills. Lose it and you are SOL.

Last edited:

Lifein2D

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
For me I have to have my phone locked do to my company's exchange account. It also has the 5 wrong password entries and it auto wipes itself.

But I think your only options are lock it, hope the thief is stupid, or be ready to buy a new phone if its stolen.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2